Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

View Poll Results: Vote for your fav! PO or SLT

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Play On

14 33.33%
  • Songs Like This

28 66.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: ROUND 1: Play On vs. Songs Like This

Play On!

Gee, I like them both a lot! But I think those dad-gum handclaps on "Songs Like This" are too irresistible for me to vote against it/them. So, "Songs Like This" (and handclaps) it is! Besides, who doesn't love a song that tells a no-good so-and-so where to go and how to get there!?!

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    This battle might be closer than I originally thought lol. I didn't realize Play On had so many supporters! We could end up with some interesting winners this time around.

Really? Play On? The most spectacularly unoriginal song ever penned by a hand that is not Kara DioGuardi's? REALLY?

The phrase "Play On" + every goddamn cliche ever thought up by humanity = The song Play On.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post
    Really? Play On? The most spectacularly unoriginal song ever penned by a hand that is not Kara DioGuardi's? REALLY?

The phrase "Play On" + every goddamn cliche ever thought up by humanity = The song Play On.
    Im not the biggest fan of the lyrics, but the melody and music is awesome imo

Obsessed Carrie Fan Schrodinger's Avatar
    Concert Stars

Tell us how you really feel. Don't hold back. Don't be shy, just remember, "Even when you feel you're all alone, Play on, play on"

Concert Stars

Cliche? Cliche?? : o

You mean the words I've been using to motivate myself all these years are cliches?

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by thunder92 View Post
    Im not the biggest fan of the lyrics, but the melody and music is awesome imo
    Agreed. The lyrics are cliche (even though the imagery's actually pretty cool) and lame, but the melody and vocals put it over SLT.

SLT had the highest burn of any Carrie song ever for me.

Concert Stars
    Play On may be cheesy, but I'm Italian...the cheesier the better

...that being said I still went for SLT. lol I think it has a more original hook

Concert Stars
    Play on. Songs like this has some iffy lyrics. They are so typical, and not original. Play On is inspirational. (:

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by allamericangirl8 View Post
    Agreed. The lyrics are cliche (even though the imagery's actually pretty cool) and lame, but the melody and vocals put it over SLT.

same for me too. This song and Unapologize. These two songs burned out on me about 3 months into Play On's release.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars

Most of Play On burned pretty quickly for me. Even Temporay Home, which I loved at first. Undo It, SWISLY & WCIS are really the only tracks that have held up for me. CC had the highest burn rate of any Carrie song ever for me.

Concert Stars
    CC still kicks ass. I go through waves of loving and getting sick of and then loving again TH, though.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    CC still kicks ass. I go through waves of loving and getting sick of and then loving again TH, though.
    I didn't care much for CC at first, then it grew on me and now I never listen to it. GREAT live song, though.

TH is my therapeutic song. I only listen to it if I need to work through something. LOL.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Lol for me Undo It will be the the song with the biggest burn rate for me. Of the trifecta of "boys are bad" songs on Play On, Songs Like This is my favorite (although CC I think is the best written, love the wordiness and the perfect combination of pop, rock and country influences). Love the production of Play On the song but that is pretty much it.

Concert Stars
    SLT is one of my all time fav carrie songs.
    SLT all the way.
    countrymusicfan15 likes this.

Play On is one of my least fav songs on the album

Easy choice here

This is an easy choice for me too

"Songs Like This" is one of my favourite cuts on this album (I'd probably place it second overall). Lyrically, It's probably the angriest of Carrie's "wronged woman" songs (at least, until TBC), and she gets fully into character and sings it with a feisty determination that gives the song a strong impact for me. The music is also a great match for the song - I love the way she blends two major strands of Country music in the arrangement - a Mountain-influenced beginning (which reasserts itself later in the song); and a strong Country Rock main section (in which I think Carrie comes closer to Alternative Country than in most of her songs before GG).

By contrast, I get little from the music in "Play On". The theme is inspirational, and I think Carrie is expressing here her determination to go on striving and face the challenges that lie beyond success and adulation. Unfortunately, though, the Pop-influenced "power vocals" she employs in this song are the side of her work that has least appeal for me - and the nah-nah choruses at the end are not for me either.
    supercarriefan likes this.

Concert Stars
    Songs like This for me too! I loved the way she sang it....and it really served her well in her concerts and performances.

Concert Stars
    I'm upset we'll never see Single Ladies proshot.

•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast