Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

View Poll Results: What Can I Say vs Temporary Home

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • What Can I Say

19 43.18%
  • Temporary Home

25 56.82%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Round 4: What Can I Say vs Temporary Home

Concert Stars
    I'd rather see WCIS clobbering every song in its path the way it does on my iTunes play count.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by allamericangirl8 View Post
    I'd rather see WCIS clobbering every song in its path the way it does on my iTunes play count.
    I know you would . However, it is nice to see TH doing so well. It gives me hope that the final showdown for this album won't be between WCIS and SWISLY as I had originally anticipated.

Junior Carrie Follower dsfox2009's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Temporary Home won my vote

Temporary Home! this song is so important for Carrie! and its an AMAZING song!

And live is MAGIC!

"Temporary Home" is a well structured piece of writing, with the two verses of social awareness culminating in the religious message of the final verse. Although a leading reviewer called Carrie's social commentary in this song and "Change" heavy handed and sentimental - I disagree. I think the message is woven in quite skilfully - for example, the reference to "someday we'll find a place here in this world" is the central highlight of the song, balancing the other-world journey of the final death scene. This song marks, for me, an important stage in the growth of Carrie's songwriting, and says quite a lot about her philosophy.

Nevertheless, the overall effect of "Temporary Home" is mixed for me. Carrie's pure vocal has to bear nearly all the impact of the song - and although this is handled beautifully, and suits the mood well - the downside is that the music seems comparatively lacking in interest. For me this rather weakens the staying power and overall memorable quality of the song.

It is in fact a close call between these two songs. I'm reluctant to vote against either of them - but, for reasons I mentioned in the last round, I'm giving my vote again to "What Can I Say", as overall the more successful song in terms of musical and vocal variety.

Concert Stars
    Love both but "What Can I Say"

Huge Carrie Follower NC State Carrie Fan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Temporary Home is amazing...and it shows everyone where Carrie stands...love it

Huge Carrie Follower CountrymusicCarrieIsAmazing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    "Temporary Home" is a well structured piece of writing, with the two verses of social awareness culminating in the religious message of the final verse. Although a leading reviewer called Carrie's social commentary in this song and "Change" heavy handed and sentimental - I disagree. I think the message is woven in quite skilfully - for example, the reference to "someday we'll find a place here in this world" is the central highlight of the song, balancing the other-world journey of the final death scene. This song marks, for me, an important stage in the growth of Carrie's songwriting, and says quite a lot about her philosophy.

Nevertheless, the overall effect of "Temporary Home" is mixed for me. Carrie's pure vocal has to bear nearly all the impact of the song - and although this is handled beautifully, and suits the mood well - the downside is that the music seems comparatively lacking in interest. For me this rather weakens the staying power and overall memorable quality of the song.

It is in fact a close call between these two songs. I'm reluctant to vote against either of them - but, for reasons I mentioned in the last round, I'm giving my vote again to "What Can I Say", as overall the more successful song in terms of musical and vocal variety.
    Though I voted differently from Farawayhills, I liked this explanation because it could provide a lot of knowledge about music.

•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12