Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar

Cherie on the Voice

Carrie first backup singer, Cherie, is on the Voice. She was chosen by Christina Aguilera. She sang Gunpowder and Lead, pretty much guaranteeing Blake wouldn't pick her.

Concert Stars
    lol I saw that on twitter. I liked Cheri, but why did she get fired as backup singer? Or did she leave on her own? I heard she was with Gretchen for awhile.

Junior Carrie Follower Daydreamer81's Avatar
    I don't think she was fired I remember Carrie was asked about why Cherie left a long time ago and I think she said Cherie wanted to pursue her own singing career or something like that

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by cary78663 View Post
    Carrie first backup singer, Cherie, is on the Voice. She was chosen by Christina Aguilera. She sang Gunpowder and Lead, pretty much guaranteeing Blake wouldn't pick her.
    well that sure was risky. don't think that song was the best showcase of her voice but she showed how good her vocals were when she went all the way up to the falsetto. I think when she held out the note that it was equally if not better than miranda. only thing that sort of put her at odds in some way is she didn't have that big of a twang and that raw growl like way of miranda so it's interesting that levine said it could have been more "refined".
    lol and of course blake would say she didn't do as good as miranda. lol

side note: it's cool how she's already been part of country community having been carrie's backup singer and also having wrote reba's "turn on the radio".

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I saw the video. she's a real sweetheart and gorgeous. I didn't like her as carrie's backup singer just bc i thot their voices didn't mesh very well but she def has a great voice.
    becca T

Obsessed Carrie Fan undrwood9098's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    She was good. I didn't realize that she wrote Reba's "Turn On the Radio"!

Very happy to see that she's still pursuing her dreams.

Interesting information on mjsbigblog. I wondered what happened to Carrie's guitarist Mark Oakley. Says he was married to someone else when he and Cherie met, but is married to Cherie now. I had no idea.

Carrie Guru
    She definitely did a decent job. I think that her best chance was to be on Blake's team, especially with Reba being added to help out next week. How could Reba say no to someone who wrote a #1 song for her. lol. Anyhoo, I think she'll have a tough time making it on Christina's team unless Christina's chooses looks over vocals. But good for her if she makes it to the live shows. She was smart to mention Carrie and Gretchen to win over their fan bases. lol.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I thought Cheri was good, but nothing stood out about her performance, either. I agree "Gunpowder and Lead" wasn't the best song choice, and she'll probably have a tough time being able to win over Christina, IMO.
    I hope she does OK though, I'm interested to see where she goes from here.

Concert Stars
    As a lead vocalist shes a good back up singer... LOL
    I remember she left Carries band citing other oppurtunities and a few weeks later she ended up backing up Grethen Wilson on stage at the same festival Carrie was at....I always found that strange and always figured there was much more to this story that we may never know about!!!

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I believe Cherie focus before her switch to country was R&B so I think she will be able to swing it for Christina.

Concert Stars
    I just YouTubed this and I think she's really good. I never liked her as Carrie's backup singer because I remember I found her very distracting, lol. She'd always pull faces and I'd end up paying attention to her instead of Carrie back in the Some Hearts era, heh. But yeah, I really liked her "Gunpowder and Lead."

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer81 View Post
    I don't think she was fired I remember Carrie was asked about why Cherie left a long time ago and I think she said Cherie wanted to pursue her own singing career or something like that
    I remember she left Carries band citing other oppurtunities and a few weeks later she ended up backing up Grethen Wilson on stage at the same festival Carrie was at....I always found that strange and always figured there was much more to this story that we may never know about!!!
    Carrie wouldn't say to her fans that anyone was fired. No one would admit they were fired. But Cherie was fired, along with Mark Oakley. They had an affair while they were in Carrie's band. Mark was married and had kids.

Since Cherie is now using Mark's name, obviously Mark got divorced and they got married not long after probably.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by dylan007 View Post
    Carrie wouldn't say to her fans that anyone was fired. No one would admit they were fired. But Cherie was fired, along with Mark Oakley. They had an affair while they were in Carrie's band. Mark was married and had kids.

Since Cherie is now using Mark's name, obviously Mark got divorced and they got married not long after probably.
    That's exactly what happened, all Carrie did was the same thing any other aritist would have done in the same situation and not air dirty laundry in public.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I've never paid any attention to anyone in Carrie's band, except Carrie. LOL.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by dylan007 View Post

how was the info leaked that they had an affair and that being the reason they were fired?

Insane Carrie Fan
    it's interesting how 2 contestants have already sang a miranda song. guess they really wanted to butter up to blake but it sort of backfired. lol

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I think it was mostly speculation that is what occur. Mark and Cherie left at the same time and shortly after Mark left, he got a divorce and ended up w/ Cherie and both started touring w/ Gretchen's band. I do hope Cherie goes a way in this competition. I'm interested in seeing how well she is able to do. In the preliminaries I thought she was one of the better ones.

Concert Stars
    Oh geez...rumors, rumors, rumors. Trust me when I say that there's a LOT more to the story than you know. Cherie's been nothing but publically supportive of Carrie. Anyone who was lucky enough to meet Cherie when she was touring with Carrie can attest to the fact that she is easily one of the nicest people-ever. What you see on her videos, etc, is genuine-she is an absolute DOLL! And she is incredibly talented (though I agree that that song may not have been the best choice). She has had a rough go of it in this industry and has been sooo close to a big break, but it never happened. I, for one, will be rooting for her 100%!

If you're interested in following how things go, like her facebook page: Cherie Oakley | Facebook
    The cool part about this show is that they encourage their artists to interact via facebook, blogs, etc. For some "behind the scenes" info about the show and Cherie, see her blog here: The Voice | NBC Official Site - Cherie Oakley - NBC Official Site

And if she makes it further in the show...get ready to VOTE!

I recognize that Cherie has a lovely voice, but Gunpowder and Lead is a signature song for Miranda so I cannot help but compare even though it is not fair. Of course I ended up preferring Miranda's version over Cherie's lol. Miranda has this feisty, fiery attitude in her rendition that I felt was missing in Cherie's. Still good vocals though.

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast