Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree265Likes

Thread: 2018 Grammy Discussion Thread

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1995 View Post
    You might think it's overrated because you aren't a fan of hers, but it was very cohesive and had a strong theme across both discs. By all accounts it should have been a nominee, really surprising.

I think the Grammy's tried to make up for the cries of racism they have had the last few years, by nominating more artists of color, and "urban" acts. Plus, Hip Hop and Rap have been a dominate genre across music the last year, so the nominations I think are reflecting that.
    Now they have a lack of women issue. Apart from new artist, there's not very many female nominees in the general fields.

Huge Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Bummer that Maren Morris seems to be taking over Carrie’s Grammy slots. Last year she beat her on Church Bells which I will never understand plus she got Carrie’s Country album slot when ST should have gotten in. Ugh

I hope Chris Stapleton sweeps everything. Broken Halo is brilliant.

My only consolation is that TayTay’s dreadful lead single got zero noms. It was dreadful and deserved to be shut out.
    Why is it another WOMAN taking Carrie's slot? Why not...oh, idk, SAM HUNT...

Your opinion is it's overrated, and that's fine. Mine is that it is not, and that's fine. But I'd bet you probably thought it would be nominated, right? Whether you like it or not, it almost seemed a lock.
    No. Why would I think that she would have to be nominated?

Concert Stars
    I hate that Dirty Laundry seems to be such an overlooked track. To me, it's one of Carrie's best songs ever. I so wish it had been the lead single so it would have received the attention it should have. I know it was performed on the CMAs and was a hit, but I expected it to blow up. I don't think it would have been that hard to get AC airplay.
    teesharky likes this.

Huge Carrie Follower

Bummer I had a feeling though. So y is not going to help her on DLabd UMG is doing nothing so far.
    Isn’t it kind of hard for UMG to push for Carrie when she only signed to the label in April?She also hasn’t released a single of hers that was just solely hers on the label yet,so isn’t it kind of hard for a label to push someone that hasn’t even released a song with the label yet?In my opinion,you really can’t fault UMG for not pushing Carrie when she hasn’t released a new single or an album with them yet.Until Carrie releases a single or a new album with UMG,there’s no point in pushing her until there’s something concrete that she releases from them.Sony’s too busy trying to push Maren & Miranda,so I think we all knew that them pushing a single from one of their former artists that used to be on their label was going to be an afterthought.
    ethelu likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by simonplay View Post
    No. Why would I think that she would have to be nominated?
    Because of her track record. Her last three albums were nominated. I'm not trying to pick a fight. It just seems shocking. Sorry if I implied anything you disliked. We clearly just have a different opinion here.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Bummer I had a feeling though. So y is not going to help her on DLabd UMG is doing nothing so far.
    DL is a Sony track. UMG has nothing to do with it. Carrie's got no track record with them, so what should they be doing for her?

I think that it's pretty unfair to criticize UMG especially since they haven't had anything to do yet, lol. Give them a freaking chance!

Because of her track record. Her last three albums were nominated. I'm not trying to pick a fight. It just seems shocking. Sorry if I implied anything you disliked. We clearly just have a different opinion here.
    You can't nominate a album just because the last 3 were nominated, It should not be like that.
    I don't see you as shoked because Carrie is not nominated for Solo Country Performance when she was nominated the last 3 years too.

I know we are not fighting, we are just discussing.
    teesharky likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    You can't nominate a album just because the last 3 were nominated, It should not be like that.
    I don't see you as shoked because Carrie is not nominated for Solo Country Performance when she was nominated the last 3 years too.

I know we are not fighting, we are just discussing.
    I'm not saying just because she was nominated for the last three albums this one automatically gets in, I was just saying that the Grammy voters have generally liked her bodies of work, so I'm surprised they didn't like this enough to nominate it, especially over Kenny and Thomas.

And DL was released before the eligibility period, despite most of its popularity after, and it didn't receive as much attention as her other songs. It definitely wasn't as strongly received in general as CB, so it didn't shock me.
    Carrieslegs84 likes this.

Junior Carrie Follower ChoctawCountyAffair's Avatar
    I'm not suprised DL wasn't nominated. It wasn't a big hit and it was released before the eligibility period.
    I can't believe Miranda's album didn't get nominated for country album. And Ed Sheeran's album wasn't nominated for AOTY?
    But i'm so happy that Taylor got 2 noms, i hope she wins at least one of them!
    Carrieslegs84 likes this.

DL was submitted for this year so it was elegible...

I'm not saying just because she was nominated for the last three albums this one automatically gets in, I was just saying that the Grammy voters have generally liked her bodies of work, so I'm surprised they didn't like this enough to nominate it, especially over Kenny and Thomas.

And DL was released before the eligibility period, despite most of its popularity after, and it didn't receive as much attention as her other songs. It definitely wasn't as strongly received in general as CB, so it didn't shock me.
    Well they will not like her albums for ever, IMO this is a snoozfest, all the songs sound the same and all the singles flopped, thats because Im not surprised it didn't win at the CMA's (even with WME pushing it) and not receiving a Grammy nom.
    I understand that you love the album and would like a nomination but I don't see it as a big thing.

