Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Shania Twain "Now" Era

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    But Reba has had chart runs all the way until present such as Back To God, so she always stayed in the limelight so to speak....... May not have had a number#1 but has been on the charts with her music

So she always had a song that was present, where the rest of those ladies have not.... And after all she was the Queen of Country music for many many years until that passed on to Carrie.........
    Kizmet311 likes this.

Concert Stars
    I absolutely love "Life's About To Get Good," but not only is Shania a woman, she's over 50. That means she is toxic to country radio. If radio doesn't play her, then her songs will not be heard by millions and will not sell. I think her album will have a strong start but without radio behind her I worry it may not have a long shelf life.

If you read her book, the things she's been through, it's pretty much a miracle she's back at all. She is one extremely strong lady who deserves nothing but the utmost respect.
    Josh likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by twaintrain View Post
    I absolutely love "Life's About To Get Good," but not only is Shania a woman, she's over 50. That means she is toxic to country radio. If radio doesn't play her, then her songs will not be heard by millions and will not sell. I think her album will have a strong start but without radio behind her I worry it may not have a long shelf life.

If you read her book, the things she's been through, it's pretty much a miracle she's back at all. She is one extremely strong lady who deserves nothing but the utmost respect.
    No doubt she deserves respect and I probably would have crumbled after all that she's been through. I apologize if my tone on anything was disrespectful. Just discussing the nature of the beast that is the country music industry and how hard it is to come back from a long hiatus, especially as you said being a woman and over 50. Even for Garth, being a male, I think he was just gone too long for anyone to care that much about the new music, although he has gotten some radio airplay. Of course, I personally think that his new music sucks, lol. I can take or leave Shania's new song, but I did enjoy the video and I'm glad to see her making music again if it makes her happy.

Also, to the poster up above, you are correct about Reba and my previous statements didn't really take that into consideration. While she may not be hitting #1 all the time like she used to, she has at least still been present at radio and has never really disappeared for a long time like Shania and Faith.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    No doubt she deserves respect and I probably would have crumbled after all that she's been through. I apologize if my tone on anything was disrespectful. Just discussing the nature of the beast that is the country music industry and how hard it is to come back from a long hiatus, especially as you said being a woman and over 50. Even for Garth, being a male, I think he was just gone too long for anyone to care that much about the new music, although he has gotten some radio airplay. Of course, I personally think that his new music sucks, lol. I can take or leave Shania's new song, but I did enjoy the video and I'm glad to see her making music again if it makes her happy.

Also, to the poster up above, you are correct about Reba and my previous statements didn't really take that into consideration. While she may not be hitting #1 all the time like she used to, she has at least still been present at radio and has never really disappeared for a long time like Shania and Faith.
    I am sorry if that came off as defensive. I was just speaking in a general sense, not replying to anyone in particular. If anything, it was pointed at country radio and the industry in general. They have never treated Shania right and I don't expect them to now.
    Russ Wood and Mirasa45A like this.

Concert Stars
    I think the writing spark comes from her but the production value came from Mutt. I think its obvious in the tracks I have heard. And she admits it herself.

I still think she can really write. She may need to find better producers who understand her better. Poor Me is just not good. I do like the up tempo one.

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by twaintrain View Post
    I am sorry if that came off as defensive. I was just speaking in a general sense, not replying to anyone in particular. If anything, it was pointed at country radio and the industry in general. They have never treated Shania right and I don't expect them to now.
    Years ago, I saw Shania Twain in Las Vegas and in Los Angeles -- I must say that she was GREAT !
    twaintrain likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    "Poor Me" was co-produced by Jake Gosling, an English producer, who's steered considerable chart success over here. He's best known recently for work with Ed Sheeran - which strikes me as a possible strand of influence for the "folk rock" style she seems to be aiming for there.

I didn't know that. I do like "Poor Me". It has some strangely different element to it. Might be Jake Gosling's production.

Concert Stars
    2018 NOW Tour dates:

May 3, 2018 – Tacoma Dome in Tacoma, WA

May 5, 2018 – Rogers Arena in Vancouver, BC
    May 6, 2018 – Rogers Arena in Vancouver, BC
    May 9, 2018 – Rogers Place in Edmonton, AB
    May 10, 2018 – Rogers Place in Edmonton, AB
    May 12, 2018 – Sasktel Centre in Saskatoon, SK
    May 13, 2018 - MTS Centre in Winnipeg, MB
    May 15, 2018 – Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, MN
    May 16, 2018 – Denny Sanford Premier Center in Sioux Falls, SD
    May 18, 2018 – CenturyLink Center Omaha in Omaha, NE
    May 19, 2018 – United Center in Chicago, IL
    June 1, 2018 – BB&T Center in Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    June 2, 2018 – Amalie Arena in Tampa, FL
    June 4, 2018 – Infinite Energy Center in Duluth, GA
    June 6, 2018 – American Airlines Center in Dallas, TX
    June 7, 2018 – Frank Erwin Center in Austin, TX
    June 9, 2018 – Toyota Center in Houston, TX
    June 10, 2018 – Smoothie King Center in New Orleans, LA
    June 12, 2018 – Verizon Arena in North Little Rock, AR
    June 13, 2018 – Scottrade Center in St. Louis, MO
    June 15, 2018 – Little Caesars Arena in Detroit, MI
    June 16, 2018 – Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, OH
    June 25, 2018 – Canadian Tire Centre in Ottawa, ON
    June 26, 2018 – Bell Centre in Monrιal, QC
    June 28, 2018 – Videotron Centre in Hamilton, ON
    July 1, 2018 – FirstOntario Centre in Hamilton, ON
    July 3, 2018 – Budweiser Gardens in London, ON
    July 4, 2018 – Budweiser Gardens in London, ON
    July 6, 2018 – Air Canada Centre in Toronto, ON
    July 7, 2018 – Air Canada Centre in Toronto, ON
    July 11, 2018 – TD Garden in Boston, MA
    July 12, 2018 – Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, PA
    July 14, 2018 – Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY
    July 15, 2018 – Capital One Center in Washington, D.C.
    July 17, 2018 – PPG Paints Arena in Pittsburgh, PA
    July 18, 2018 – Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids, MI
    July 20, 2018 – KFC Yum! Center in Louisville, KY
    July 21, 2018 – TBD in Nashville, TN
    July 24, 2018 – Sprint Center in Kansas City, MO
    July 25, 2018 – Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, IA
    July 27, 2018 – Pepsi Center in Denver, CO
    July 28, 2018 – Vivint Smart Home Arena in Salt Lake City, UT
    July 30, 2018 – Talking Stick Resort Arena in Phoenix, AZ
    Aug. 1, 2018 – Save Mart Center in Fresno, CA
    Aug. 3, 2018 – Staples Center in Los Angeles, CA
    Aug. 4, 2018 – MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, NV
    lolita55 and Kizmet311 like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I’ve just got my tickets for Shania’s UK tour. Five rows back. I’m looking forward the album release on Friday. Welcome back Shania! ❤️
    Suellen, txacar and twaintrain like this.

Huge Carrie Follower CarrieUDomination's Avatar
    I'm loving the new album!!! She didn't lie when she said it was very different from anything she'd done before. It sure is, but you can't really expect any less considering the last time she really did anything was 2002, lol.

My favorites as of now are:
    Home Now
    Who's Gonna Be Your Girl?
    Let's Kiss and Make Up (LOVE this one)
    We Got Something They Don't

Of course I also love Life's About to Get Good and Swingin'.

I also really enjoy Light of My Life, I'm Alright, and Where Do You Think You're Going.

I like More Fun to an extent, but that chorus just hits and it becomes a mess. Because of You is a really sweet song, but something about it just can't keep me very interested, same with Soldier and You Can't Buy Love.

I do NOT like Poor Me or All in All. Poor Me is annoying to me and All in All is very boring. I don't necessarily like Roll Me on the River, but I don't hate it either. It's just kind of there. It seems to be everyone's favorite, and I just don't get it.

Overall, I think it was worth the 15-year wait. It's definitely different, but I'm still really enjoying it and hope she has a lot of success!
    twaintrain likes this.

Concert Stars
    I am just now getting a chance to listen to the album. They're doing some strange stuff with the Nashville show. Tickets don't go on sale until an unspecified date in December and it's through the Verified Fan Program so I'll get a code by text before the presale. But in order to get into Group 1 (1 hour before Group 2) for the presale I had to order her album (I got the deluxe) and didn't arrive until today. I had already downloaded the original version from a previous package I had to buy originally for a presale that never happened. I don't know, I'm confused.

Upon the first couple of listens, my favorites aside from the singles are"Light Of My Life," "We've Got Something They Don't" and "Who's Gonna Be Your Girl".

I know her voice isn't what it used to be but, I will tell you, I am enjoying the deeper, sultry voice. It reminds me of the ballads on "The Woman In Me".

It's going to a while to wrap my head around the album I've been waiting on for 15 years. I have a feeling I'm going to like it more with every listen.

Concert Stars

Concert Stars

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    (If any Shania fans are not keen on other artist covers, please skip this, with my apologies)

But I thought some might be interested to know that Miranda Lambert, Brandy Clark, and Gwen Sebastian are performing a version of "No One Needs to Know" on their Canadian tour dates (duets, trios, or full ensembles with friends are often a popular extra feature of Miranda's tours, with the guests often taking the major part - but i think this may be the first time she's chosen to feature a Shania song). If anyone would like to see it, this is a link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQVyPH77Axs
    rainbow1 likes this.

She actually covered "Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under?" with Dierks Bentley as well (although this wasn't her own tour). I can see why she would choose these particular songs to sing especially "No One Needs to Know" for its back-porch, laid-back feel. Both songs are from Shania's 'The Woman in Me' and are amongst her more country leaning singles.

As far as Miranda's new tour is concerned, I was not surprised to see the supporting acts she had. Clearly, she's going in a certain direction with her career and I love it. She also seems to be perpetually on tour. I think she has been constantly touring (with perhaps a few small breaks) since her Platinum era (or even earlier?). I don't remember the last time she was not on tour. It echoes with her theme of traveling and being on the road (she says "like Willie did, on the road again" in "Highway Vagabond") on TWOTW. Interestingly, and on the contrary, it also reminds me of her song "Well-Rested" where she says, "And a heart can't be tested/ If it ain't well-rested". Literally and metaphorically.
    lolita55 likes this.

Concert Stars
    So happy NOW debuted at #1 on the Billboard Top 200!

Concert Stars
    That's great!! Congrats to Shania and her fans! I am glad people are hearing her music and are receptive to it. Even if radio is not!
    twaintrain likes this.

Concert Stars
    My hope is that they release "Who's Gonna Be Your Girl" to country radio. I think it is the strongest 'country' song on the album and could lead the way for, maybe "We Got Something They Don't," my favorite at the moment. I could see WGSTD being big on AC.

And I know this sounds crazy, but I think "Let's Kiss and Make Up" could be a pop hit. It is just so "now" sound wise. I could see Justin Bieber recording it and it being #1. I know I probably have a better shot at winning a Nobel Prize than someone over 50 being played on Top 40 radio, but I think it's a great song.
    Last edited by twaintrain; 10-18-2017 at 02:46 PM.
    pklongbeach likes this.

"Swingin" actually sounds really nice. Has a sound of a band from the past I can't recall. ABBA maybe? I'm not old enough to know this one, but my mother used to play something that had this sound.

•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast