Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: The Voice Season 8

Trigger kind of wrote a article about it a while ago. I'm not going to post the while thing. I'll only post the parts that I agree with and not Jake. He talks about Jake. I do enjoy watching The Voice. I think this is true.

Jake Worthington & The Great Reality Show Hype

Jake Worthington & The Great Reality Show Hype Saving Country Music

Have you ever heard of Justin Guarini? How about Diana DeGarmo? Blake Lewis, anybody? Or how about Lee DeWyze? Does Dia Frampton ring a bell with anyone? Anyone?

Dia Frampton was a contestant on the inaugural season of NBC’s reality singing contest The Voice. Frampton, like all of the other names listed above, was either a runner up, or a winner of either The Voice or American Idol. And there’s an infinite list of other indistinguishable names from where these names came from: singers that reached the very heights of reality show competition, only to fade back into the unknown masses once the next season kicked off. Reality singing show nerds might be laughing at me right now, knowing all of these names, and the styles and stats of each artist. And so maybe to them, I’m the one who needs to fade back into the unknown masses. But even those people should hang with me for just a second more.

Not to pick on poor Dia Frampton, but let’s just take a look back at what happened to her after she made it onto The Voice finale, and almost won. In December of 2011, Dia released an album called Red through Universal Republic Records. How did the album do? It reached a peak of #106 on the Billboard charts. The album’s lone single “The Broken Ones” didn’t chart at all. But in reality, that’s not bad compared to the actual Season 1 winner of The Voice, Javier Colon. His album peaked at #134 on the Billboard charts. In fact Javier, who had his own successful music career before The Voice, released an album way back in 2003 that made it to #91 on Billboard—43 spots better than the album contracted to him after his big reality show win.

Of course for all these types of anecdotal stories about reality show winners, there are success stories such as Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood, Jennifer Hudson, and to a lesser extent, artists like Kellie Pickler and Scotty McCreery. But many of these big stars came from the first few seasons of American Idol, while many other finalists and winners have completely dropped off the map or have taken to starring in other reality show competitions, or reprising B-level acting roles to attempt to keep the momentum of their big reality show win rolling.

Producers try to shake up the production, they shove more star power into these shows than the viewer can compute. ABC, despite the writing on the wall that with so many of these singing shows, they’re cannibalizing each other, is still starting their own competition come next season. But these shows are not delivering on their promise to the American public of delivering stars that they will then see selling out arenas, and performing on the Grammy Awards. That is why the singing reality show model is losing steam.

Opportunity is only what you make of it, and regardless of what the marketeers of these shows try to sell you on, the simple fact is nobody has the power to anoint a star. The winners themselves must still rise to find themselves, must still figure out a way to connect with the public at large. Some stars have done this like Carrie Underwood. Many haven’t like Javier Colon.
    The bolded being the most important part.
    rainbow1 and bluetb4 like this.

Huge Carrie Follower CarrieUDomination's Avatar
    I think they'd get a fairly big star if they PROMOTED the artists. They kinda just put people out there and don't really give them anything to work with.
    lizcarlo likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrieUDomination View Post
    I think they'd get a fairly big star if they PROMOTED the artists. They kinda just put people out there and don't really give them anything to work with.
    Exactly. The artists are out of luck. This show is promotion for the JUDGES and MENTORS. And of course, they both profit along with NBC.

The first one on tonight who sang I Wanna Dance with Somebody was AWESOME. She deserved a four chair turn.

I completely agree. They should do behind the scenes and the banter with the singers instead of the coaches. They tell the singers story and then after blinds its about the coaches.

Insane Carrie Fan Carrieroxmysox2011's Avatar
    Adam Levine has the plague.

^^^^I didn't watch it. I'm watching something else. Did no one choose Adam again?

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Blake with a Carrie mention tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by lizcarlo View Post
    ^^^^I didn't watch it. I'm watching something else. Did no one choose Adam again?
    A couple of people did lol.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I am so over the voice, and american idol. You never hear of most of these people after the season ends, so why still have them on. I think they need to make it so the voice is on in the fall, and american idol in the spring. They. Also need to change judges every year, so they can kind of keep it fresh.
    DizzyDollyDee and lizcarlo like this.

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    Blake with a Carrie mention tonight.
    You can see the shoutout to Carrie at 4:40 on the video below.

Corey Kent White Blind Audition: "Chicken Fried" | Video | The Voice | NBC
    jaylee50 likes this.

I think Blake has the strongest team so far, and I think Adam has the weakest.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieroxmysox2011 View Post
    I think Blake has the strongest team so far, and I think Adam has the weakest.
    Christina has a lot of talent too but lets see what she can actually do with it.

I have to give it to Adam that he makes his contestants better.
    Carrieroxmysox2011 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Wow that girl that just sang Christina Aguilera's "Impossible" was really really good! And then to hear her do it WITH Christina!

Concert Stars
    lizcarlo likes this.

Concert Stars
    I honestly think Caitlin Caporale could go all the way

I really like Ashley Morgan I think is the name. Her voice is just really smooth and she can get insane with her note-hitting.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokyiiis View Post
    I honestly think Caitlin Caporale could go all the way

She is really good but I would like her chances better if she was on Adam's team.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    There are times when I wonder just what in the world Pharrell is listening to.
    Smokyiiis likes this.

Concert Stars
    ^^I agree completely. Sometimes I think he's a complete idiot. And then the other half of me realizes he does that to KEEP two artists in the game. He knew Lindsey was gonna get stolen so in order to keep them both he picked Paul. I honestly believe that because there is no way on God's green earth that Paul won that battle.
    JB172 likes this.

•  
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast