Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: I got into Oxford!

Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Holy crap! That is freakin awesome news!!! Congrats!! You should be so proud!! That is one of the best universities in the world!

i went on a tour there once- so in love with the campus!!
    Yes it is! And the oldest university in the English-speaking world!
    oldyfan and DizzyDollyDee like this.

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by clh_hilary View Post
    Well unfortunately I think it does mean that I won't have as much time going online from October to whenever I finish my research. My boyfriend, who went to Oxford, kept saying that I am underestimating how pack an Oxford degree is.
    Oh no, who's gonna straighten us out when we spout out incorrect information. : (

Oh well, I guess we'll just have to run amuck while you're gone. lol.

Congrats just wondering isn't oxford like harvard, stanford, Brown, Princeton, Yale you know an Ivy League school ?

Quote Originally Posted by Marie2011 View Post
    Congrats just wondering isn't oxford like harvard, stanford, Brown, Princeton, Yale you know an Ivy League school ?
    Thanks!

No, Ivy League is only an alliance for universities in north eastern United States. In Britain, they have an equivalent called the Russell Group. But more appropriately the Golden Triangle of Britain. The term 'Oxbridge' refers to Oxford and Cambridge Universities, the Top 2 most employable universities according to surveys last year. This is where Oxford English Dictionaries come from, and the 'Oxford' of Oxford Streets, Oxford Shoes, and Oxonians.

Oxford claims 47 Nobel laureates, 25 British prime ministers (the current Australian PM also read at Oxf), 31 British notable justices, 20 American senators and representatives, 3 governors, 2 kings, and 12 saints (and 89 archbishops). President Clinton also graduated from Oxford.

Coincidentally the current Chancellor, Lord Chris Pattern, was the last governor of Hong Kong!

Carrie Guru
    Thanks!

No, Ivy League is only an alliance for universities in north eastern United States. In Britain, they have an equivalent called the Russell Group. But more appropriately the Golden Triangle of Britain. The term 'Oxbridge' refers to Oxford and Cambridge Universities, the Top 2 most employable universities according to surveys last year. This is where Oxford English Dictionaries come from, and the 'Oxford' of Oxford Streets, Oxford Shoes, and Oxonians.

Oxford claims 47 Nobel laureates, 25 British prime ministers (the current Australian PM also read at Oxf), 31 British notable justices, 20 American senators and representatives, 3 governors, 2 kings, and 12 saints (and 89 archbishops). President Clinton also graduated from Oxford.

Coincidentally the current Chancellor, Lord Chris Pattern, was the last governor of Hong Kong!
    Yup, classic example of why I'm gonna miss you. : )

Quote Originally Posted by opry051008 View Post
    Yup, classic example of why I'm gonna miss you. : )
    You will always have Wikipedia.
    opry051008 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Awwwww I am first of all so happy for you. To say I am impresssed seems unfair. You are amazing, so I am not that impressed just so proud that you put your incredible talents to work and achieved this.

(You mentioned some of the outcrops of the Oxford name; I sold, for many years, Oxford Editions of many music books. The Oxford library of books is huge and very prestigious, to say nothing for "Expensive"!!)

Congrats, I am so happy for you.
    You must promise to visit!!

Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    Awwwww I am first of all so happy for you. To say I am impresssed seems unfair. You are amazing, so I am not that impressed just so proud that you put your incredible talents to work and achieved this.

(You mentioned some of the outcrops of the Oxford name; I sold, for many years, Oxford Editions of many music books. The Oxford library of books is huge and very prestigious, to say nothing for "Expensive"!!)

Congrats, I am so happy for you.
    You must promise to visit!!
    Yeah, Oxford University Press publishes lots of stuff. Speaking of Oxford libraries, Oxford University has a library which is legally entitled to request a free copy of every book ever released in the United Kingdom. Looking forward to literally getting lost there especially when undergraduates, I heard, are not usually granted permission to enter.
    pklongbeach likes this.

Concert Stars
    Wow just saw this thread and I really want to congratulate you! What a prestigious honor! Congrats and best wishes for a wonderful new adventure!
    rainbow1 and DizzyDollyDee like this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Awesome - awesome - awesome - take in every moment and enjoy!

Maybe you can become a "rogue scholar". (Rhodes Scholar)

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I got an offer from The University of Oxford earlier (better yet, on my birthday!) to read a master of science this coming October! WooHoo!
    Congrats.... that is beyond awesome... If you were smart enough to get into oxford, then you are smart enough to succeed at anything you do in life. So go to oxford and be great.

Quote Originally Posted by lolita55 View Post
    Congrats.... that is beyond awesome... If you were smart enough to get into oxford, then you are smart enough to succeed at anything you do in life. So go to oxford and be great.
    Thanks! Don't think it means that much though. :P It's not that exclusive.

Congratulations! You should be proud of yourself. I wouldn't have a hope of gettiing into there. I'm lucky that we have quite a few good universities here in Liverpool, otherwise I'd have to move somewhere else. I hope you enjoy your time there.
    I'm so hopeless at geography, I can't even remember where Oxford IS in England...
    clh_hilary likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Thanks! Don't think it means that much though. :P It's not that exclusive.
    I could never in a million years get into oxford, and a lot of people that I know could not either. So it is great that you were able to get into oxford.
    clh_hilary likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Clare Rose View Post
    Congratulations! You should be proud of yourself. I wouldn't have a hope of gettiing into there. I'm lucky that we have quite a few good universities here in Liverpool, otherwise I'd have to move somewhere else. I hope you enjoy your time there.
    I'm so hopeless at geography, I can't even remember where Oxford IS in England...
    It's sort of close to London.

[QUOTE=clh_hilary;4512748]It's sort of close to London. [/QUOTE
    Thank you Do you have to move far?

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Congrats!!!
    clh_hilary likes this.

[QUOTE=Clare Rose;4512819]
    It's sort of close to London. [/QUOTE
    Thank you Do you have to move far?
    Yes, I live in Hong Kong. :P So it's like 10 thousand miles from home.

[QUOTE=clh_hilary;4512905]
    Quote Originally Posted by Clare Rose View Post

Yes, I live in Hong Kong. :P So it's like 10 thousand miles from home.
    Oh, wow! England is nice, I'm sure you'll like it here. Of course, I live in the North, not the South where Oxford is, so people there will probably be posh. But I'm sure they'll be lovely

•  
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast