Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Like Tree265Likes

Thread: 2018 Grammy Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by adam1995 View Post
    I think within 6 months we'll be happy campers.
    I’ll be a happy camper by the end of next week. lol

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieslegs84 View Post
    How do you know that?Do you know something that we don’t or is it just a feeling that you have?Just asking.Not trying to start an argument!!
    *Sigh*

I just said I think, not that I know. I have absolutely, 100% no clue what's going on, I just think by the middle of 2018 we'll have new music, nothing other than my personal belief.
    maddkat, rainbow1, Suellen and 2 others like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Ps what on earth is a Childish Bambino
    and how the heck did it get Album of the year? Is it a children’s lullaby album? Wtf
    He's the guy that starred with Mel Gibson in Leathal Weapon, you know, Danny Glover.

J/k, but that's what I thought when I saw his real name was Donald Glover. He's an actor on some show called "Atlanta". I know he won an Emmy or Golden Globe or something for it.
    teesharky and rainbow1 like this.

Concert Stars
    ^ Thanks. I know who Donald Glover is of course. I know him as an actor not a rapper. I had no idea he was even a musician.
    rainbow1 likes this.

They've started announcing the Grammy performers. First batch announced: Pink, Lady Gaga, Childish Gambino, Little Big Town.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...rammys-w514954

^^ I'm excited about Pink. In my opinion she is very talented performer.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Huge Carrie Follower
    If Bruno Mars wins album of the year (which I think he will), will the remix of finesse with cardi b be eligible for record of the year for next year's grammies? Since it is a remix?

Tina Turner To Queen: 2018 Recording Academy Special Merit Awards

This year's Lifetime Achievement Award honorees are Hal Blaine, Neil Diamond, Emmylou Harris, Louis Jordan, the Meters, Queen, and Tina Turner. Bill Graham, Seymour Stein and John Williams will receive the Trustees Award. Tony Agnello and Richard Factor are the Technical GRAMMY Award recipients

https://www.grammy.com/grammys/news/...l-merit-awards
    txacar and rainbow1 like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    Very pleased for Emmylou!!
    Her biggest Grammy win, with the Nash Ramblers (her second major band), was "Live At the Ryman" - it's one of my lifetime top favourite albums. (It's available complete on You Tube)

I wonder if any of today's artists will perform something to honour it? This would be my pick (in fact, when my time comes, I'll ask for this to play at my funeral!)

"Oklahoma Wind" fans might like to know that that's Jon Randall singing harmonies to her left, and taking the guitar solo. Sam Bush, in the multi-coloured shirt is on mandolin to her right, Al Perkins on resophonic solo, Larry Atamanuik on drums, Mark Winchester on bass in that performance (though Roy Husky Jr played it on the album)
    txacar, rainbow1 and Claire2004 like this.

Concert Stars
    When my son and his wife went to the Rose Bowl, they walked by the Grammy Museum one evening. It was closed, but out front in the walkway was an image of a record, with the Grammy Trophy in the middle. It said , Best New Artist Carrie Underwood. The Dixie Chicks were on there too. I am so happy to have a picture of that now!!!
    liz278, hjj, txacar and 3 others like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    When my son and his wife went to the Rose Bowl, they walked by the Grammy Museum one evening. It was closed, but out front in the walkway was an image of a record, with the Grammy Trophy in the middle. It said , Best New Artist Carrie Underwood. The Dixie Chicks were on there too. I am so happy to have a picture of that now!!!
    That's awesome! So sweet of your son to take a picture of it for you!
    rainbow1 likes this.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

_luvqry and rainbow1 like this.

Maren Morris, Eric Church & Brothers Osborne to Perform Route 91 Tribute at Grammy Awards

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...ooting-tribute

Congratulations to Chris Stapleton and Mike Henderson (both former members of the SteelDrivers) for winning Best Country Song, with "Broken Halos"

rainbow1 and lizcarlo like this.

Apart from that, this year's Country field has been rather a disappointment to me, so I'll turn to the Roots fields. Jason Isbell pulled off the double of winning both Best American Roots Song, and Best Americana Album (though not emulating Rosanne Cash's recent treble, of adding Best American Roots Performance too)

"If We Were Vampires" is great device for a bitter sweet love song - celebrating the joys of being together, with the realization that it cannot be forever. A worthy winner, in my opinion

lizcarlo likes this.

Jason & the 400 Unit also won Americana Album for the ironically named "The Nashville Sound"

I think "White Man's World" is probably the other standout track - topical, in both highlighting the pressures which many see as trying to negate the growth of Civil Rights equality, and the controversies in Country Music over the treatment of female artists (and indeed, it seems well beyond Country Music - one breakdown I saw said that 90% of the Grammy nominations across the fields as a whole were to men)
    The performance video I'm posting is from the release party, and the quality is not very sharp visually, but I've chosen it because it includes Amanda's fiddle solo (not present in all versions of the 400, as she is combining being a new mother with her own solo career)

lizcarlo likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    What's this about Lourde getting ticked off she couldn't perform solo? That's what the Grammy's do. For all the times Carrie has performed, she has only sang twice by herself. Everything else has been a tribute or duet.
    rainbow1 and lizcarlo like this.

This year, American Roots Performance was won by a more traditional Blues song, by the Alabama Shakes, with "Killer Diller Blues" (originally recorded by Memphis Minnie, in the 1940s) The vocalist here is Brttany Howard

Unusually, the award voting for Best Bluegrass Album was tied - between The Infamous Stringdusters, and Rhonda Vincent and the Rage (who accordingly both won Grammys)

The Infamous Stringdusters are noted for their intricate, Progressive style, which shows how modern Bluegrass has evolved into many different forms. The album is called "Laws of Gravity", and this is the rather charming video shot for the near title track. (The lead vocalist is Travis Book)

Rhonda Vincent has won Female and Entertainer awards at the IBMA several times - one thing I remember is that she is one of relatively few artists who sometimes interacts with fans on an open message board. She and her band, the Rage, won for a live album, which is part of a double project, released in two stages. The album is “All the Rage — In Concert, Volume One”. It consists mainly of songs spread over her career - this is one of the tracks:

•  
    Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast