Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Like Tree20Likes
  • 2 Post By Farawayhills
  • 3 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills
  • 2 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills
  • 2 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By txacar
  • 2 Post By Farawayhills

Thread: AMA awards 2017

AMA awards 2017

The AMA are holding their annual awards shindig at the Ryman, tomorrow (Sept 13th).

These are the nominees:

Album of the Year:
    American Band, Drive-By Truckers, Produced by David Barbe
    Close Ties, Rodney Crowell, Produced by Kim Buie and Jordan Lehning
    Freedom Highway, Rhiannon Giddens, Produced by Rhiannon Giddens and Dirk Powell
    The Navigator, Hurray for the Riff Raff, Produced by Paul Butler
    A Sailor’s Guide to Earth, Sturgill Simpson, Produced by Sturgill Simpson
    Artist of the Year:
    Jason Isbell
    John Prine
    Lori McKenna
    Margo Price
    Sturgill Simpson
    Duo/Group of the Year:
    Billy Bragg & Joe Henry
    Drive-By Truckers
    Marty Stuart & His Fabulous Superlatives
    The Lumineers
    Emerging Artist of the Year:
    Aaron Lee Tasjan
    Amanda Shires
    Brent Cobb
    Sam Outlaw
    Song of the Year:
    “All Around You,” Sturgill Simpson, Written by Sturgill Simpson
    “It Ain’t Over Yet,” Rodney Crowell (feat. Rosanne Cash & John Paul White), Written by Rodney Crowell
    “To Be Without You,” Ryan Adams, Written by Ryan Adams
    “Wreck You,” Lori McKenna, Written by Lori McKenna and Felix McTeigue
    Instrumentalist of the Year:
    Spencer Cullum, Jr.
    Jen Gunderman
    Courtney Hartman
    Charlie Sexton

The following have been confirmed as performers on the show (hosted, as ever, by Jim Lauderdale) :

Billy Bragg
    Brent Cobb
    Robert Cray & Hi Rhythm
    Rodney Crowell
    Iris DeMent
    Drive-By Truckers
    Rhiannon Giddens
    Joe Henry
    Hurray for the Riff Raff
    Jason Isbell
    The Lumineers
    Lori McKenna
    Van Morrison
    Graham Nash
    Old Crow Medicine Show
    Sam Outlaw
    Margo Price
    John Prine
    Amanda Shires
    Marty Stuart and His Fabulous Superlatives
    Aaron Lee Tasjan

A live on-line video stream of the show will be available from NPR (in the past, this has not been region-restricted). Live radio coverage is also available from Sirius's Outlaw Channel, WSM (the Opry station), WRLT & WMOT,
    rainbow1 and txacar like this.

Rodney Crowell wins Song of the Year for "It Ain't Over Yet". Rosanne Cash & John Paul White (good to see him after the break up of the late lamented Civil Wars) were featured artists on the album track and video). Reflective lyrics, on the passage of time and the abiding memory of a deep love - but I can't say I'm a huge fan of the semi-talk style of parts of the delivery

Rhiannon Giddens can own any stage she performs on. She's a rare example of an artist present tonight who's performed recently at showcase events for both wings of the genre.

Billy Bragg, probably England's best known singer of protest music, has an album out with Joe Henry, based on songs of railway travel across America. They sing John Hartford's elegy "Gentle on My Mind" as a tribute to the late Glen Campbell.

Another English artist. Graham Nash, wins the Americana Award for Free Speech
    txacar likes this.

The Drive-by Truckers are, by a long way, my favourite male band. There've been many changes of line-up (including Jason Isbell) over the years - but the two men in front, Patterson Hood and Mike Cooley, have always been the driving heart of the band. Their songs of small town characters and the "blessing and the curse" of Southern life, on a succession of strong albums, have often been among my personal enduring highlights. John Paul White introduces them, with a tribute to the Muscle Shoals area of Northern Alabama, where they originated.

They have always included political themes - but their present album is their most explicitly political yet - and has arguably led this wing of the genre's reaction to the present deeply divided political scene. I would caution anyone who might prefer to avoid the controversy, but this is the song they performed tonight:

txacar likes this.

Brandy Clark presents the Emerging Artist Award to Amanda Shires, a Lubbock, Texas, instrumentalist and singer/songwriter, who at 15 performed with the Playboys (as also did Carrie, at a Grammy tribute). Amanda is now married to Jason Isbell.

txacar likes this.

Marty Stuart (a long time Opry member, and husband of Connie Smith) and his Fabulous Superlatives win the Duo/Group award. Well deserved as he has performed with so many artists, both established and new, and worked hard to blend Roots and innovation in his music, spanning Traditional Country, Country Rock and Bluegrass
    txacar and Momin like this.

Raul Malo of the Mavericks, who presented the above award, also makes an appeal for hurricane and flood victims.
    txacar likes this.

Hurray For The Riff-Raff give another politically charged performance, from a Latino perspective.

Margo Price is also a performance highlight for me - she's supported by the McCrary Sisters, who are regulars at this show, (and who also supported Carrie on CCA)
    Momin and txacar like this.

Sturgill Simpson wins Album of the Year, for "A Sailor's Guide to Earth", the concept album he wrote for his baby son. (The album was also Grammy nominated, so it's win here was not unexpected)
    txacar likes this.

Jason and Amanda performed this song (If We Were Vampires). Have to hand it to this guy - he's a genius songwriter:

txacar likes this.

Veteran songwriter, and much loved figure on this wing, John Prine, wins Artist of the Year.

Charlie Sexton won Instrumentalist of the Year

The award trophies at this show are more unusual and imaginative than most - some are brightly coloured abstract paintings, others are plaques of musical instruments, also painted in bright colours
    txacar likes this.

The finale - an ensemble performance of "Tulsa Time", led by Jim Lauderdale & Emmylou, was a tribute to Don Williams.
    txacar likes this.

^Would love to have seen the Tulsa Time performance. Thanks for posting AMA results -- really enjoyed the videos.
    Farawayhills likes this.

The Tennessean have a picture gallery from the event, showing many of the performers, presenters and recipients, here:
    Americana Music Honors & Awards 2017

Thanks for the trivia, Faraway! I haven't really explored the Americana scene and have always wanted to. Don't know where to start from (although there's no "start" as such). Good to see a lot of familiar names here too.

I recently came across this on the Rolling Stones page:
    Inside the Americana Genre's Identity Crisis - Rolling Stone

I only read half of it but then stopped because I'm not too familiar with the history of the genre. But I was thinking of reading more about this.

"Americana" is actually a rather contentious term. I would prefer something like "Roots". And I could never accept surrendering the term "Country" to the radio and Music Row establishment. It's still been true that the majority of the music played under the "Americana" umbrella has actually been some form of Country Music - I would guess, at least 80% - leaning towards the more Progressive singer/songwriter styles. Many would like the proportion of other styles, drawing on other US traditions, to be increased. Rosanne Cash argues in that article for more Black Music styles - and it was notable that this year's show included more lifetime achievement awards to traditionally inspired Black rhythm musicians. I don't believe, on the whole, though that most artists performing modern Black "urban" styles would consider this a natural home - Black artists in the Americana format are usually inspired by Folk or Country Blues traditions.

Developing "Americana" as a genre in its own right began 15-20 years ago, inspired by the Alt Country and "No Depression" movements. (The magazine "No Depression" no longer exists as a print edition, though it continues on-line - it's closure as a magazine probably reflects a sense of "mission accomplished", in the sense that Americana has its own radio stations, chart, and association. It also has its own Grammy field - though this uses the less contentious term "American Roots"). The separate existence was advocated as a reaction to a virtual shut out on existing Country stations, and near total neglect by the Country trade associations.

I feel that some of the more Progressive Country scenes, such as Red Dirt and Texas Outlaw, keep the "Americana" label at arm's length and don't fully identify with it (though they are played on it). This may be because of their preferred identification with "Country" as an identity, and also because some believe that Americana has simply copied the Mainstream in the institutions it's set up, and in the influence it still gives to the recording industry.

Some artists still attempt to bridge the gulf, and perform music that could be fitted into both Mainstream and Roots traditions. For the most part, this approach has made little headway - but the three AOTY nominations at this year's CMA for Miranda Lambert, Chris Stapleton and Jason Isbell represent the biggest success of this approach in years. In terms of time, Miranda was the first to really succeed in this approach in this generation, and I tend to believe that her present album title, "The Weight of These Wings" (which was suggested by her father) reflects, in part, the difficulty of representing both styles. The increased recognition for the approach, seen in the AOTY nominations, is probably, in part, a reaction by the rank and file to the increased Pop influence favoured by the Mainstream record industry and radio stations - but Miranda, in particular, seems likely to pay the biggest commercial price - and may have to follow some of her idols into going fully Americana in the years to come.

Bluegrass have had their own associations, festivals and institutions for longer than Americana, have ridden the Traditional-Progressive divide more successfully, and have gone their own way without much rancour or back-biting. Americana may succeed in the same way, with its artists and audience jokingly referred to as Hippies, Hillbillies and Has-beens - but I remain a little reluctant to fully embrace the split. For me, the approach expressed by Jason Isbell "Country Music doesn't need saving - you can hear any style you want to being played in Nashville" (paraphrased) is closer to the way I feel.

•