Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: 2017 Billboard Music Awards

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    I heard on our local news this morning that Blake Sheldon and Vince Gill will be representing Oklahoma at the Billboard Awards!!?? I just don't get it.
    lizcarlo likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by bluetb4 View Post
    I heard on our local news this morning that Blake Sheldon and Vince Gill will be representing Oklahoma at the Billboard Awards!!?? I just don't get it.
    Blake Shelton is only as popular as he is because of the voice. I'm not saying that he isn't talented, but the voice has definitely inflated his profile, and not in a good way.
    DazzledByCarrie likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by bluetb4 View Post
    Maybe Carrie didn't want to commit to do the show since she's hoping that Mike and the Preds will going deep into the playoffs.

The ideal combo representing Oklahoma would be Carrie with VG.

Concert Stars
    Unless Keith was going to be there, she has nothing to promote. Don't see her leaving Isaiah to just attend an awards show.
    Kizmet311 likes this.

I would normally hesitate to get into this, as I don't really follow performance statistics, or how they should be interpreted - but the nomination is presumably based by Billboard on the tour's financial success. The information they provide suggests that the Dixie Chicks had the second highest grossing tour of 2016.

These are the relevant paragraphs:

"Dixie Chicks follow at No. 2 on the Hot Tours recap based on $19.4 million in box office revenue from 24 of the final 2016 concerts on the DCX MMXVI World Tour, reported during the past week by concert promoter Live Nation. Although the country trio is set to resume the tour next spring in Australia, this year’s trek through Europe and North America wrapped on Oct 10.

Overall sales surpass the $50 million mark worldwide based on concerts reported to Billboard Boxscore in 2016. The top box office counts came from one of the tour’s multiple-show engagements in North America, a two-night stint at Toronto’s Molson Canadian Amphitheatre on June 21 and 22. With just over $2 million in sales, the shows were attended by a total of 30,477 fans. Nashville’s Bridgestone Arena logged the highest gross among the single-show dates with a $1.5 take on Aug. 17."

I've honestly no idea how that compares with Carrie's figures - some might know the details. The top ten grossing tours are listed in the full Billboard article, here:

5 Seconds of Summer's World Tour Finishes On Top | Billboard

Concert Stars
    ^Those numbers don't make any sense. They used an entire year for 5SOS and 3 months for the Chicks and some only had one concert date. I would think they would use the same time frame for all the nominees for the awards.

sco
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    I would normally hesitate to get into this, as I don't really follow performance statistics, or how they should be interpreted - but the nomination is presumably based by Billboard on the tour's financial success.
    Billboard just crunches numbers the awards aren't subjective. I read one article that said the timeframe they used was March 2016 - March 2017. The numbers are obviously affected by whether the tours' schedule matched up with that timeframe. In Carrie's case she didn't tour in the summer and the tour wrapped in December so 6 months of that time frame didn't count. Pollstar quoted stats for calendar year 2016 and she came out ahead of Dixie Chicks. The only thing I don't understand about the nominations is why there were only 3 I was assuming they would have 5. I'm personally not going to lose sleep over it.

I did notice some people online accusing Billboard of sexism because the country categories were overwhelming male. That is of course not fair as they are just the messenger. The country industry deserves plenty of criticism for their blatant sexism not Billboard.
    DazzledByCarrie and Kizmet311 like this.

•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12