Junior Carrie Follower ChoctawCountyAffair's Avatar
    DL was submitted for this year so it was elegible...
    Dirty Laundry was released Sept. 5th 2016, the eligibility period began Oct. 1st 2016. Maybe that's why it wasn't nominated.
    adam1995 likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    Love that Alison Krauss got a Country Solo nom btw. I think Alison and Chris are the frontrunners for this category (it better not be Sam Hunt lol)
    Alison's album, "Windy City", is a "covers" compilation, and her two performance nominations are both 1960s songs that reflect the General Music influences of the "Nashville Sound". Alison has two big advantages, in that she's long been the most awarded female artist in Grammy history, and that she virtually never turns in anything short of a first class performance, combining ethereal vocals with great expressive skills. I would add, though, that many of these nominations do show a voter preference for a strong General Music influence in Country (which I think reflects growing pressure since the early 2000s from the major record labels, after two high profile Grammy wins by off-Mainstream projects that were unpopular on Music Row) - in that context, I think Alison's choice of songs, with a classic genre-blurring feel may have helped too.

"Losing You" is a Brenda Lee cover, which strongly reflects producer Owen Bradley's success in establishing the modern "Nashville Sound", at the expense of Honky Tonk, Mountain Music, Bakersfield and other styles, more identified as core-Country. The songwriters of "Losing You" were more identified with General Music, and the original's most widely noted chart success was in Adult Contemporary. Put against many of the contemporary Mainstream's "genre-blurring" performances shows up how good it actually was - especially in the hands of a sympathetic interpreter. I think the general tone of the nominations does lean to the "Nashville Sound's" successors - though it is good to see some other Country styles getting nominations too.

Alison's other nomination, from the same album, is in Best Roots Performance, for the Willie Nelson cover "I Never Cared For You". This also reflects "Nashville Sound" influences, but was arguably more ambitious, and the original was only a big success in Texas. I think, though, that this is overall the better of her two performances, since the song is more musically intricate, with deeper lyrics, and places more demands on the vocalist.

(Incidentally, the '60s Willie Nelson song was revived by Waylon Jennings in the '90s, and now by Alison in the 20-teens. I like that thread of continuity!)
    rainbow1 and Smokyiiis like this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Well they will not like her albums for ever, IMO this is a snoozfest, all the songs sound the same and all the singles flopped, thats because Im not surprised it didn't win at the CMA's (even with WME pushing it) and not receiving a Grammy nom.
    I understand that you love the album and would like a nomination but I don't see it as a big thing.
    Well, I like the album, I don't love it, but I just thought it seemed like perfect Grammy bait, which is why I'm surprised. It isn't nominated, but it's not affecting me that much. I just think it makes the case Chris Stapleton that stronger in that category.

Insane Carrie Fan
    I'll make my predictions. They may or may not be final, so we'll see if I change them.

Best Country Solo Performance:

“Body Like A Back Road” — Sam Hunt
    “Losing You" –Alison Krauss
    “Tin Man” — Miranda Lambert
    “I Could Use A Love Song” — Maren Morris
    “Either Way” — Chris Stapleton

What I Want: "Either Way" or "Tin Man"
    What I Think: "Either Way"

Best Country Duo/Group Performance:

“It Ain’t My Fault” — Brothers Osborne
    “My Old Man” — Zac Brown Band
    “You Look Good” — Lady Antebellum
    “Better Man” — Little Big Town
    “Drinkin’ Problem” — Midland

What I Want: "Drinkin' Problem"
    What I Think: "Better Man"

Best Country Song:

“Better Man” — Taylor Swift, songwriter (Little Big Town)
    “Body Like A Back Road” — Zach Crowell, Sam Hunt, Shane McAnally & Josh Osborne, songwriters (Sam Hunt)
    “Broken Halos” — Mike Henderson & Chris Stapleton, songwriters (Chris Stapleton)
    “Drinkin’ Problem” — Jess Carson, Cameron Duddy, Shane McAnally, Josh Osborne & Mark Wystrach, songwriters (Midland)
    “Tin Man” — Jack Ingram, Miranda Lambert & Jon Randall, songwriters (Miranda Lambert)

What I Want: "Tin Man"
    What I Think: "Better Man"

Best Country Album:

Cosmic Hallelujah — Kenny Chesney
    Heart Break — Lady Antebellum
    The Breaker — Little Big Town
    Life Changes — Thomas Rhett
    From A Room: Volume 1 — Chris Stapleton

What I Want: From A Room: Volume 1
    What I Think: From A Room: Volume 1

Let me know what you think.

Concert Stars
    My wants:

Solo - Chris Stapleton "Either Way"
    Group - Midland "Drinkin' Problem" (any of them actually, only category that got it completely right IMO)
    Song - "Broken Halos," "Drinkin' Problem," or "Better Man"
    Album - "From A Room, Vol. 1" Chris Stapleton

Basically a Chris sweep would make me happy I guess. Lol
    Gator likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Countryfan2448 View Post
    The Grammy's are acting like The ACM's and CMA's with their voting.
    How so? ML is not nominated for COUNTRY album...

these nominations are crazy. I didn't expect Carrie to be nominated tbh. She needs to release something from UMG in order to get nominated.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by ChoctawCountyAffair View Post
    Dirty Laundry was released Sept. 5th 2016, the eligibility period began Oct. 1st 2016. Maybe that's why it wasn't nominated.

No that’s not how it works. DL was submitted and it was eligible. Her team did submit it per the leaked Grammy submission lists.

i believe the Grammys look at either when the single reached its highest peak on the charts or the release date. If I recall Cary explained that rule to us once.

•  
    Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast