Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Like Tree42Likes
  • 20 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By JB172
  • 6 Post By hjj
  • 4 Post By rainbow1
  • 1 Post By Suellen
  • 2 Post By pklongbeach
  • 1 Post By Lstname89
  • 1 Post By cassie2
  • 1 Post By lizcarlo
  • 1 Post By oldyfan
  • 1 Post By Kizmet311
  • 1 Post By Cathie Wynkoop
  • 1 Post By Ann055
  • 1 Post By rainbow1

Thread: Thank God, for the gift of life

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar

Thank God, for the gift of life

I hope you will not mind me sharing this news - I know that outcomes are not always so positive, and we lose loved ones - but I trust, also, that my recovery can be a small reminder that things can go well, and there is always hope.

Five years ago, I was diagnosed with cancer. Due to family circumstances (my mother was dying), I had delayed going to the doctor, though I suspected the condition, and so was not shocked by the diagnosis. I had to have major surgery, followed by 18 weeks of chemotherapy. During the operation, my heartbeat became critical twice, turning a scheduled three hour operation into a five hour one. This was a harrowing time for my relatives and friends, waiting, but unable to get information (and I thank God that my mother had passed away before ever knowing I was ill). It was also an ordeal for the young medical student who'd been assigned to monitor my case. It was her first time in theatre, and she was the only one allowed a chair, in case she fainted! (She was a big help to me, visiting me many times in my recovery, and giving me information from my case notes - which perhaps was bending the rules, lol)

Two things, in partcular - my survival from heart failure during the operation, and now, having reached the five year mark, free from recurrence - bring home to me how truly blest I've been. It's something for which I shall always be humbled and thankful. I know that we all vary on questions of faith, and I don't want to intrude too far into that area - but, for my part, I do thank God for my recovery, and also pray every night for those who are suffering, and, in particular, for those who have no one to pray for them. That was the prayer I offered as I was taken into surgery, and one I shall repeat as long as I live.

I would like you to know, too, that this board has also been a help to me. I know I haven't (and probably never will, lol) become a devotee of Mainstream Country, of evaluating music by chart positions or sales, or of "fan wars" - but that's neither here or there. The board has been something of a regular haven for me, and I appreciate the kindness, fun and interesting information and discussion from my many friends here.
    JB172, Pi314CA, cassie2 and 17 others like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Woo Hoo for you.
    Farawayhills likes this.

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Thank you for sharing. So happy you have passed a milestone in your recovery. You contribute a voice of reason and a wealth of knowledge to this board. Keep the prayers going and many back at you.

Concert Stars
    Thank you Faraway for telling us. I was very worried about you when I first began reading. The wonderful, wonderful news came later. Thank God for that. I will pray for your continued health, and ask you to pray for me. As JB said, "Woo Hoo"!!!

Concert Stars
    Thanks for sharing what happened to you, and also very happy you reached the five year mark.
    Farawayhills likes this.

Concert Stars
    Congratulations!! I am so happy for you. We here have always appreciated you. I am sorry it has been with you having a hard time. I'll be nicer! Wink!
    Farawayhills and carrieguy2 like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    We have our differences in opinion, but I genuinely care about you as a person. Happy to hear you're doing well!
    Farawayhills likes this.

Concert Stars
    Thank you so much for sharing, I am so very happy that you have been blessed to mark such an important date in your recovery! That is fantastic! You are a valued member here, and I smiled to think that our little family here has been a haven for you during the past many years! If truth be known, it has been a haven for me as well!
    "Carrie On" Farawayhills enjoy the music!
    Farawayhills likes this.

I am happy for you. Congratulations.
    Farawayhills likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    I hope you will not mind me sharing this news - I know that outcomes are not always so positive, and we lose loved ones - but I trust, also, that my recovery can be a small reminder that things can go well, and there is always hope.

Five years ago, I was diagnosed with cancer. Due to family circumstances (my mother was dying), I had delayed going to the doctor, though I suspected the condition, and so was not shocked by the diagnosis. I had to have major surgery, followed by 18 weeks of chemotherapy. During the operation, my heartbeat became critical twice, turning a scheduled three hour operation into a five hour one. This was a harrowing time for my relatives and friends, waiting, but unable to get information (and I thank God that my mother had passed away before ever knowing I was ill). It was also an ordeal for the young medical student who'd been assigned to monitor my case. It was her first time in theatre, and she was the only one allowed a chair, in case she fainted! (She was a big help to me, visiting me many times in my recovery, and giving me information from my case notes - which perhaps was bending the rules, lol)

Two things, in partcular - my survival from heart failure during the operation, and now, having reached the five year mark, free from recurrence - bring home to me how truly blest I've been. It's something for which I shall always be humbled and thankful. I know that we all vary on questions of faith, and I don't want to intrude too far into that area - but, for my part, I do thank God for my recovery, and also pray every night for those who are suffering, and, in particular, for those who have no one to pray for them. That was the prayer I offered as I was taken into surgery, and one I shall repeat as long as I live.

I would like you to know, too, that this board has also been a help to me. I know I haven't (and probably never will, lol) become a devotee of Mainstream Country, of evaluating music by chart positions or sales, or of "fan wars" - but that's neither here or there. The board has been something of a regular haven for me, and I appreciate the kindness, fun and interesting information and discussion from my many friends here.
    It's a horrible disease I'm happy you have been given the continued gift of life. Thank you so much for sharing.
    Farawayhills likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Thank you so much for all the good wishes and messages of support - I really appreciate it!

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Thank you for sharing your story. Cancer is a terrible disease and I have lost 4 aunts (1 my dad's sister and 3 my mom's) to it, unfortunately. I am so glad you were able to beat it and not have any recurrence. I am also so glad that you are a part of this board. You bring so much knowledge of various musical styles and while I know my tastes lean more mainstream than yours, I always appreciate your recommendations for songs, artists, or influences you would like to see Carrie use in her music. Plus, we Miranda fans have to stick together on here! (smile)
    Farawayhills likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Cathie Wynkoop's Avatar
    Back in Kansas.....there's no place like home!!!
    Concert Stars
    I rarely come onto this site anymore, but today I just happened to. So happy you shared your story with us. Testimonies such as this helps to make my faith even stronger. You are still here for a reason, and your story just might be the reason for someone who is suffering. I loved how you said you pray for those suffering, and also for those who have no one to pray for them. I think you pray for millions and millions of souls with those prayers!! May God continue to bless you on your journey back to Him!
    Farawayhills likes this.

Thank you for sharing with us. I am so happy things are going well. I will continue with you in my thoughts and prayers.
    Farawayhills likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathie Wynkoop View Post
    I rarely come onto this site anymore, but today I just happened to. So happy you shared your story with us. Testimonies such as this helps to make my faith even stronger. You are still here for a reason, and your story just might be the reason for someone who is suffering. I loved how you said you pray for those suffering, and also for those who have no one to pray for them. I think you pray for millions and millions of souls with those prayers!! May God continue to bless you on your journey back to Him!
    That was so beautifully said.

Glad to see you back, please stay. Things are getting interesting
    Farawayhills likes this.

•