Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Sam Hunt - Downtown's Dead

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    There's an interesting interview in Taste of Country, which mentions that Sam has recently performed a set with a honky-tonk influence, that he likes Tyler Childers, and that he might include more Roots influence in some of his future songwriting (though he's not sure if some of his fans would like that)

Sam Hunt, Country Traditionalist? It's Burning Within Him
    rainbow1, simonplay and txacar like this.

Concert Stars
    Yeah I read an article earlier this morning that Sam Hunt wants to bring more country back? Okay then!
    DizzyDollyDee likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokyiiis View Post
    Yeah I read an article earlier this morning that Sam Hunt wants to bring more country back? Okay then!
    Ok, now this made me laugh!! I don't think he was ever really considered country -- ever since he started.
    Smokyiiis likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I think there are two issues - should his present work be considered Country? And should his suggested willingness to explore more Roots influence in future work be taken seriously?

I don't think either can be answered definitively - the first because people differ so widely on what musical styles they'd accept as Country; and the second because it's largely only a suggestion for the future, and we can't know if, or how, it might develop.

My own view is that I have little interest in either "style wars", or "fan wars." Country Music has always been a broad, and evolving field - and I'd rather it continued to be. Jimmie Rodgers used Black, and contemporary Music Hall influences - that didn't stop him being called the Father of Country Music. Woody Guthrie recorded Talking Blues (and the style goes back still further). There were times when Western Swing was considered an intrusive and off genre style. Both drums in Bluegrass, and Tex-Mex horns in Outlaw Music were opposed by some Purists. Nashville drove out Rockabilly - not because it was revolutionary, or Black influenced, but because they thought it was too traditional and "Hillbilly" sounding. The Nashville Sound was steeped in Pop sounding string surges and vocal choruses. One of the producers who created the Nashville Sound was asked what it was, and he jingled the money in his pocket, and said "that's the Nashville Sound!"

Any Country style - right back to unaccompanied Appalachian ballads - can still be heard, with young practitioners still coming forward, and enthusiastic fans. I'm all for that - it's one of the things that sets Country apart from most other genres. Someone recently published an article placing insurgent Outlaw, Sarah Shook, firmly in the tradition of Cowpunk bands like Lone Justice. Aubrie Sellers (Lee Ann's daughter) calls her sound "Garage Country". The point is, old and new exist together - and always have. I've no interest in seeing Country narrowly defined in terms of a particular style (especially as different people would have different ideas of where any lines should be drawn).

None of that is meant to deny that different artists and different styles can differ considerably in the amount of recognizable Country influences (in the plural) that they show in their stylistic mix - nor that there is not a serious and considerable problem in the narrow range and quality of music that Mainstream radio will play - but neither of those issues is Sam Hunt's fault, nor unique to him.

With Hunt, the main point for me is not how Country he is, or isn't, when measured against some arbitrary stylistic standard - but how interesting his version of Country is when measured against other material played in the Mainstream format that he pitches to. I'm not mad about him, and wouldn't consider myself very familiar with his work as a whole. But what I have heard suggests that he is quite often innovative, experimental and interesting in his music (even if sometimes less impressive in his lyrics.) "Take Your Time" is an example of a song I like (and which I do consider shows quite considerable progressive Country influence). I suppose the bottom line for me is that he seems significantly more interesting than several of the artists who make up the Mainstream airplay charts.

As for whether he might develop in a more Rootsy direction - who knows? Tyler Childers (whom he admires) is from Johnson County KY, and Sam is from Polk County GA - so both are likely to have been exposed to similar strands of musical influence in the melting pot of Southern tradition. But to a mainly Roots fan like myself, Tyler is a far more interesting figure, while to Mainstream and General Music fans, the same is likely to be true of Sam. And therein lies the rub. Mainstream radio is never likely to play Tyler - and if Sam wants to keep his career on that track, there are likely to be serious limits on how much of that stylistic influence he could show. But even if it amounted to a little, I'd be willing to give him a chance.
    Last edited by Farawayhills; 06-15-2018 at 07:31 PM.
    txacar, rainbow1 and Smokyiiis like this.

Concert Stars
    I’m good with it unless he continues to do all the talk instead of sing stuff. It is just not my “cup of tea” if you get my meaning.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    I’m good with it unless he continues to do all the talk instead of sing stuff. It is just not my “cup of tea” if you get my meaning.
    I don't think I could ever listen to a whole album of his. Not only the 'talk singing' (as the dynamic duo of Underwood/Paisley called it) but I don't think he has that pleasant of a singing voice.
    Smokyiiis likes this.

Official Lyric video!

https://youtu.be/-JYcj47rjNM
    Audra likes this.

Concert Stars
    he don’t talk every song....if you listen to all his music, not everything is the talk stuff that he does in some of his songs. It’s okah if you don’t like it, but he don’t do it in every song.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by simonplay View Post
    Official Lyric video!

https://youtu.be/-JYcj47rjNM
    i can’t wait for the official video!

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I'm not necessarily a big fan of Sam Hunt, but hey - Conway Twitty used to talk in his songs all the time, lol. Of course, Conway was typically talking more conversationally and not necessarily in a rhythm.
    rainbow1 likes this.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

The official video is out and well... it's a lot of a downtown dead... haha!

https://youtu.be/EBGsSRpl-W8

•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12