• 4 Post By twaintrain
  • 4 Post By lizcarlo
  • 5 Post By CarWeedle
  • 2 Post By Carrieslegs84
  • 1 Post By rcramer

Thread: NPR's survey of the 150 best albums by women

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar

NPR's survey of the 150 best albums by women

This is an all-genre survey, of albums by women, since 1964. There are detailed explanations of the writers' choices - the emphasis being on albums considered to have had a significant impact on artistic and social development. The survey is spread over several pages, dealing with the albums in batches of ten at a time. Whatever your interest - Pop, Rock, Folk, etc, it seems likely to give some worthwhile reads (and, of course, the points of controversy and personal opinion inevitable in lists of this type)

Turning The Tables: The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women : NPR

As my interest is Country (which is well represented through the list), I'll give a brief summary of that genre, for anyone who doesn't have time to comb the whole survey. No Country artist makes the top ten (although both Janis Joplin and Beyoncé do show some Country influence from their Texas roots - and Janis, in fact, included one outright Country song on Pearl).
    Two Country artists make the top 20 - Dolly Parton at no 11, with "Coat of Many Colours", and Lucinda Williams at 18 with "Car Wheels On A Gravel Road"

Taking the rest of the list as whole, these are the artists with significant links to the Country genre (some Mainstream, but more often Alt Country - as you might expect from NPR, one of that wing's most stalwart supporters):
    Patty Griffin, Iris DeMent, Norah Jones, Shelby Lynne, Reba McEntire, Miranda Lambert, Taylor Swift, Sheryl Crow, Alison Krauss And Union Station, Shania Twain, k. d. lang, Bobbie Gentry, Tammy Wynette, Rosanne Cash, Dixie Chicks, Linda Ronstadt, Emmylou Harris, Gillian Welch, Loretta Lynn.

Generally, the writers have limited artists to one album each - and in some cases this does lead to career landmark choices that might be expected to command widespread agreement (Emmylou's "Wrecking Ball", Gillian Welch's "Time, the Revelator", Loretta Lynn's "Coalminer's Daughter", for instance). In other cases, the choice of album seems more likely to prove questionable in the artist's career arc. For example, I would not regard the Dixie Chicks' "Wide Open Spaces", or Miranda Lambert's "Platinum" as those artists' best offerings - but that is the nature of lists like this.

Concert Stars
    Naturally they snubbed Carrie as usual. Totally hate the snotty industry sometimes. So sick of her being treated like dirt despite putting out outstanding albums.
    Carrieslegs84, lizcarlo and sd20 like this.

Concert Stars
    All those lists seem to be trying to say "I'm cooler than you because I listen to music you've never heard of." Same with Rolling Stone, except they are far worse. I will say it was nice that they at least had more than the one or two token Country artists on the list. I have never agreed with one of these lists and most likely never will. I prefer more mainstream music, I guess. And much prefer "sweat tea" to "lemonade." Lol
    maddkat, rainbow1, Suellen and 1 others like this.

Huge Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by twaintrain View Post
    All those lists seem to be trying to say "I'm cooler than you because I listen to music you've never heard of." Same with Rolling Stone, except they are far worse. I will say it was nice that they at least had more than the one or two token Country artists on the list. I have never agreed with one of these lists and most likely never will. I prefer more mainstream music, I guess. And much prefer "sweat tea" to "lemonade." Lol
    "Never heard of" aka music fans who listen to more than just radio.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by prettylittlemustang View Post
    "Never heard of" aka music fans who listen to more than just radio.
    No need to judge anyone for their musical preferences whether it be mainstream or something more niche.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Storyteller is great and would deserve to be on lists. These lists are always changing.

New Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Naturally they snubbed Carrie as usual. Totally hate the snotty industry sometimes. So sick of her being treated like dirt despite putting out outstanding albums.
    I agree with this. It's really a shame, the current status of the music industry, snubbing real talent and glorifying autotunes.

Obsessed Carrie Fan

Quote Originally Posted by CarWeedle View Post
    I agree with this. It's really a shame, the current status of the music industry, snubbing real talent and glorifying autotunes.
    At least Carries songs tell stories & doesn't have to sing about sex every 5 seconds just to get a record sold!!Come on,people!!there is so much more to life than having to sing a song about sex that hasn't been done so many times that it's like rehashing an old argument with a person just to see if it turns out differently only to realize that the same person won the argument & nothing ever got accomplished!!It just gets stale and old and loses its appeal really fast.I have just basically stopped listening to pop music because it's the same kind of song being sung by a different artist every 5 minutes about the same topic:sex.Carrie could sing literal circles around most of these people & hit notes that they will NEVER be able to hit in their entire careers & they would still ignore her because they think country music sucks.This auto tuned crap just makes no sense to me & why it appeals to people is beyond me!!Carrie's talent and vocal abilities are so rare & so mind blowing,that people STILL choose to listen to music that is empty and devoid of any meaning whatsoever instead of listening to music that has meaning & depth to it that makes you think instead of cringe every time you listen to it!!
    sd20 and lolita55 like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Whatever.........
    lolita55 likes this.

•