Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree265Likes

Thread: 2018 Grammy Discussion Thread

Concert Stars

2018 Grammy Discussion Thread

Grammy eligibility closes in 2 weeks, on 9/30. Obviously the only single Carrie can submit is Dirty Laundry, but can UMG submit a SONY song? Or does label bs matter at the Grammys? It is so confusing.

Keith could submit the live version of The Fighter from the CMT awards I think, as the studio version was submitted last year (and rejected) by the voters. Otherwise, I do not know of anything Carrie can submit this year sadly.

Anyway- if the rumored Q1 Album release is true-- or even if there is a Q2 release- perhaps Carrie will take part at the Grammys in some way even if not nominated, as a way to promote the new album. Other artists have performed without a nomination in the past, to launch albums-- but only if you are a huge star obviously. I think Carrie would be given that chance given her star power and stature, etc. But I hope she is nominated somehow for something.

Does anyone know if UMG can submit a SONY vocal performance of Ditty Laundry? Thanks. Surely this issue has come up with other artists that change labels, as it happens all the time. There must be some loophole.
    Last edited by maddkat; 11-30-2017 at 05:29 AM.
    txacar, rainbow1 and ethelu like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    As I understand it, any NARAS member can make submissions (and I know Carrie has been a member in the past and probably still is). The guidelines say "The academy makes no distinction between member entries and company entries - duplicate entries will be voided."

https://www.grammy.com/sites/com/fil...ence_guide.pdf

Insane Carrie Fan
    So far I think for...

Solo Performance

-"Tin Man"- Miranda Lambert
    -"Either Way"- Chris Stapleton
    -"Dirty Laundry"- Carrie Underwood
    -"In Case You Didn't Know"- Brett Young

Not sure about the last one.

Song

-"Tin Man"
    -"Broken Halos"
    -"Better Man"
    -"Drinkin' Problem"
    -"In Case You Didn't Know"

Album

-From A Room Vol. 1
    -The Weight of These Wings
    -God's Problem Child
    -The Breaker

Not sure about the last one.

Collaboration/Duo/Group

-"Better Man"- Little Big Town
    -"Speak to a Girl"- Tim McGraw and Faith Hill
    -"Craving You"- Thomas Rhett and Maren Morris
    -"Drinkin' Problem"- Midland
    -"My Old Man"- Zac Brown Band

What do you guys think?
    teesharky likes this.

The Breaker for sure deserves a nomination.

Insane Carrie Fan countrymusicfan15's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Ahhhh I would ecstatic if DL got a performance nomination!!
    txacar, teesharky, Suellen and 3 others like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    As I understand it, any NARAS member can make submissions (and I know Carrie has been a member in the past and probably still is). The guidelines say "The academy makes no distinction between member entries and company entries - duplicate entries will be voided."

https://www.grammy.com/sites/com/fil...ence_guide.pdf
    Thanks! That makes me happy!

Concert Stars
    ^ yes Chris Stapleton may sweep again. Broken Halo is brilliant. But I just want Carrie to get nominated.
    lolita55, rainbow1 and txacar like this.

Concert Stars
    RE: The General Categories, I am not yet ready to make my full predictions, but here are some artists I think will be in the Mix:

Keisha- Rainbow and Praying. I expect her to get a Song of the Year Nom for Pray as well as Pop Solo Performance. I hope she wins too.
    Bruno Mars: He will either get a Pop Album nom or even an Album of the year nom. Not sure about Song or Single but he is in the mix.
    Ed Sheeran: His album deserves a Pop Album nom for sure; in the mix for Album of the Year. I think his song
    Shape of You deserves Song/Record consideration, as well as Pop Solo Vocal.
    Katy Perry: Her album is kind of flopping, sadly, but her lead single was strong. I think Rhythm deserves a nom for Song of the year and Pop Solo. She is definitely in the Mix, but not for Album of the Year.
    Lady Gaga: Joann is eligible for Album and Pop Album, but I think her best chance is in The Cure for Pop Solo. Really good song. It could even break into Song/Record in all genre categories.
    ColdPlay: Their duet with the Chainsmokers was definitely the Hit of the Summer. I love that song and it not only sold well, but it should be well liked by critics too. I expect this to make Song or Record of the Year, as well as Pop Collab.
    Chris Stapleton: I think he has a real shot at the country slot for Album of the Year, as well as a nom for Song of the Year for Broken Halo-- in addition to all the country categories.

Other Potentials:

Harry Styles: Both his album and Lead single, The Sign, are very strong. I think he went in a completely different direction from the other 1D bandmates, and it is paying off for him in terms of industry credibility. I hope he breaks through for his first Grammy nom, even if he does not win.

Miley/Demi/Selena Gomez: All 3 have songs out and/or collabs, so either one might score a nom or two, but I don't really expect any of them to win.

Kelly Clarkson:
    Her lead single is decent, and her vocal is strong-- but I am not sure if it has enough for a nom. She might break through though.

Justin Bieber: Desposito was a HUGE song for him, so I think it might get in for Pop Collab. I actually love that song.

Pink: Grammys love her and her lead single is very strong. I think she could get a nom for Pop Solo.

New Artist: I honestly have no clue. It was a weak year for country newbies, as no one major broke through. I cannot think of one major new artist in all genre either that made a real impact except maybe Harry Styles or Shawn Mendes.
    countrymusicfan15 likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Paul Grein has published a few leaks from the ballot form - mainly to highlight the controversial fields the Grammy committees have placed recordings in.

These are the Country ones he mentioned:

Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit’s The Nashville Sound, placed in the Americana Album field, despite getting a nomination for AOTY at the CMA

Blackberry Smoke’s Like an Arrow, placed in the Rock Album field, despite being a number one on the Country album chart

Reba McEntire’s Sing It Now: Songs of Faith and Hope, placed in the Roots Gospel field, despite her never before having a major nomination outside the Country field

LeAnn RimesRemnants, placed in the Pop Vocal field, despite her never before having a major nomination outside the Country field (apart from her debut in the General field)

Those interested in his survey of other fields can read the article here:
    Rumor Mill - GREIN ON GRAMMYS: SURPRISES ON THE GRAMMY BALLOT
    rainbow1 and teesharky like this.

Concert Stars
    ^ Paul never even mentions Carrie ever. Granted she had a slow year but still. Even when a front runner he ignores her. I despise him. He doesn't even consider her "in the running"- and that is offensive.

Guys the Grammy submission lists leaked on pulse but no one posted Carrie’s. Can someone who is a member ask them to be posted?
    Last edited by teesharky; 10-21-2017 at 10:28 PM.

Carrie Underwood
    Dirty Laundry – ROY, (SOY), Country Solo, (Country Song), Video
    The Fighter – Video

These were her submissions apparently.

Insane Carrie Fan countrymusicfan15's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Wow I’m surprised they submitted it to the ROY and SOY, but that’s awesome! Hopefully a country solo nominations and win! Also, really hoping Kesha wins in her fields!!! Rainbow and Praying are amazing
    kelanob likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    ^ gotta shoot for the moon.No harm no foul submitting for everything :-)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    ^ Paul never even mentions Carrie ever. Granted she had a slow year but still. Even when a front runner he ignores her. I despise him. He doesn't even consider her "in the running"- and that is offensive.

Guys the Grammy submission lists leaked on pulse but no one posted Carrie’s. Can someone who is a member ask them to be posted?
    Those mentions were only for surprising submissions. Carrie didn't do anything surprising. But I heard he's not very accurate anyway in his predictions.
    teesharky and rainbow1 like this.

Carrie Guru
    I think Carrie will get a Grammy with keith Urban for "The Fighter", just like "I Told You So" with Randy Travis some years ago.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirasa45A View Post
    I think Carrie will get a Grammy with keith Urban for "The Fighter", just like "I Told You So" with Randy Travis some years ago.
    Didn’t they submit it last year? If so it can’t be nominated.

Huge Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirasa45A View Post
    I could see The Fighter being too polarizing to get a nomination, honestly, especially given the wider range of voters.
    Carrieslegs84 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by kelanob View Post
    Carrie Underwood
    Dirty Laundry – ROY, (SOY), Country Solo, (Country Song), Video
    The Fighter – Video

These were her submissions apparently.
    Thank you! These were the expected submissions but I am glad to see it's official.

I was worried that the label change would prevent her from getting any submissions this year. Obviously this is a SONY song etc.

Anyway- I don't expect her to win this year-- as I think Chris stapleton might win for Broken Halo. I think he will win country album too.

But I would LOVE to see her get nominated and perform to kick off the new album era.
    txacar and rainbow1 like this.

Concert Stars
    Recording Academy‏Verified account @RecordingAcad 11h11 hours ago

Are you ready for November 28? We're revealing #GRAMMYs nominations in days!

txacar, ethelu and rainbow1 like this.

Concert Stars
    So nervous. Thx s going to be a very tough year for Carrie to get nominated in as all she has is DL. It won’t surorise me if is passed over but I pray she sneaks in somehow. I think it will be all about Chris Stapleton and ML though.

Come on Carrie release new music soon. Lol
    txacar, ethelu, oldyfan and 1 others like this.

•  
    Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast