Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: TV Award Show Season

TV Award Show Season

So....I have one of these thread for movie award show season and I love talking about TV shows as well. So I thought Id go ahead and make this because the Critics choice tv award noms just came out and I wanted to see if we could get some fun convos going about award season

heres the list of awards nominated-

HBO, FX Lead Critics' Choice TV Awards -- But Where Are 'Mad Men', 'Modern Family'? - Deadline.com

Im super stoked for Veep and New Girl, since those are two of my favorite comedies. Shocked Modern Family isnt nominated since i feel its 4 seasons in and still super hilarious. Im still on the fence for whether or not i believe House of Lies is a comedy, I watch it and always thought it was a drama til i saw it nominated for comedy at the Globes lol Glad Girls didnt get an overall comedy nom. cant stand that show.

Although two of them are on my list to watch I actually havent seen any of best dramas nominated. Whoops. Yay for Kevin Spacey getting some love (I think HoC shoulda gotten a nom as well as Newsroom). And good for Vera, shes great in Bates Motel. I literally screamed when I saw Jen C nominated for Dexter. Ive been waiting for her to get award show love for 7 seasons haha

The only Mini series I watch is American Horror Story and I dont think this season was anywhere near as good as last season. Lily Rabe and Sara Paulson were great tho so I agree with their noms. Yaaayy for chopped getting nominated in reality, I love that show.

Sooo thoughts?

Concert Stars
    Oh heck yes. TV Awards Season thread.

It's more difficult with TV shows because it takes a long time to watch a show if you haven't seen it, haha. I don't watch a lot of comedy, but I'm happy for The Big Bang Theory (but Mayim Bialik is much better than either Kaley Cuoco or Melissa Rauch, in my opinion) and The Middle.

In Drama Series the only three I've seen are Downton Abbey, Game of Thrones and Homeland (though I'm currently still watching season 2) and they're all quite deserving I think. I'm a few seasons behind on Breaking Bad. The Americans and The Newsroom are next on my "to watch" list.

I don't understand how Elisabeth Moss got in for Drama Actress. She's probably had 30 minutes of screentime on Mad Men for this entire season. She's certainly not leading and furthermore, she doesn't really warrant a nomination in supporting, so for her to be the only Mad Men nominee is disappointing. Not having seen The Newsroom yet, I'm a little surprised Jeff Daniels didn't get a nod. I did see his America monologue in the Pilot, so I thought he'd be in, haha. So, so, so, so happy for both Nicolaj Coster-Waldau and Corey Stoll in Supporting Actor. They were the standouts on their respective shows this year, according to me, so I'm very happy to see them there. I'm also quite happy to see Emilia Clarke nominated, though I haven't seen any of the other Supporting Actress nominees. I wish Elizabeth McGovern could've gotten a nod for Downton Abbey.

I feel like I've written a novel.

^ ive been debating if I should put Mad Men on my list of shows to eventually watch. I originally wanted to see it but id anymore. Homeland is on my list of shows to watch. Yeah im surprised by the lack of love for Newsroom, I really love that show.
    Hil likes this.

Hil
    Quote Originally Posted by Grace_Of_God View Post
    ^ ive been debating if I should put Mad Men on my list of shows to eventually watch. I originally wanted to see it but id anymore. Homeland is on my list of shows to watch. Yeah im surprised by the lack of love for Newsroom, I really love that show.
    Homeland is amazing!!! I've seen bits of Mad Men and it didn't interest me much, but maybe I should give it another try. I still have to try Newsroom....I've heard good things about it.

Concert Stars
    Mad Men is an interesting one. I've watched it since the beginning and have been in love with it up until this season. This season has just been very meh, and I'm so disappointed with it. Having said that, it is an acquired taste. My friend and I trade TV shows and we have a lot of similar tastes--I love Mad Men and she hates it. It's a slow burner; it's not action packed or anything. It's pretty much a six year character study set in the '60s. So make of that what you will.

I'm halfway through the second season of Homeland and I'm liking it... I can't believe it took me so long to watch it, lol.

Concert Stars
    I am tired of Modern Family. I loved watching it the last couple of years but this year I am tired of the same basic story. I found it funny to begin with but now I am not finding it that funny.

I have watched some of Homeland and I NEED to watch the whole series. I absolutely loved what I have seen.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I second the New Girl love. Glad Jake got in and hope he ends up with an Emmy nomination too.

I really love The Americans, so I am really happy with their nominations. Keri Russell deserves her nomination just based on the scene where she goes batsh@t on the awesome Margo Martindale's face. Her Claudia character deserved it so much. I'd recommend the show to anyone that is interested. Just give it a couple of episodes to really get going. Once it does it's really good.

I also loved Political Animals which I know got mixed reviews. I really liked the Sigourney and Carla scenes. Even with that I'm still shocked Sebastian Stan got a nomination. He was good in the role, but I don't know if it was nomination worthy.

Good to see Monica Potter nominated. I never knew she had that kind of talent in her.

I can't comment on any of the HBO or Showtime nominations because I don't have them. Cable is expensive enough. I did love Homeland season one which I bought on dvd.

I do have a question about their eligibility time frame. How is a movie like Behind the Candelabra getting nominations when it hasn't even aired yet?

^ i think it may be the same thing as movie award shows. since I know for the Emmys actors have to send in the episodes they want to be considered for in order to even get a nomination. Im assuming, since that film is already completed they sent it in to critics to get nominated. Not 100% sure though

ouch....

The 2012?13 TV Season in One Depressing Chart -- Vulture

i do believe times will be changing for the tv we know
    11 Winners And Losers Of The TV Season
    Last edited by Grace_Of_God; 05-24-2013 at 11:01 AM.

Concert Stars
    Honestly, I just finished Homeland and I need to vent. I have never seen such a fast decline in the quality of a TV series. The first season was banging, absolutely fantastic. The first half of season two was really good. Then, then it turned into crap. I mean seriously, some of the worst writing and plotting I've ever seen on a series (OK I'm probably exaggerating but comparative to the first season, it was awful); the characters became insufferable and moronic, and I don't credit it to the actors. I think the audience is supposed to feel for certain characters that are just insufferable and moronic. And this show doesn't have the balls to go through with fairly sensible plotlines clearly only because they don't want to kill off their precious lead character, when it was the only logical way to go. You can't write yourself into a corner and then just not go through with it. Ugh. I'm so disappointed. Boo.

Ugh, I'm just tired of this show. I don't think I'll watch when it comes back next season.

But I still think Danes, Lewis and Patinkin should get Emmy nominations, and Lewis has a tape to possibly win (Q&A), though I'm not sure Danes and Patinkin do. I would still predict Danes to win Actress at this point just because of the category. Eh, I don't know. They'll still get a series nod as well and probably a writing and directing nod too.

Well, I'm onto The Newsroom next.

^ lol i know i shouldnt have chuckled at that vent but I did. i seriously hadnt heard that it turned to sh!t and now youre making me nervous to eventually watch it. although i wont be watching anything new for awhile due to being busy with work. but ugh i love Danes so much, and Patinkin (have you ever watched dead like me? you should). i hope you enjoy newsroom better!

Concert Stars
    I actually wrote that a couple of hours ago then had to go to my cousin's graduation, and I sort of laughed at it when I came back, lol. I almost didn't post it, but it's a genuine reaction so I was like, eh here goes nothing. It just made me really angry because I genuinely, truly loved the first season. I thought it was a great show and was so disappointed. Anyway, you may like the whole second season it was just too much ridiculousness for me.

I HAVE SEEN DEAD LIKE ME. The entire show I was sitting there thinking, "Where have I seen this man before?" Got it. His character on Homeland, Saul, is pretty much the only character on the show that I still love.

^ you know theres this awesome site called IMDB where you can see if you know an actor from their prior gig ;P hahaha jk. and DLM is one of my favorite tv shows (i act like the movie never happened). but no i loved your reaction! it was awesome.

Concert Stars
    Haha you're very funny. Hmph. Would you judge me if I told you I watched the 24 hours of Homeland in only a few days, and didn't really bother with anything like IMDB? Heh, I'm a little ashamed to have gotten through the series so quickly.

^ oh youll never find judgement from me. I finished all 102 episodes of Weeds in 7 days....

Concert Stars
    I... I don't know what to say. I think I'm... proud?

^ yesssss. another person thats proud of me for that. added to the list of other that brings it to a total of...1 hahhaa

NPH just announced to be hosting the Emmys this year. Man i hope i dont get confused if im watching the emmy or tonys since hes hosting both this year lol

Concert Stars
    I've got nothing against Neil Patrick Harris, but he's done it before, they should let Craig Ferguson take a swing! Ferguson's the best in the business as far as I'm concerned and he'd be phenomenal!

Anyway, I finished The Newsroom, and I really, really enjoyed it. The Don/Maggie/Jim/Lisa stuff grated on my nerves quite a bit, but other than that I thought it was great. Jeff Daniels and Emily Mortimer have FANTASTIC chemistry! I never expected that. And Sorkin is just ridiculous... I've never seen anything from him that I didn't love. His writing is so crisp, it's ridiculous. I so hope Jeff Daniels gets nominated for this role, and I would love to see Olivia Munn or Emily Mortimer nominated as well, but I'm not confident in either. I'd go for Series as well (though obviously I haven't watched many full series). Anyways, yep, loved it.

^ omg Id die for Craig to do it! I love him so much haha. And yeah I love NPH and he does a great job but I all I thought when I read he was doing it was...really. Hes already doing the tonys THIS year. They couldnt find ANY other host.

and yayayayay I love that you love the newsroom!!! the chemistry of the cast is great and its so quick and witty. i love it

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast