Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Obsessed Carrie Fan

My First Job Interview! Advice Please!

Well, I have my first job interview Tuesday!

I'm 18 and this is my first job ever, and it's for an assistant at a library, which is located right beside my high school!

Do you guys have any advice for me?

Thank you.

Look the interviewer in the eyes and act like you are talking to that person and not the floor, ceiling, or walls.

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chevrolet View Post
    Look the interviewer in the eyes and act like you are talking to that person and not the floor, ceiling, or walls.
    Good advice. Also know something about that particular library and the library profession. Be sure to understand the job and ask about the day to day responsibilities.

Make sure you sell yourself as in why the library would benefit from hiring you - what you can bring to the library, i.e. personality, love working with people, affection for reading and books, etc. Don't bring up salary on your own.

Concert Stars
    Be confident and yourself at the same time! Use proper english....please don't answer with ya's and nah's. Yes and no sound so much better!
    Congratulations and best wishes for your first ever job interview! Be sure to keep us posted.

Concert Stars
    Those are all good pieces of advice. Also, dress appropriately. You only have one chance to make a good first impression.

Concert Stars
    A firm handshake never hurts, while you are looking them straight in the eye!! I'll say a prayer!!

All good advice here!! Let us know how it goes!! Prayers out to you!!

Concert Stars
    Ok let me take off my class clown hat and put on my Small business owners hat.......
    When I interview someone for a position here are the most important things to me
    1.punctuality... Get there early(very important)
    2. Be happy to meet the interviewer..... Firm handshake and eye contact are very important.....
    3. Reliability.... In your case (because this is your first interview)stress that you never miss any School...Believe it or not this is extremly important...
    4. Look sharp...And be yourself.... If your shy be shy if your outgoing be outgoing...... Don't try and be something your not...

Good luck judging by your posts I would say try not to worry and always believe in yourself.... If you believe in yourself everyone including this interviewer will believe in you also.... And always remember even if this doesn't work out it just frees you up to find that better opportunity that's always out there waiting to be found....

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Good luck. One other thing I would add is it may be helpful to learn about company and maybe think about the kinds of questions that might come up. Once you have an idea of the kinds of questions they might ask, it'd be a good idea to do a few "practice rounds" with someone you know. Come up with a list of questions & do some research about common questions, then you can have someone be the "interviewer" and you can be the "interviewee." Sometimes other people often pick up on little things/habits you may not even notice, but it'll help you put your best foot forward. There are lots of great websites out there that give great tips, too. I'd suggest practicing and using all the resources out there to help you do your best.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Everyone, especially Russ have given you very good advice and there really isn't anything more that I could add to it.

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    This is a great thread!!
    Last edited by robinannhunt; 11-22-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by 12russ79 View Post
    Ok let me take off my class clown hat and put on my Small business owners hat.......
    When I interview someone for a position here are the most important things to me
    1.punctuality... Get there early(very important)
    2. Be happy to meet the interviewer..... Firm handshake and eye contact are very important.....
    3. Reliability.... In your case (because this is your first interview)stress that you never miss any School...Believe it or not this is extremly important...
    4. Look sharp...And be yourself.... If your shy be shy if your outgoing be outgoing...... Don't try and be something your not...

Good luck judging by your posts I would say try not to worry and always believe in yourself.... If you believe in yourself everyone including this interviewer will believe in you also.... And always remember even if this doesn't work out it just frees you up to find that better opportunity that's always out there waiting to be found....
    Excellent advice. Would like to a number 5 to the list.

5. Balance your qualifications by expressing a willingness to learn and be a team player.

Concert Stars
    Congrats on the interview!
    All the above is great advice.
    I'm actually trained (and have worked in public and government libraries) as a Library Technician, so I might even be able to help you, if you have any specific questions.

Good Luck!

Concert Stars
    This is a great thread! Be enthusiastic about wanting to work, be prepared to answer general questions about yourself—especially those situational questions ("what would you do if...").
    Best of luck! You'll do great.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Well, tomorrow is the big day!!

Quote Originally Posted by carriefann View Post
    Well, tomorrow is the big day!!
    I was thinking about you today...GOOD LUCK tomorrow...let us know how it goes!!!

Concert Stars
    Smile as much as you can. Make it seem like you're confident even if you're not. That's a big thing. Study up on the job and what it entitles, and why you would be a good person for the position. Things like that! Interviews are always a scary and stressful thing (well, they are for me at least) but once you're there and face to face it's usually not anywhere near as bad as you thought it would be. GOOD LUCK!

Carrie Guru
    Be honest and do NOT exaggerate ! Good luck.

Concert Stars
    Good luck. Let them know how much they need you, not the other way around. Make yourself sound indespensible. Let us know how it goes. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast