Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By lizcarlo
  • 1 Post By _luvqry
  • 1 Post By Smokyiiis
  • 1 Post By rcramer

Thread: Aretha Franklin, RIP

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar

Aretha Franklin, RIP

So sad to hear today of the death of the "Queen of Soul", Aretha Franklin - widely acknowledged as one of the greatest popular musicians of the C20 and C21 centuries. She will also be fondly remembered as a cultural icon, contributing to the Civil Rights movement and the advancement of racial and sexual equality.

She won some 18 Grammys in her career, and her influence on singers in all genres of contemporary music is well known. She recorded in Muscle Shoals, and was widely respected in the Country community, admired, for example by Willie Nelson and Kris Kristofferson, and influencing artists from the Flying Burrito Brothers to Martina McBride and Miranda Lambert (Ran often covered her in concert, especially the Feminist anthem, 'Do Right Woman, Do Right Man'. She tweeted today "The Greatest of All Time", with a heartbroken icon). Aretha herself covered several Country songs in her career, including 'You Are My Sunshine', 'Cold, Cold Heart', and the 1950 Tennessee Ernie Ford/Kay Starr duet 'I'll Never Be Free'

This video, from, I think, 2015, shows a classic, emotional performance, at a Kennedy Center tribute to Carole King.
    RIP, a true "diva" of our time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHsnZT7Z2yQ
    lizcarlo, Hil, hjj and 1 others like this.

RIP Legendary Aretha Franklin
    Farawayhills likes this.

wow... I couldn't believe when I read the title. May she rest in peace.
    Farawayhills likes this.

Concert Stars
    Wonderful voice, loved her soul. Wishing her family all the best during this time and praying they continue to celebrate her in the future.
    Farawayhills likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    RIP The Queen of Soul....

Reba was also inspired by her, enough to do her own cover of RESPECT......
    Farawayhills likes this.

There've been several other tributes from the Country community since i posted, including one from Carrie (see Madkatt's post in the twitter & instagram thread.) Others I saw included jason Isbell, Tanya Tucker, Zac Brown, Will Hoge - and an interesting post from Faith Hill, including photographs, from a time when they collaborated together for a proposed track on one of Aretha's albums - though that track did not make the final cut, and the photos had not previously been published.

I'm sure tribute events will be planned later in the year. As her friend Stevie Wonder, who attended her final sick bed, stressed that her influence was all-genre, I hope there will also be a Country element in the tribute performances.

And this, from Courtney Marie Andrews:

"Aretha gave me the confidence to sing. She made me believe I could be a powerful woman with a strong voice. I love you, Aretha. Thank you for everything. Your records will mean the world to me for the rest of my life. Rest In Peace, Queen of Soul."

And, from Brothers Osborne:

"If you’re feeling down about Aretha Franklin just think, the universe is billions of years old and we got to live at the same time as her. We’re the lucky ones."

•