Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Pistol Annies ~ Interstate Gospel era

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar

Pistol Annies ~ Interstate Gospel era

In accord with the music forum guidelines, it seems time to replace the thread that we've been using for general chat about the group, with a new album era thread.

(Thanks to @ranfancentral for the following information)

The album will be called "Interstate Gospel", which is also the title of one of the songs (information confirmed by PAC Radio Show)

This is the expected track list:

Kizmet311 and DizzyDollyDee like this.

Should be interesting. Does Pistol Annie's have an official website? They apparently sent out a email to fans with some info about upcoming music.

Yes yes yes! I'm so happy Pistol Annie's is making new cd. Titles sound interesting!

Farawayhills likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by abbeyjones18 View Post
    Should be interesting. Does Pistol Annie's have an official website? They apparently sent out a email to fans with some info about upcoming music.
    They are on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram - these are all in current active use, but I don't know who maintains them. (As well as their individual artist accounts, the three women also had Twitter accounts under their group names of Hippie Annie, Holler Annie and Lone Star Annie - these still exist, but haven't been used in a long while)

There is an official website registered, at https://pistolannies.com - but this redirects to a site owned by Sony Nashville. It seems to be used at present mainly to publicize a competition to win tickets to see them - presumably the intention is to enlarge it with other promotional material nearer release time.

They had rather a neat idea for the info on music - if you gave your details, they would send you an actual postcard, with what seems to be different short extracts of forthcoming lyrics as clues. They said the postcards would run out, so the promotion was limited, on a first come, first served basis. Some people who received them have posted pictures. (I'll have to wait to see if I get one in England! Lol)

Somebody on Twitter put together all the lyric lines people had reported and matched them to the song titles:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dnph7aoWsAIjHZ4.jpg:large

(credit: Lauren Brdar)

Thanks. Interesting promotion, for sure.

I have been following Ashley Monroe and Miranda on Instagram. Ashley in particular had been sharing a lot of pictures and clues regarding upcoming music from the Annies. I'm so excited for this record. Definitely seems something very different from the titles. A lot of storytelling and fine details. I don't know what Interstate Gospel means. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Momin View Post
    I have been following Ashley Monroe and Miranda on Instagram. Ashley in particular had been sharing a lot of pictures and clues regarding upcoming music from the Annies. I'm so excited for this record. Definitely seems something very different from the titles. A lot of storytelling and fine details. I don't know what Interstate Gospel means. Any ideas?
    We don't know the reason for the title - it appears twice, as a Prelude at the start of the album, and as the closing song, so it must be a key tp what they consider to be significant.

Michelle Lindsey, from Scotland, who runs the blog "Highway Queens", has this suggestion:

"in my opinion it is perfect title for an album by three women from different states whoíve come together to spread the word about life, love and country music."

The "Gospel" idea may simply mean spreading the word, or it may give an idea of the musical style of that particular song. It would not necessarily have a religious connotation - but, in the past, the women have been critical of what they see as the hypocrisy in the use of religion as a symbolic cloak for a secular. socially conservative world view.

Michelle has put together an article summarizing what we know (or might be able to guess) so far. She thinks the clues on the post cards suggest November 2nd as the release date.
    https://highwayqueens.com/2018/09/22...-their-return/

By the way, I didn't get one of the 2,500 post cards sent out - but I noticed that the e-mail sent was from Lindale in TX. That implies that Miranda's mother, Beverley, and her staff are handling a large part of the publicity - which is a good thing, as I have doubts about Sony Nashville doing much.
    Josh and Momin like this.

The first song is out - "Got my Name Changed Back" - a divorce-survival satire, that is bound to infuriate some of the Twitterverse!
    Some really catchy music, that mixes old and new influences. It reminded me of early Dixie Chicks, before their major label deal - especially the retro-Pop feel of the closing part of the song.

(If it is unavailable for embedding on other sites, this is the YouTube link)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo_O25j7WO8
    opry051008, rainbow1 and Josh like this.

Concert Stars
    Unavailable, Faraway...

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    Unavailable, Faraway...
    No, sorry - I didn't realize last night, but what has happened is that three songs have been advance released on Vevo, as a UK exclusive. This article explains the release (and confirms that the whole album will available on Nov 2nd)

Pistol Annies Drop Three New Tracks from Interstate Gospel | Sounds Like Nashville NL

ďBest Years of My Life.Ē is a beautiful, slow number, which I think even fans who don't really get the "sassy" satirical numbers are going to love. Miranda sings lead, and I think it's up among the best of her earlier slow heart-tuggers

Junior Carrie Follower DazzledByCarrie's Avatar
    So excited for this album. Iíve enjoyed all three clips Iíve heard so far and Iíve loved both their previous albums. I think Ashley is one of the most underrated artists out there and Iíll take new music any way she will give it.
    Farawayhills likes this.

I think the cover art for this album is pretty stunning!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DoGwLaMXkAAdygn.jpg:large

I'm not sure how far the spirit of many of the new songs will be reflected by this picture - but the ethereal image puts me most in mind of an earlier song they recorded with Irish band, the Chieftains - and as there are strong hints that they will tour over here, that seems appropriate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Htb12uahI

Songwriting details (thanks to Brandy McDonnell on News OK) are pretty straightforward : all album tracks are written jointly by the three members, except for the closing track, "This Too Shall Pass", which was written by Ashley and Angaleena

Angaleena sings lead on the title track. I think these are the lyrics:

Jesus is the Bread of Life, without Him you're toast
    Hallelujah y'all, I've found the Holy Ghost
    To be almost saved only means that you're lost
    Sins are expensive when Jesus paid the cost

[Chorus]:
    These church signs, they light up these roads that I roam
    They're leading me closer, they're calling me home
    The further I get, the further I go
    This interstate gospel is saving my soul
    This interstate gospel is saving my soul

If you can't stand the heat, turn the prayer-conditioner up
    Drink some holy water from a Dixie cup
    If you're running on empty, fill up on faith
    Even ol' Moses was a basket case

[Chorus]

In this song, which emerges from a jagged, distorted beat, lines expressing faith are interspersed with some unusual and humorous verbal imagery (toast, prayer conditioner, basket case, etc). That, in itself, may prove controversial to some, who prefer religious themes to be conventional and expressed more solemnly.. Some may be tempted to interpret the song as parody. It could, perhaps, also be interpreted as largely a metaphor, using religious terms to express returning home by road to the South - but I think that both those interpretations would probably be inaccurate, and would underestimate the song. We can't expect this group to be conventional - their persona is built around a sharp wit, with lyrics that contain an element of whimsy, and seek to show things in a different light. The lines expressing actual theological beliefs do seem serious, and the references to Jesus, in particular, seem sincere. I think it's consistent with what we appear to know about their outlook - showing faith in the New Testament Gospels, but rejecting what they see as a misuse of formalized religious tenets to support a particular social ideology.

Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    I think the cover art for this album is pretty stunning!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DoGwLaMXkAAdygn.jpg:large

I'm not sure how far the spirit of many of the new songs will be reflected by this picture - but the ethereal image puts me most in mind of an earlier song they recorded with Irish band, the Chieftains - and as there are strong hints that they will tour over here, that seems appropriate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Htb12uahI
    They look ethereal. Love it. Thanks so much for posting the video. That was so stunning.

I like all three women music wise. I wish they could be played on radio. Angeelina is just such talented very relatable singer songwriter. I wish she could she could get more recognition. Anyway I'm so excited. I suppose they want solo career with Pistol Annie's in between their albums which is fine with me. I really like them as individual artists and as group. Their music is so good. They really do blend their styles together so well. They are all very talented writers. I like how they show some of the different flavors country has to offer. I'm excited to see what they have done on this album.
    Farawayhills likes this.

Michelle Lindsey has also been able to confirm the album producers - Frank Liddell, Glenn Worf and Eric Masse. (These producers also worked on "The Weight of These Wings" - Frank and Glenn are long term Miranda producers, and Eric Masse's East Nashville studio was where her double album was made, in almost total secrecy)
    This time, the new Pistol Annies album is getting a lot of advance notice - much of it apparently coming from people close to Miranda (I've been unable to tell how much the three artists' record labels are involved - the picture below seems to be attributing the album to Carnival Music - which is Frank Liddell's own company)
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DonKQXeXgAcewxA.jpg:large

There is some beautiful album art this time. Thanks to Miranda's hairdresser, Johnny LaVoy, we know some of the details about the photo shoot. He styled the hair for Miranda and Angaleena, while Ashley's was styled by Leah Hoff. Miranda's makeup artist, Moanie Lee, prepared Miranda and Ashley for the cameras, while Angaleena was made up by Lindsay Doyle. All three were dressed by Miranda's designer, Tiffany Gifford. The photography was by Miller Mobley.

An informal picture released suggests that Miranda plays musical washboard on at least one track - this produces a loud scratchy rhythm, used in some Blues, Country Rock and Appalachian music.

She is scheduled for a Songwriters' event in Hawai'i, and she has said she will take the other two Annies as guests and preview some of the songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    Michelle Lindsey has also been able to confirm the album producers - Frank Liddell, Glenn Worf and Eric Masse. (These producers also worked on "The Weight of These Wings" - Frank and Glenn are long term Miranda producers, and Eric Masse's East Nashville studio was where her double album was made, in almost total secrecy)
    This time, the new Pistol Annies album is getting a lot of advance notice - much of it apparently coming from people close to Miranda (I've been unable to tell how much the three artists' record labels are involved - the picture below seems to be attributing the album to Carnival Music - which is Frank Liddell's own company)
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DonKQXeXgAcewxA.jpg:large

There is some beautiful album art this time. Thanks to Miranda's hairdresser, Johnny LaVoy, we know some of the details about the photo shoot. He styled the hair for Miranda and Angaleena, while Ashley's was styled by Leah Hoff. Miranda's makeup artist, Moanie Lee, prepared Miranda and Ashley for the cameras, while Angaleena was made up by Lindsay Doyle. All three were dressed by Miranda's designer, Tiffany Gifford. The photography was by Miller Mobley.

An informal picture released suggests that Miranda plays musical washboard on at least one track - this produces a loud scratchy rhythm, used in some Blues, Country Rock and Appalachian music.

She is scheduled for a Songwriters' event in Hawai'i, and she has said she will take the other two Annies as guests and preview some of the songs.
    That's cool she.. The selfish fan in me wants preview lol.. I'm just happy it's not that far away.
    Farawayhills likes this.

A video for "Got My Name Changed Back" has been shot - apparently, at least in part, at the Rutherford County Clerk's building in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. According to Johnny LaVoy (who had a part in Miranda's "We Should Be Friends", and, judging by his comment, is probably in this one too), it was directed by Trey Fanjoy, who has had a long association with Miranda, directing 13 of her videos as a solo artist, since 2004, as well as the Pistol Annies' previous video for "Hush Hush".

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast