Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By carriefan14

Thread: Katy Perry - Witness Album

Obsessed Carrie Fan carriefan14's Avatar

Katy Perry - Witness Album

Katy Perry Scores Third No. 1 Album on Billboard 200 Chart With ?Witness? | Billboard

Congratulations, Katy! However, on a side note - look at the state of album sales today you guys! 180,000 for a major artist like Katy Perry...I know I'm going to cringe as well when Carrie releases album #6.
    lolita55 likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by carriefan14 View Post
    Katy Perry Scores Third No. 1 Album on Billboard 200 Chart With ?Witness? | Billboard

Congratulations, Katy! However, on a side note - look at the state of album sales today you guys! 180,000 for a major artist like Katy Perry...I know I'm going to cringe as well when Carrie releases album #6.
    Honestly the day where pure album sales are a thing of the past will be sooner rather than later. I wouldn't be surprised if artist started releasing 6 song cds every 18 months in the near future.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Katy's last album (Prism) opened with 286,000 sold in 2013 (I"m assuming that was straight sales), which was her best debut week to date at that time. Witness opened with 162,000 pure sales (180k SPS). So, a drop of over 100,000 almost 4 years after her last album. I think part of this is due to streaming and I think part of it could be due to Katy having a different image/sound this time around. I'm sure the majority of the drop is due to streaming, but she is definitely coming at her music from a different direction now and I don't think her latest singles are as catchy as her previous material. I mean, Roar was the lead single for Prism, which is now certified Diamond in the US and Chained to the Rhythm is so far certified Platinum, which is great, but it will never be at the level of Roar.

Storyteller sold 164,000 in pure sales (177k SPS). Unless Carrie comes out guns blazing with a smash hit, I think we could unfortunately see her drop below 100,000. Although I don't want to compare Carrie to Katy Perry completely - Katy's best sales week is 286,000 and Carrie has sold more than that for her first three albums. I guess the difference is that Carrie's opening weeks declined after Carnival Ride, whereas Katy's have increased up until Witness, which was her first album affected by the SPS.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I always thought Katy was more a single seller vs. Album seller? Yeah I hope Carrie lead single is great and hope she is able to sell at least 150,000 or more aND have legs. Might as well wish positively.

Huge Carrie Follower carriethequeen's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    As a big Katy fan, I'm disappointed with Witness. It has it's moments of greatness (the lead single Chained to the Rhythm is my favorite song from the album), but overall it is lacking the big, catchy choruses and hooks Katy is known for.

•