Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carrie performing at Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Nov 3

maddkat

Staff member

George Michael – who died seven years ago on Christmas Day – was a vocal dynamo, the rare pop star whose celebrity was matched by their vocal prowess. So it only made sense that the night’s most vocally impressive moment came during his homage. After an induction by Wham! bandmade Andrew Ridgley, who got a big laugh describing Michael as “the not quite so good looking one in Wham!,” Miguel crooned “Careless Whisper,” followed by Adam Levine singing a slinky “Faith.” But Carrie Underwood stole the show with a soul-rending “One More Try,” imbuing it with all the hurt, yearning and quiet grace of Michael’s original.

maddkat

Staff member

Carrie Underwood’s Revelatory George Michael Cover

The late George Michael was inducted by Andrew Ridgely, his childhood friend and former bandmate in Wham!, who few people recognized at first due to his long-since-receded hairline. A trio of performances followed, with Miguel starting with a strong “Careless Whisper” (accompanied by the E Street Band’s Jake Clemons on sax), a mediocre “Faith” from Adam Levine, and finally, a stunning version of “One More Try” from Carrie Underwood, who brought the house down with an emotional, soaring performance that makes you wonder why she doesn’t sing songs like that all the time. The tribute video also featured some hilarious quotes from Michael, particularly when he said the two records he first owned as a child were by the Supremes and Tom Jones — noting that his music was somewhere between the two.

Momin

Emotions were high as Carrie Underwood came out of her performance honoring late 2023 inductee and her personal hero George Michael, having beautifully belted out “One More Try” following Adam Levine’s rendition of “Faith.” “I don’t know how I feel,” she told Billboard shortly afterward. “I feel blessed to have been a part of a tribute, but it’s such a bittersweet thing because it’s like, he should’ve been here to sing himself.”

“For me, I just wanted to do a good job and I wanted to do something I hope he would’ve been proud of,” she continued. “I probably made myself way more nervous than I should have. I wanted to do a good job and give him the props that he deserves, because he certainly meant so much to me and my musical upbringing.”

The Carrie’s Country radio host went on to reflect on growing up with the Wham! singer’s influence, something she attributes to her older sisters. “They were in control of the radio, so I feel like I got the good stuff real early in life,” Underwood said. “We didn’t have MTV, I didn’t know what he looked like. I didn’t know anything about him, tight jeans, dancing, I didn’t know any of that. All I knew was his voice, which I was drawn to. I wore my sisters’ cassette tapes out.”

“Loved his voice always, that’s always what stuck out to me,” she added. “Obviously I learned a lot more about him as I grew up, but was just always a fan of that incredible voice. His tone was absolutely beautiful, he wasn’t afraid to hit high notes in his head voice. He had this kind of soulful cadence about how he would sing things that just made you feel every word. He wanted to make great music, and he did.”

https://www.billboard.com/lists/roc...stage-moments-interviews/carrie-underwood-11/