Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 1261
Like Tree3023Likes

Thread: 'My Gift' - Christmas cd out Sept 25

Ultimate Carrie Fan angeliccarrie's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Thanks. I've been so busy lately, so I'm really behind on things
    maddkat likes this.

Junior Carrie Follower
    "Joyful Joyful We Adore Thee" is the choral finale from Beethoven's 9th Symphony. The lyrics that we are familiar with are english (translated from german) lyrics that have been a part of most traditional catholic and protestant hymnals.
    txacar likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan MSCarriefan's Avatar
    ^She sings it very differently than most do in Church. In church it's always very marchy sounding and fast. Honestly I didn't even think it was the same song when I first listened
    She slows it down a lot. (She referenced that in a interview and said she had to create her own version with the producer)
    pkslongbeach likes this.

I knew Joyful Joyful because there is a spanish version that is popular, but it sounds way more like "christmas music" and is upbeat.

Here is the spanish version if anyone is interested:

https://youtu.be/8fFZaWMHaqw
    hjj, txacar, LilUnderwood and 1 others like this.

Junior Carrie Follower

Junior Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by MSCarriefan View Post
    ^She sings it very differently than most do in Church. In church it's always very marchy sounding and fast. Honestly I didn't even think it was the same song when I first listened
    She slows it down a lot. (She referenced that in a interview and said she had to create her own version with the producer)
    Yes, it's a huge piece of music. One of the biggest!! It became world famous because it was the best musical example of pure unadulterated JOY!
    ethelu likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pkslongbeach View Post
    Yes, it's a huge piece of music. One of the biggest!! It became world famous because it was the best musical example of pure unadulterated JOY!
    Exactly -- a rare mistake by Carrie -- took all of the joy out of joyful. Love the album, but always skip that track.
    pkslongbeach and CU4ever like this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Wow, she definitely sucked all of the life out of that one, haha. I feel the same way about HYAMLC too, tbh. Probably my least favorite arrangement of the song out of all the versions I've heard. Tempo is too slow, and I felt the key was too low to really showcase the "sweet spot" in her voice where it really soars. Didn't love "Silent Night" or "O Come All Ye Faithful," either. Truthfully, the only songs I truly enjoy on the album are "O Holy Night," "Hallelujah," and "Mary, Did You Know?" The rest are kind of underwhelming to me.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by txacar View Post
    Exactly -- a rare mistake by Carrie -- took all of the joy out of joyful. Love the album, but always skip that track.
    I disagree, JJWAT is so ethereal. Very different, but beautifully haunting. I love this arrangement.

And in regards to HYAMLC, it's not really a happy song to begin with. I believe it is suppose to be slow and melancholy.

Obsessed Carrie Fan MSCarriefan's Avatar
    Agree. JJWAT is different but I keep going back to listen to it. I love the way she sings Unbroken praise for some reason

I am guessing they are filming the Christmas special at the moment. Seems like she has been in LA since Wed or Thursday. From the looks of her Fit52 app posts and Melissa's Instastories.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1995 View Post
    And in regards to HYAMLC, it's not really a happy song to begin with. I believe it is suppose to be slow and melancholy.
    I don't know - the lyrics seem pretty joyous to me ... But yeah, I know it wasn't exactly designed to be a rockin' little ditty in the vain of "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town," I just find Carrie's version to be overly stripped down and slower in tempo than what I'd like for that particular song. I prefer Martina's version. I thought the subtle bell effects and understated choir in the background added a nice touch, imparting a vibe that's more warm and festive, and less dreary and colorless - which is how I'd personally describe Carrie's. Martina's had that nice key change after the instrumental break too, which really brought it home for me. I'd still consider Martina's to be a very simple and traditional arrangement, though. It just hit the spot for me. Carrie's, unfortunately, didn't.

Given the fact I love Joyful Joyful because of Sister Act, Carrie's version is way too slow for me as well. I wish it wasn't the opening track.
    MelissaD and pkslongbeach like this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    ^I was hoping that the album as a whole would incorporate that more Southern-gospel element to it, as well. If she was going to sing almost all religious hymns, which I was honestly expecting anyway, I wish she'd at least made some of them a little more upbeat and uplifting.
    _luvqry likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaD View Post
    I don't know - the lyrics seem pretty joyous to me ... But yeah, I know it wasn't exactly designed to be a rockin' little ditty in the vain of "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town," I just find Carrie's version to be overly stripped down and slower in tempo than what I'd like for that particular song. I prefer Martina's version. I thought the subtle bell effects and understated choir in the background added a nice touch, imparting a vibe that's more warm and festive, and less dreary and colorless - which is how I'd personally describe Carrie's. Martina's had that nice key change after the instrumental break too, which really brought it home for me. I'd still consider Martina's to be a very simple and traditional arrangement, though. It just hit the spot for me. Carrie's, unfortunately, didn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_Y...ttle_Christmas

The wikipedia page mentions that it was even more depressing in it's first draft. I guess in the movie "Meet Me in St. Louis", it was supposed to be a little more melancholy.
    MelissaD, pacarriefan and ethelu like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1995 View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_Y...ttle_Christmas

The wikipedia page mentions that it was even more depressing in it's first draft. I guess in the movie "Meet Me in St. Louis", it was supposed to be a little more melancholy.
    Exactly. I love Carrie's version being true to Judy's version.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Most versions of the song haven't been so radically different from Judy's, though. Every version I've heard has more or less stayed true to the "essence" of that original recording. There were just some minor liberties taken and tweaks done to the arrangement to give it a warmer and more joyous vibe. Judy's arrangement and interpretation of the song, it seems, were specific to the context of the film's plot. It sounds like the original drafts of the song were essentially built around whatever feelings and emotions were intended to be conveyed during that point in the film. Carrie recorded a holiday album, though; Not a remake of the "Meet Me In St. Louis" soundtrack. There was no need to "be true to Judy's version" in her case, imo. -shrug-
    Jae likes this.

Huge Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    For the next album it seems like everyone needs to be in the studio with Carrie telling her how she should make her creative projects, lol. I think she has been doing this long enough to know how she wanted the album to be.
    Carrieroxmysox2011 likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by pacarriefan View Post
    For the next album it seems like everyone needs to be in the studio with Carrie telling her how she should make her creative projects, lol. I think she has been doing this long enough to know how she wanted the album to be.
    I 150% agree with you, lol. I've found her artistic choices to be very basic and unimaginative in more recent years, honestly. A little bit too much of a traditionalist for my tastes. Wish she was more of a risk-taker and out-of-the-box thinker. I'm always hoping that she'll miraculously link up with a producer that pushes her more creatively and artistically speaking. She's over a decade and a half into her career now. Everything just seems extremely formulaic and predictable these days. Just my opinion. Ya'll can rip me apart for expressing it, I really truly and honestly don't care lol. I'm just a fan, not a blind sheep.

Huge Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    I was being sarcastic because she apparently needs help nowadays with just about everything...

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by pacarriefan View Post
    I was being sarcastic because she apparently needs help nowadays with just about everything...
    Oh trust me, I know you were. I understand sarcasm very well. I just so happened to agree with your statement, even if not in the same spirit in which you intended for it to be received.

•  
    Page 60 of 64 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast