Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

View Poll Results: Poll: Fourth Single

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Renegade Runaway

3 3.90%
  • Dirty Laundry

55 71.43%
  • Choctaw County Affair

15 19.48%
  • Like I'll Never Love You Again

0 0%
  • Relapse

3 3.90%
  • Other

1 1.30%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Poll: Fourth Single

Obsessed Carrie Fan carriefan14's Avatar

Poll: Fourth Single

Renegade Runaway
    Dirty Laundry
    Choctaw County Affair
    Like I'll Never Love You Again
    Relapse
    Other

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I voted for Dirty Laundry. I just think it HAS to be a single. It has done nothing but grow on me since the album was released and it's fun to sing along to.

Voted for CCA, but I think it will be DL. It's a good thing that I'm not picking the singles, because I would be terrible at it, LOL. (I'll spare everyone from what I really want, LOL.)

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I voted DL, but I also want CCA to be a single, so if CCA is next, I'll still be happy.
    Pi314CA likes this.

Hil
    Has to be Dirty Laundry. It's such a hit.

Concert Stars
    Yes, has to be Dirty Laundry!!

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I voted for DL, but I'm happy as long as she releases DL or CCA.
    ethelu likes this.

Dirty Laundry (I hope).

really hope it's Dirty Laundry or even Relapse <3 both amazing songs
    Carrieroxmysox2011 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Dirty Laundry next~!

Then- for single 5- either Choctaw or Renegade Runaway.
    Pi314CA likes this.

I voted for DL. Although i want CCA as single. I don't think they would release CCA after CB and DL is so perfect to be next single. It's one of the best songs on cd and is very relatable.
    ethelu likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    My vote goes to "Dirty Laundry". That song definitely deserves to be a single.
    ethelu and Hil like this.

Concert Stars
    DL for sure
    Hil likes this.

Concert Stars
    These are the least surprising poll results ever, ha. I, like most others, voted for Dirty Laundry. Though I wouldn't be opposed to Relapse.
    Carrieroxmysox2011 likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I'm a poor judge of singles (I don't listen to the radio format, and I don't judge a song by its chart performance) - so I don't think Arista will be consulting me any time soon, lol.

But for what it's worth, I'll comment on each song, as a potential representative of the era

Renegade Runaway - I think this is a definite possibility - but it would be a disappointing choice for me. Carrie has tried to evoke the tradition of early Western songs in the "clip clop" musical rhythm, and the rising vowel she uses in the word "bet" - but her predominant style in this song, with strong reliance on a fast tempo and power vocals, is familiar ground for her, risking being heard as verging on being rather formulaic. In that sense I think it's something of a backward-looking track, on an album more noted for innovative songs.

Dirty Laundry - I think this has always stood out as likely single material. (The current single, Church Bells, is a strong song, and I particularly like its banjo introduction, and its use of the three different episodes of the bells, which give the refrain more interest than is sometimes the case with radio singles - but, all told, I think Dirty Laundry would have been a bolder choice.) Whether the A & R team would now advise both, as back-to-back singles, raises some question in my mind - but this feisty, mature, and (to my mind) believable song, shows a sharper edge to Carrie's vocal, and definitely deserves to be widely heard.

Choctaw County Affair - undoubtedly, one of the strongest songs on the album, and a new and welcome showcase for Carrie's talent. The involvement of the McCrary Sisters, and of Travis Meadows (who not only plays on the recording, but also reportedly came back to give Carrie harmonica lessons) make this Carrie's closest foray yet into "Americana" influence. In that sense, it was a good choice for an album she has characterized as more "twangy" - but it begs the question whether radio would embrace a move in that direction. I have a nagging feeling that it may, in the end, remain an album track, and miss out on being a single - but I'd be very pleased to be wrong on that.

Like I'll Never Love You Again - my favourite song on the album, and one of my favourites in Carrie's whole repertoire. However - while I'm not sure - I think I remember her saying something to the effect that she was unlikely to sing it live. If so, that may rule it out as a single, and it may have to stand alongside songs like Forever Changed, and Someday when I Stop Loving You, as album tracks that I personally prefer to half her better known radio singles.

Relapse - the musical style is not really my taste, and I've struggled to find it living up to my perceptions of the album as a whole. That, though is a personal view. The song is co-written by Song Suffragette, Sara Haze, and it strikes me as showing several of the qualities that I've seen on their often excellent weekly showcases of new female talent - witty writing, emotional themes and a sonic feel that is friendly to the wider General Music scene. Radio, so far, has not been overly keen to embrace the trend - but if anyone could reverse that, Carrie's the clear contender. I certainly wouldn't rule it out as a single - and if so, I think it would be good for the format.

Others - Chaser is arguably the strongest of those not mentioned. A hybrid song, which blends a General Music feel with a Country lilt, it could prove a wide-ranging pleaser. As an album track, it lives up to Storyteller's greater emphasis on the musical side - though the radio cut in the UK sacrificed two prominent musical passages - thereby, sadly, significantly weakening the song for me.

I think it'll be Dirty Laundry, but I want Chaser. DL is catchy and I love it, but it's nothing new from her singles-wise. We've been there lyrically several times before.
    I want something like Chaser to at least mix it up.

Huge Carrie Follower CarrieUDomination's Avatar
    I'd really love either DL or CCA. I wouldn't be upset if it were Relapse, but I kinda hope it isn't. And please not Renegade Runaway.
    ethelu likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrieUDomination View Post
    I'd really love either DL or CCA. I wouldn't be upset if it were Relapse, but I kinda hope it isn't. And please not Renegade Runaway.
    I prefer Chaser to Relapse, but could live with Relapse as a single. I totally agree about RR.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Dirty Laundry for Single #4! If there is 5th one I am okay with anything except Clock Don't Stop. What I Never Knew.. and Relapse have really grown on me and I still love Chaser and Choctaw County Affair. It would be cool if she did a lyric video for The Girl You Think I Am for father's day even if it doesn't get released as a single.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by AIgrl06 View Post
    These are the least surprising poll results ever, ha. I, like most others, voted for Dirty Laundry. Though I wouldn't be opposed to Relapse.
    Its the most unified I've seen this board this era haha.

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast