Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: 2019 Grammys

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar

2019 Grammys

(Apologies if there's already a thread on this - I couldn't find one)

I'm so pleased for Brandi - she pulled off the triple in the American Roots field - Best Performance and Best Song for "The Joke", and best Album for "By the Way I Forgive You" (The Song & Album awards are shared with her guitarists/co-writers, Phil & Tim Hanseroth, and producer, Dave Cobb)
    An outstanding artist - and the message in this song and album are so important for anyone marginalized for seeming different.

Other awards include:
    Luke Laird, Shane McAnally & Kacey Musgraves, for "Space Cowboy" (Best Country Song)
    Kacey Musgraves for "Butterflies" (Best Country Solo Performance)
    Dan & Shay for "Tequila" (Best Country Duo/Group Performance)
    Willie Nelson for "My Way" (Best Traditional Pop Album")
    Lady Gaga for "Joanne" (Best Pop Solo Performance)
    Jason Crabb for "unexpected" (Best Roots Gospel Album)
    The Travelin' McCourys (self titled) (Best Bluegrass Album)
    rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Loved Kacey's performance of "Rainbow". That is my favorite song from "Golden Hour". Hopefully she wins Album of the Year.

Dolly Parton is named Person of the Year by MusiCares (the charity wing of NARAS). She is described as the first Country artist to win that accolade (though some previous winners, including Bonnie Raitt, Don Henley, and Bob Dylan have performed Country material, while also being noted for work in other genres)

Emmylou and Linda (who performed with Dolly on the famed "Trio" albums) introduced the award. This was an especially poignant moment, not least in view of Linda's enforced retirement due to Parkinson's Disease
    rainbow1 likes this.

Huge Carrie Follower sweetsugarcandyman's Avatar
    While I like Ariana I canít believe Sweetner won. What a nothing album to win. Likewise with Joanne. I feel Lady Gaga only won that due to a Star is born.

I feel a majority of the nominations where skewed towards a younger audience and were not really warranted in a lot of cases.

I hope Kasey wins country album.

Kacey did win the Country Album award. As I've said, I've been a fan of hers for years - but I can't really get into this album. It's too lush, Pop leaning, and "trippy" (her own term for the psychedelic feel of some of the numbers) for my personal tastes, and this time, I was rooting for Ashley McBryde (who's probably less widely known to be a winner at this stage). I do acknowledge, though, that "Golden Hour" is an impressive artistic and technical achievement.

I'm pleased that Gaga has had a couple of wins - she has early career connections with the Country scene, and a Country bar in Texas gave her one of her first breaks. Although she's associated with flamboyant displays, she's also an impressive vocal interpreter of the nuances in a lyric.

Grady Smith tweeted:
    "I consider the 'A Star Is Born' soundtrack a win for country music. It's got the fingerprints of Dave Cobb, Lukas Nelson, Lori McKenna, Jason Isbell, Natalie Hemby, and Hillary Lindsey on it."
    rainbow1 likes this.

I recorded for Kacey and Janelle Monae. I love Golden hour. I'm happy she won award for it. I love every song on the album. She really is talented artist. Her speech was so sweet. I'm so happy Kacey won country album. She looked so elegant. Kacey did such stunning performance.

Janelle Monae slayed her performance. She is another very talented artist.
    Farawayhills likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    Kacey did win the Country Album award. As I've said, I've been a fan of hers for years - but I can't really get into this album. It's too lush, Pop leaning, and "trippy" (her own term for the psychedelic feel of some of the numbers) for my personal tastes, and this time, I was rooting for Ashley McBryde (who's probably less widely known to be a winner at this stage). I do acknowledge, though, that "Golden Hour" is an impressive artistic and technical achievement.
    I'm right the opposite. I was not a fan of Kacey's at all until "Golden Hour". I don't know, her music just didn't do anything for me and I didn't care for her voice. But, my goodness, "Golden Hour" hit me like a ton of bricks. There is just something very special about it. It has a lot of emotional weight to it and I love the style of the songs. Like I said earlier, "Rainbow" is my favorite... so touching.
    Farawayhills likes this.

Concert Stars
    Also glad Jason Crabb won. I was rooting for The Martins because they haven't won a Grammy yet and should have about 20, but I love Jason too. Jason's album features an incredible duet with Gary from Rascal Flatts.
    Farawayhills and txacar like this.

The two Country nominees for Best New Artist (Luke Combs and Margo Price) both missed out, the award going to Dua Lipa (an English artist, whom I confess - to my shame - I haven't heard). Congratulations - but it underlines that it is pretty rare for someone in the Country field to win in this category - something that Carrie nevertheless achieved in her breakout years.

This year - like most of you - I had high hopes of "Cry Pretty" featuring in the Country Solo category. On a fan board, you could expect something like that to be said any year - but CP was something really special, both for its starkly believable, emotional beginning, and for its innovative and complex final blending of musical and vocal effects. Still head scratching that it didn't even figure in the nominations.
    rainbow1, Suellen, txacar and 2 others like this.

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Congrats to Kacey. Guess I need to listen to this album as a whole. I have listen more to Brandi's album.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    You're not missing out on anything with Dua Lipa.

I was really shocked "Cry Pretty" missed out on any nominations, especially Solo Vocal. I thought that was a given. I was fully expecting Country Song and Album. It's just inexcusable, especially with Kelsea's nomination in Country Album.

Things have changed apparently with the way the Grammys work. Adam was talking about it a while back.
    rainbow1, Gator and Farawayhills like this.

Huge Carrie Follower sweetsugarcandyman's Avatar
    Iím really impressed that Kasey won album of the year. Itís not often that doesnít go to someone within pop. I think hat will do great things for her and country music as a whole.

Just goes to show women can make awesome country music. Now if only the country shows would pay attention.
    Farawayhills, rainbow1 and txacar like this.

I'm not sure how long this clip will be available - but it's from Brandi's press interview after the Grammys. It contains several interesting and eloquent comments about the importance of the American Roots field in giving a place to artists who can't be easily categorized elsewhere, and the growing recognition of the role of women in the genre.
    https://twitter.com/TwitterLive/stat...39457717542914

(She says she'd love to produce a future record by Courtney Marie Andrews - who has recently won Best International Artist at the UK AMAs - so if you think you hear an imaginary whoop, that'd be me!)
    rainbow1, Gator and txacar like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetsugarcandyman View Post
    Iím really impressed that Kasey won album of the year. Itís not often that doesnít go to someone within pop. I think hat will do great things for her and country music as a whole.

Just goes to show women can make awesome country music. Now if only the country shows would pay attention.
    It's the first country album to win since Taylor Swift's Fearless in 2010 actually, and before that, the Dixie Chicks in 2007.

Considering the fact that the former was the breakout pop album of the year, and the latter was political, it's very impressive.
    rainbow1 and txacar like this.

A picture of the Trio's reunion at the MusicCares tribute:

https://twitter.com/highwayqueens/st...70883994857473
    hjj, rainbow1 and twaintrain like this.

Jason Scott has posted charts from i-Tunes, giving some idea of the "post Grammy" effect on artists' downloads;

https://twitter.com/JasontheScott/st...78428833595392
    rainbow1 likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I donít want to offend anybody here but, I really dislike rap music. I cannot for the life of me understand why people still listen to it as much as they do.
    twaintrain and rainbow1 like this.

Concert Stars
    Thank you for that link to Brandiís press interview. She answered all questions perfectly and genuinely. I love her passion for not only the music, but womenís place in the industry. It certainly was interesting and I look forward for more things from her soon. Talented lady.
    rainbow1 and Farawayhills like this.

For those who may not have seen the Grammy show, here's a video of Dolly's segment. It's a medley of several Dolly songs (including a new one, "Red Shoes", where's she's joined by Little Big Town)

Country stars Kacey Musgraves and Maren Morris also appear.

The highlight for me is around 3.14 - a performance reprising the Trio's version of Neil Young's haunting doomsday elegy "After the Gold Rush". (Miley Ray Cyrus has always shown the ability to give full honour to Dolly's vocals, and there are parts here where she visibly has to help her godmother through this emotional occasion)

rainbow1 and Mirasa45A like this.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast