Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Sam Hunt - Downtown's Dead

Sam Hunt - Downtown's Dead

Country Hit of the Year is here!

Impacting country radio today Wednesday 16!

2018-05-16 12.32.33.jpg

Audio:

https://youtu.be/-tCpwOkMY9Y

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    No, despite the efforts of some, I hear it's still going strong.

I seem to remember Carrie saying something along the lines that you can go for a walk Downtown, and hear better music than you'll find on many records.
    Momin and rainbow1 like this.

Great lyrics!

“Downtown’s Dead” Lyrics

The city’s so in style, all you see for miles are people spilling in and out of cars
    Man I love these bars are making a killin
    everywhere I go looks like the place to be,
    I see people that I know and I feel like there’s no one here but me

Downtown’s dead without you
    Girls walk by and friends say hi, then Friday night it might as well be just another
    Tuesday night without you
    As long as you’re still in my head there ain’t a way that I can paint a ghost town red
    Downtown’s dead, downtown’s dead

Dancing in the strobes out here in the throws of loud house music
    Everything’s a blur
    I don’t hear the words but lips are moving
    try to get involved, but I’ve about had enough of people wall to the wall
    and I’m just holding it up cause

Girls walk by and friends say hi, then Friday night it might as well be just another
    As long as you’re still in my head there ain’t no way that I can paint a ghost town red

Free drinks, bright lights, what am I doing with my life?
    Okay, I quit.. I’ve had enough of this
    Cause people are losing their minds, can’t get you out of my head, I’m calling it a night
    I’m crawling back to your bed…

As long as you’re still in my head there ain’t a way that I can paint a ghost town red

Songwriters: Sam Hunt, Josh Osborne, Zach Crowell, and Shane McAnally.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Concert Stars
    Weak to say the least k

Sam Hunt Claims That ?Downtown?s Dead? Without His Love By His Side | Sounds Like Nashville

"Although the track fuses some of the modern tech sounds like that of Top 40 music, Hunt still keeps a bit to his country-meets-hip-hop element throughout the three-and-a-half-minute jam. Nevertheless, it still sounds as though “Downtown’s Dead” may light up the summer with its easygoing feel.

It’s been a long-awaited moment for fans of Hunt, as he last released new music more than 15 months ago with the send-off of “Body Like a Back Road.” The catchy hit shattered records in country music, as well as on the pop radio charts, all throughout 2017."
    txacar likes this.

Concert Stars
    Probably shouldn’t have posted this LOL he’s not well liked around here (huge fan here of course! And I love the song)
    simonplay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Audra View Post
    Probably shouldnít have posted this LOL heís not well liked around here (huge fan here of course! And I love the song)
    Oh don't really care, people will come leave their mean comments and leave, that's how this site works sometimes.

Would like people who like his music to come here and talk about it, even if we are 3 or 4 people. Lol
    txacar and Audra like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by simonplay View Post
    Oh don't really care, people will come leave their mean comments and leave, that's how this site works sometimes.

Would like people who like his music to come here and talk about it, even if we are 3 or 4 people. Lol
    Very true!! Lol
    there will be a music video for the song by the way!
    simonplay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Audra View Post
    Very true!! Lol
    there will be a music video for the song by the way!
    Awesome! Do you know when?
    He have great streaming numbers!

Downtown's Dead just moved up to #3 on itunes! Ahead of Christina Aguilera and Demi Lovato new duet.

DD at #2 itunes country.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by simonplay View Post
    Awesome! Do you know when?
    He have great streaming numbers!
    Iím not sure when, but I follow his band mates and a lot of his close friends and manager and stuff and lot of them were down in Mexico and I also had found the guy that posted about filming a music video in Mexico, so the pictures heís been posting around on Instagram all connect for the video. I would think it wonít be much longer to wait for the video since Iím sure they want to get it out as soon as possible.
    simonplay likes this.

Sam, though, may have a point in using that title. The tradition of giving musicians free platforms in Downtown bars is, apparently under threat. This article suggests that some bars are cashing in on the greater number of tourists flocking to Fan Fest by asking musicians to pay for a stage spot (Thanks to Brothers Osborne for publicizing opposition to this move)

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/ar...uring-cma-fest
    txacar likes this.

Downtown's Dead up to #2

DD up to #1 in itunes Country.
    txacar likes this.

Downtown's Dead debuted at #36 with 1242 spins and 9.472 million airplay.
    Audra likes this.

Grady Smith reaction!

https://youtu.be/xrIwVl9qv4c

I couldn't get access to the video that Simon first posted. This is a link that did work for me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9EhU8oVvRY

At first, I thought the concept of the song was intended to be a criticism of the Nashville club scene - and I thought that would be rather gratuitous, because it's a scene he's just not associated with (though it could make more sense for some of the co-writers). Now I've heard the song, I no longer think the title is meant to lead in that direction. The photo, and the reference to working in Mexico, suggest he has a general idea of entertainment districts anywhere.

My interpretation is that the narrator is torn between a settled relationship, and a previous life of going out drinking. He tries that again, but realizes that trying it alone seems empty now, and decides to go back to his lover at home.

I'm not a huge fan of the vocal - I found it rather repetitive, and lacking in more expressive highs and lows, veering a bit towards a monotone

The most interesting part of the song to me is the music, which is bold and experimental. The device of mixing in fainter background chanting, suggesting the bustle of a crowded street or bar, was interesting, but was handled too rhythmically and repetitively to be fully convincing to me. But I did enjoy the blend of electronic and acoustic elements, and strong percussion with effective use of guitar, and what I think was a dobro in places. As is the case with many contemporary songs destined for radio, I found the verse narration passages more interesting, both vocally and musically, than the chorus passages, which I find often tend to sound over-hammered and lacking in variety or character. There's a good example of what I like best in the music around 2.10.

All told, I found this a more interesting song, thematically and musically, than much of the material on commercial radio, and continuing to build on Hunt's reputation for pushing his work in experimental directions.

headlineplanet.com/home/2018/05/21/sam-hunts-downtowns-dead-earns-18-billboard-country-airplay-29-mediabase/

Sam Hunt’s new single “Downtown’s Dead” ranks as the top debut on this week’s Billboard Country Airplay and Mediabase country radio singles charts.

The single earns #18 on the former. In doing so, it becomes Hunt’s highest-charting debut on the listing.

“Downtown’s Dead” meanwhile begins at #29 on the Mediabase country radio singles chart.

HUNT RETURNS Speaking of Sam Hunt, he charts his first new single since “Body Like a Back Road” as “Downtown’s Dead” (MCA Nashville) arrives at No. 18 on Country Airplay with 13.1 million audience impressions in the week ending May 20.
    Hunt notches his highest debut on the chart, surpassing “Back Road,” which debuted at No. 21 (Feb. 18, 2017). He logs the highest arrival among all acts
    since Miranda Lambert’s “Vice” also vaulted in at No. 18 on Aug. 6, 2016. On Hot Country Songs, “Dead” starts at No. 24, also driven by 520,000
    U.S. streams and 10,000 sold

Bobby Bones interview! New song "Nothing Lasts Forever" coming in one month!

https://youtu.be/496_CAgTvDU
    Audra likes this.

Concert Stars
    Sam debuted his other new song heís going to be releasing in a few weeks, itís called Nothing Lasts Forever and itís a slower song and I loveeeeeeee it!

https://youtu.be/dPM8HWhGtyw
    simonplay likes this.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast