Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By Josh

Thread: This year's AMA awards

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar

This year's AMA awards

Jason was (as expected) the big winner, with Album and Song of the Year, and the Group Award for the 400 Unit. The much admired veteran singer/songwriter, John Prine, was Artist of the Year.
    I was particularly pleased to see a woman win Instrumentalist of the Year.

This is the full list:

Album of the Year: The Nashville Sound, Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit, produced by Dave Cobb
    Artist of the Year: John Prine
    Song of the Year: “If We Were Vampires,” Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit, written by Jason Isbell
    Duo/Group of the Year: Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit
    Emerging Artist of the Year: Tyler Childers
    Instrumentalist of the Year: Molly Tuttle
    “Spirit of Americana” Free Speech Award, presented in partnership with the First Amendment Center: Rosanne Cash
    Americana Trailblazer Award: k.d. lang
    Lifetime Achievement Award for Instrumentalist: Buddy Guy
    Lifetime Achievement Award for Performance: Irma Thomas
    Jack Emerson Lifetime Achievement Award for Executive: Cris Williamson and Judy Dlugacz of Olivia Records

For anyone who'd like to know why Molly won the instrumental award, this is a demonstration of her acoustic guitar technique, (on Townes Van Zandt's "White Freightliner Blues")

txacar likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    There's a good summary and review of the award show here:
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...awards-723621/

Although it's unusual (and, arguably, inappropriate) for an award recipient to take issue with the organization in his or her acceptance speech, I do agree with Tyler Childers in questioning the very name "Americana" (although I think he put it too bluntly, in saying it "ain’t no part of nothing"). Critic Marissa R Moss said on Twitter that she thought he wasn't attacking the organization as such, but more the attitude of radio and the industry in trying to shunt Roots Music into a separate genre. The point is that most of the artists and songs now called "Americana" are what used to be considered "Country" - and many of the artists, like Childers himself, consider that is what they are. I, personally, don't think we should surrender the name - if a distinction is necessary, I would prefer "Alt Country" or "Roots Country", rather than an entirely new name - and I tend to avoid the term "Americana", except when quoting what others are saying.

The last section is also worth reading: The executive award was given to the two women for the record label that they founded, to highlight female artists. But Cris Williamson is also a noted singer, with her own performance career, and numerous albums to her name. Her comment that she has sold out Carnegie Hall three times, but this is the first award show to give her long career any mention is a poignant reflection on the situation in the industry generally.

Junior Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    There's a good summary and review of the award show here:
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...awards-723621/

Although it's unusual (and, arguably, inappropriate) for an award recipient to take issue with the organization in his or her acceptance speech, I do agree with Tyler Childers in questioning the very name "Americana" (although I think he put it too bluntly, in saying it "ain’t no part of nothing"). Critic Marissa R Moss said on Twitter that she thought he wasn't attacking the organization as such, but more the attitude of radio and the industry in trying to shunt Roots Music into a separate genre. The point is that most of the artists and songs now called "Americana" are what used to be considered "Country" - and many of the artists, like Childers himself, consider that is what they are. I, personally, don't think we should surrender the name - if a distinction is necessary, I would prefer "Alt Country" or "Roots Country", rather than an entirely new name - and I tend to avoid the term "Americana", except when quoting what others are saying.

The last section is also worth reading: The executive award was given to the two women for the record label that they founded, to highlight female artists. But Cris Williamson is also a noted singer, with her own performance career, and numerous albums to her name. Her comment that she has sold out Carnegie Hall three times, but this is the first award show to give her long career any mention is a poignant reflection on the situation in the industry generally.

Holy crap I'm so happy someone mentioned Tyler Childers on here. His music is pretty great. Gives me hope for country.
    Farawayhills likes this.

•