Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree457Likes

Thread: 2019 Grammys

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars

2019 Grammys

"In an effort to increase the chances of a more gender-diverse representation, the GRAMMY AWARDS will expand the number of nominees in its biggest categories from five to eight, the NEW YORK TIMES reports. The change will impact the Best Album, Record, New Artist and Song Of The Year categories, and will go into effect immediately, in time for the 61st annual show next year."
    DaisyTweets, txacar, Hil and 4 others like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    That's a start (the last awards were certainly criticized for imbalance). But the number of awards in the Country field were cut back several years ago, and the American Roots field is severely crowded. No sign of that changing.
    Hil, rainbow1 and txacar like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan

Grammy's increase their nominees for Major Awards

Do you think Carrie have a chance with them increasing Grammy's chances. I got this in my email.

Grammys Increase Nominees For Major Awards
    June 26, 2018 at 10:20 AM (PT)

For Diversity's Sake
    In an effort to increase the chances of a more gender-diverse representation, the GRAMMY AWARDS will expand the number of nominees in its biggest categories from five to eight, the NEW YORK TIMES reports. The change will impact the Best Album, Record, New Artist, and Song Of The Year categories and will go into effect immediately, in time for the 61st annual show next year.
    “This change will better reflect the large number of entries in these categories and allow voters greater flexibility when selecting this year’s best recordings,” the RECORDING ACADEMY said in a note to its members.
    The move seems prompted after the negative reaction to last year's awards, where only one woman (LORDE) was nominated for Best Album, and only one woman won an award in one of the handful of televised categories (ALESSIA CARA for Best New Artist). Fueling the fire was a USC study that found women comprising only 9.3% of GRAMMY nominees over the past five years in the top four categories, along with Producer Of The Year.
    To top it off, RECORDING ACADEMY Pres. NEIL PORTNOW said in response that women in music should “step up” to advance their careers. PORTNOW has since announced he would step down when he tenure ends in 2019.
    There were other revisions in the award process, including a redefinition of Alternative music. It is now defined as “a less intense version of Rock or a more intense version of Pop,” which “may embrace a variety of subgenres or any hybrids thereof and may include recordings that don’t fit into other genre categories.”

https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/a..._country_daily
    txacar likes this.

Junior Carrie Follower

Grammys 2019

Since it hasn't been created yet I thought I would Start the Thread

Grammys 2019

Given the recently announced Expansion.. The Big 4 categories going from 5 to 8. Will this mean any chance Cry Pretty reaches any of those coveted spots for a nomination or even a Win. Billboard is already talking about how Country will make the appearance now, but are giving their thoughts over to Kacey for coming close with each album. Thoughts???

https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...ording-academy

https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...our-candidates
    txacar likes this.

I think Kacey will definitely have voting support for album in the General field. There are a number of reasons for this. The fact that Mainstream Country radio gave her very patchy support gave her a strong incentive to shift her focus into General Music. Her music had an inbuilt appeal to General Music voters - it was at the "folky", alternative end of Country (which is often more acceptable than the Mainstream would be to those General Music voters who may not have have a high regard for commercial Country.) Some of her themes involved social criticism, and some touched lightly on a freethinking approach to sex and drugs - which often goes down better in General Music. Her collaboration with Katy Perry gave her a higher profile in General Music. Her latest album involves lush, spirited, upbeat arrangements, which put less obvious emphasis on Country Music.

It's not possible to say much about Carrie's Cry Pretty album until we hear it (beyond the fact that one professional on Twitter was very impressed - which is a tantalizing clue, but not enough to base a general judgment on)

As for Song, I think that's a difficult category to win in General Music for commercial Country artists in general. I do, though think Cry Pretty is a stronger song than Kacey's new ones (and if anyone might think that's bias, I don't believe it is - I've followed Kacey for longer than Carrie - since before she left Texas and before she had any major label albums. I just think that Cry Pretty is more powerful, more interestingly structured, and more musically adventurous)
    txacar, Suellen, Smokyiiis and 2 others like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    noms announced 12/5/18, live show 2/10/19

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Save The Date: Grammys Set For Sunday, February 10th, 2019 In Los Angeles
    February 10th, 2019
    The RECORDING ACADEMY today (7/17) announced information about the "61ST GRAMMY AWARDS," which are set for SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 10th, 2019 at STAPLES CENTER in LOS ANGELES and broadcast live on CBS-TV at 8p (ET). Nominations in all 84 categories will be announced WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 5th, honoring recordings released between SUNDAY, OCTOBER 1st, 2017 and SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 30th, 2018.

"We are delighted to host the world's premier music event back in our hometown and look forward to celebrating the remarkable musical contributions made by songwriters, producers, engineers, mixers, and recording artists," said GRAMMY President/CEO NEIL PORTNOW. "As always, GRAMMY season will kick off with a series of events that showcase various genres of music, educational programs, and our charitable initiatives. We look forward to working with our LOS ANGELES partners to produce some remarkable and unforgettable events." See a full schedule of GRAMMY events here.
    From allaccess.com.
    rainbow1 likes this.

2019 Grammy Discussion Thread

Recording Academy Announces Date, Deadlines for 2019 Grammy Awards

The 61st annual Grammy Awards will air live from the Staples Center in Los Angeles on Sunday, Feb. 10, 2019, the Recording Academy and CBS, the show’s longtime home network, announced today. The show will air live on CBS from 8-11:30 p.m. ET/ 5-8:30 p.m. PT.
    Nominations will be announced in all 84 categories on Wednesday, Dec. 5 and will honor recordings released between Oct. 1, 2017 and Sept. 30, 2018.
    “We are delighted to host the world’s premier music event back in our hometown and look forward to celebrating the remarkable musical contributions made by songwriters, producers, engineers, mixers and recording artists,” said Neil Portnow, President/CEO of the Recording Academy. “As always, Grammy season will kick off with a series of events that showcase various genres of music, educational programs and our charitable initiatives. We look forward to working with our Los Angeles partners to produce some remarkable and unforgettable events.”
    Full article at: https://variety.com/2018/biz/news/20...es-1202875156/

From the article:

Wednesday, August 22, 2018
    Online Entry Process Closes

Wednesday, Oct. 17, 2018
    First Round of Voting Opens

Wednesday, Oct. 31, 2018
    First Round of Voting Closes

Wednesday, Dec. 5, 2018
    Nominees Announced

Thursday, Dec. 13, 2018
    Final Round of Voting Opens

Wednesday, Jan. 9, 2019
    Final Round of Voting Closes

Wednesday, Feb. 6, 2019
    Producers & Engineers Wing celebration

Thursday, Feb. 7, 2019
    Music Educator Award Presentation
    Grammy In The Schools Live!

Friday, Feb. 8, 2019
    Entertainment Law Initiative Event & Scholarship Presentation
    MusiCares Person of the Year

Saturday, Feb. 9, 2019

Grammy Nominees Reception
    Clive Davis’ and the Recording Academy’s Pre-Grammy Gala

Sunday, Feb. 10, 2019
    Grammy Awards Premiere Ceremony
    61st Annual Grammy Awards
    Grammy Celebration

^^What was the significance of that first date, August 22, "Online Entry Process Closes"?
    txacar and rainbow1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    From the article:

^^What was the significance of that first date, August 22, "Online Entry Process Closes"?
    Unlike the CMA, which allows members to nominate any recording they like in the first round voting, NARAS requires recordings to be "submitted" in advance, to be eligible for voting. (The main reason for the "submissions" is to enable the Grammy committees to allocate entries to a particular field.) The purpose of the on-line entry process is to enable eligible members to make these "submissions"

Non members of NARAS can't access the relevant page - so I can't get more details - but I think that last year, record companies that were submitting recordings had to do it in July, but artists who were submitting their own recordings (or other individual members who wanted to submit something on someone's behalf) could do so up to a date in August. (In practice, most commercial recordings likely to attract multiple voting would be submitted by the record companies)
    rainbow1 and Claire2004 like this.

Concert Stars

Grammys 2019 Official Discussion Thread

Ok guys: The Grammy eligibility period has officially closed - 9/30/18. So the voting rounds have begun!

With new rules this year, 10 Albums will be nominated for Album of the Year All Genre, which helps Carrie's chances significantly for Cry Pretty.

Nominations will be announced December 5th. The Grammys will be February 10, 2019.

First Round of Voting officially begins October 17th and closed October 31st.

I really hope Carrie gets some love this year! She totally deserves it!

Eligible Categories for Carrie:

Album of the Year- All Genre
    Country Album
    Song of the Year: Cry Pretty
    Record of the Year: Cry Pretty
    Cry Pretty/Love Wins-- Country Song
    Cry Pretty.Love Wins- Country Solo Performance
    Pop Collab: The Champion- with Ludacris
    Movie/Tv Song: The Champion - With Ludacris
    Video: The Champion or Cry Pretty

Concert Stars
    My thoughts on some of the Major Players this Year:

Album of the Year:

Carrie-- Has a Real Chance for a Nom for the First time in Country Album & All Genre
    Ariana Grande- Lots of Buzz for her Album': All Genre Nom and Pop Album nom likely
    Taylor: Reputation sold Well but doesn't have much buzz
    Drake- Scorpion: Grammy voters love him so yes- he's in
    Beyoncé and Jay-Z: Nominated for all genre album every year-- they are on lock
    Eminem: Rap Album Nom likely; All Genre unclear
    Pink: Pop Album Likely for a Nom; All Genre- unclear
    Nikki Minaj: Rap Album likely; All Genre unlikely
    Cardi B: Rap Album likely- All Genre unlikely
    Kelly Clarkson: Pop Album likely; All Genre unlikely
    Dave Matthews Band: Rock Album Likely; All Genre unclear
    Chris Stapleton: Volume 2 is Eligible-- Grammys love him; Expect a Country Nom for sure

Other: Tony Bennett/Payl McCartney-- Grammy Voters love them

Country Albums: Chris Stapleton
    Kasey Musgraves
    Carrie - Cry Pretty
    Willie Nelson/Loretta Lynn--both are beloved legends so at least 1 gets in

Concert Stars
    Hopefully Spinning Bottles reminds the voters how superb this album is. Perfect timing to perform that song before the voting starts.

I honestly have no idea what is going to happen this year- but I have to remain somewhat positive that she will at least get a few noms. It’s her best album yet and her sales got a lot of press/buzz. She also got very strong reviews overall.

I honestly don’t know what more they would wAnt from
    her if they snub this album. Blood? I have to believe these voters will finally give her the credit she has long been denied. This album is superb.
    Last edited by teesharky; 10-14-2018 at 08:14 PM.
    Suellen, ethelu and rainbow1 like this.

Junior Carrie Follower
    I’m not expecting any all genre nominations. If any country artist will get anything in the all genre, it’ll likely be Kacey Musgraves or Chris Stapleton. I do think she’ll get the solo, pop collob, and I’m hopeful for country album.

^ why would Kacey get a all genre nomination??
    maddkat, rainbow1 and mbh like this.

Quote Originally Posted by simonplay View Post
    If you compare the Metacritic standings, Kacey's "Golden Hour" has a score of 89 ("universal acclaim"), with 16 positive to 1 mixed reviews; Carrie's "Cry Pretty" has a score of 69 ("Generally favourable"), with 6 positive to 5 mixed reviews. (This is actually Carrie's second lowest album rating on that site, with only "Play On" rated lower)
    Most of these reviews, in both cases, come from the General press, rather than from specifically Country sources.

As to why, if Kacey were to get a nomination, it might be in the General field, I think two factors tend to support that - one is the general stylistic feel of the album, which strikes me as significantly closer to General Music than to Country. (Even the Austin paper, which thought it was still Country at its core, said "if this is crossover, you have to admit t's crossover gone right"; and the one mixed review said it was "infatuated with Pop").

The other reason is that Kacey responded to her lack of support from the Mainstream Country sector by focusing her publicity on General Music. Touring with Katy Perry, high-fiving Prince Harry, cultivating an unorthodox image, all won her a lot of attention, and most of her interviews and media spreads have been outside Country.
    I think there is some evidence that, at times of intense political and social division, people who gravitate towards the General Music sector (which includes many Grammy voters) tend to look askance at the conventional Country sector, and prefer the Country artists they support to be "rebels" or "outsiders". Kacey fits that image more than Carrie does.
    (Although some fans do tend to emphasize the side of Carrie that they see as coming from the General entertainment world, as Pop-friendly, and as a Country outsider who only sticks to that genre by personal choice - I don't think that is how most of the music world see her. She tends to be seen as more conventional, very embedded in the Country Mainstream, very closely tied to the major labels, and very much a representative of Nashville's Music Row - that may put her at some disadvantage when all genre voters are choosing their album nominations.)
    teesharky likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Because she has a critically acclaimed album.

But this year Album of the Year winner Bruno Mars have a metacritic score of 70. And there are 3 more albums with more acclaim that Kacey this year and I don't see them having a nomination. I would think that you have to have something more than only 16 good reviews.
    She maybe deserve a nomination, I don't find anything epic in her album though. But I don't see why she would be nominated and Carrie don't.
    teesharky and rainbow1 like this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    But this year Album of the Year winner Bruno Mars have a metacritic score of 70. And there are 3 more albums with more acclaim that Kacey this year and I don't see them having a nomination. I would think that you have to have something more than only 16 good reviews.
    She maybe deserve a nomination, I don't find anything epic in her album though. But I don't see why she would be nominated and Carrie don't.
    She's gotten quite a bit of attention for this album. Not from radio, but she's performed just about every song on different shows. People are noticing he album. And for no radio support, she sold rather respectfully. I don't know if she'll be nominated, but I wouldn't be surprised. I was not enthused by this album of hers like I was the previous two. I'd obviously rather Carrie be nominated instead, but I could see Kacey being the country representative. Although, with 8 nominees this year, we may see another sneak in.
    teesharky and rainbow1 like this.

Concert Stars
    Agree with your assessment of Kasey- but honestly metacritic did not include about ten really strong reviews for Carrie like The Washington Post and News Day as well as TimeMag etc. in fact most of the reviews other than those Indie obscure sites that screwed Carrie in metacrituc were positive. Really positive. Unfortunately no country sites counted that had reviewed the album- etc And Billboard did not review it either . So Carrie’s score is tainted and skewed by mostly the usual haters and obscure Publications no one heard of.

sorry it just upsets me. It’s carrie’s Strongest album yet abd she got really good reviews overall- but they are not counting on metacritic.

Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    If you compare the Metacritic standings, Kacey's "Golden Hour" has a score of 89 ("universal acclaim"), with 16 positive to 1 mixed reviews; Carrie's "Cry Pretty" has a score of 69 ("Generally favourable"), with 6 positive to 5 mixed reviews. (This is actually Carrie's second lowest album rating on that site, with only "Play On" rated lower)
    Most of these reviews, in both cases, come from the General press, rather than from specifically Country sources.

As to why, if Kacey were to get a nomination, it might be in the General field, I think two factors tend to support that - one is the general stylistic feel of the album, which strikes me as significantly closer to General Music than to Country. (Even the Austin paper, which thought it was still Country at its core, said "if this is crossover, you have to admit t's crossover gone right"; and the one mixed review said it was "infatuated with Pop").

The other reason is that Kacey responded to her lack of support from the Mainstream Country sector by focusing her publicity on General Music. Touring with Katy Perry, high-fiving Prince Harry, cultivating an unorthodox image, all won her a lot of attention, and most of her interviews and media spreads have been outside Country.
    I think there is some evidence that, at times of intense political and social division, people who gravitate towards the General Music sector (which includes many Grammy voters) tend to look askance at the conventional Country sector, and prefer the Country artists they support to be "rebels" or "outsiders". Kacey fits that image more than Carrie does.
    (Although some fans do tend to emphasize the side of Carrie that they see as coming from the General entertainment world, as Pop-friendly, and as a Country outsider who only sticks to that genre by personal choice - I don't think that is how most of the music world see her. She tends to be seen as more conventional, very embedded in the Country Mainstream, very closely tied to the major labels, and very much a representative of Nashville's Music Row - that may put her at some disadvantage when all genre voters are choosing their album nominations.)
    Last edited by teesharky; 10-14-2018 at 08:07 PM.
    rainbow1 likes this.

•  
    Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast