Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Like Tree571Likes

Thread: Taylor Swift's 6th album era

Junior Carrie Follower
    I am shocked. And not in a good way. This single is.. different. I pray that she actually doesn't mean that the old Taylor is dead.... She was basically the artist who helped superglue me to country right after Carrie Underwood all the way back in 06.
    Carrieslegs84 and teesharky like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    ^^ Was Taylor really a country singer?? The only two songs that I felt a true country vibe from was Tim McGraw and Tear Drops on My Guitar.......
    DizzyDollyDee and teesharky like this.

Concert Stars
    I was shocked when I heard the new song but halfway expected it too. She has been embroiled in so much drama, and labeled as the bad guy, that I could understand her putting this out. I know nothing about what really happened in all of this, but if she feels she's innocent on most accounts, it could drive someone (figuratively) crazy if she thinks everyone is turning on her. However, at some point she has to realize she brings it on herself, at least in part - but maybe that's another song.

As for the actual song, I liked it up to the repeated "look what you made me do." I'm not big on today's over baked, synthesized, EDM sound. But it took repeated listens for me to like "Shake It Off". Hopefully, there is more variety on the album though.
    Kizmet311 and Carrieslegs84 like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I listened to the song again this morning, so only the second time I've listened. I like the first verse and pre-chorus pretty well (for a dance song, that is), the chorus (LWYMMD) gets ALL OVER my nerves, I get slightly annoyed by the "world moves on, drama, drama" part, and the bridge I haven't decided yet. On all of these, I am speaking to the tune/melody/beat of the song, not the lyrics. I can definitely hear this song being played in clubs to dance to, but I genuinely liked her 1989 album with the exception of a song or two and I'm just not sure I can get on board with this new sound if there really, truly is none of the "old Taylor" on this album.

While I have commented on her marketing skills, especially when it comes to turning the tables on a controversy or feud, to me this song just goes a million steps backwards. Shake It Off and Blank Space had an element of humor to them and were light-hearted, almost making fun of herself and they were catchy, fun songs. LWYMMD is just too dark, tries to hard, and she is taking herself WAY too seriously over spats with other celebrities who in all reality have nearly perfect lives and have nothing to get upset over other than petty feuds with each other. The sad thing to me is that this isn't a teenager or even someone in her early 20s - she is almost 28 freaking years old! I don't even mind her doing dance songs really, I like "This is What You Came For" that she wrote and the 50 Shades song "I Don't Wanna Live Forever", but this is trying to be too edgy.

Anyway, while I still have to give her credit for her business savvy, I would rather have heard a breakup song about Calvin than this.

Oh and please excuse me sharing that link on Twitter if you follow me there, lol. Since the jury is still out on whether or not I will like the rest of the album, I figured I may as well go ahead and do the Ticketmaster Verified Fan thing, although it's highly unlikely I will go see her on tour. I remember the tickets for the 1989 tour cost more than I wanted to pay to see Taylor, so it's unlikely I'll spend whatever she's going to ask for this time.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    [QUOTE=twaintrain;4744820]I was shocked when I heard the new song but halfway expected it too. She has been embroiled in so much drama, and labeled as the bad guy, that I could understand her putting this out. I know nothing about what really happened in all of this, but if she feels she's innocent on most accounts, it could drive someone (figuratively) crazy if she thinks everyone is turning on her. However, at some point she has to realize she brings it on herself, at least in part - but maybe that's another song.

I totally agree, and I think that people have to remember that Katy Perry only called her out on her **** and confirmed everything after Bad Blood, so technically she brought that on herself.

As for the whole Kanye situation, while I am not a fan of either him or Kim, it was refreshing to see that he was telling the truth and I'm glad that Kim made sure that she had her husband's back by recording it. Taylor should have just admitted the truth, but she didn't and now she comes out with this.

I just don't understand her, and I really wonder if she is capable of taking responsibility for her actions.

I certainly couldn't claim to be any kind of enthusiast for Pop Music in general - but, for what it's worth, my initial reaction would be that if you're going to use the genre, try to ring the changes, and work an arrangement that is out of the ordinary or expected groove for the format. I like this arrangement, because of the sonic changes that crop up frequently, and help greatly, in my opinion, to compensate for what could otherwise become an overly repetitive track. The song's credited to Taylor Swift, Jack Antonoff, Richard Fairbrass, Fred Fairbrass and Rob Manzoli (and, if that seems a bus-load of writers, it's actually light for many Pop/Dance numbers). It seems likely that Jack Antonoff would have played a major part in that sonically varied arrangement.

Commenting on Taylor's vocal delivery is more difficult for anyone not used to it - the LA Times critic argues that "she wards off any cumulative repetitiveness by shaking up the way she enunciates it each succeeding time" - but I think that might be more apparent on detailed repeat listens, or to fans already familiar with her style. Coming to the song fresh and uninvested, I would say that it is largely the music that lifts this out of the ordinary.

A similar point might apply to the lyrics - if someone knows the environment in which Taylor and her friends and rivals operate, it's probably tempting and intriguing to make connections with past and current incidents and guess the meaning - she obviously trades heavily on that assumption, and both fans and critics, in large part, enjoy making those connections. But if you don't have an interest in that background, the lyric has to stand by itself - and I think, there, the repetitiveness becomes more noticeable (and the song's longevity, and possible attraction for people who've followed her from other contexts, become more questionable.)

For me the most intriguing part of the lyric was:
    "I don't like your kingdom keys. They once belonged to me. You asked me for a place to sleep. Locked me out and threw a feast"
    It's tempting to me to read into that a possible echo of Taylor's view of her relationship with the Country genre - but in that, I'm probably falling into the Taylor guessing game trap, and supplying my own thoughts to overlay hers.
    At the very least, though, the verbal impact of that stanza is memorable - and betrays, for me, a vulnerability in the writer's self image. That vulnerability occurs at other points in the song, overlaid by bravado , and a desire to rise from the ashes of whatever she sees as destroyed.

It's a song largely outside my fields of choice, and not one I'm likely to continue listening to (in contrast to a couple on "Red", where I found the Alt Country and Rock influences stronger). But for all that, I'm not prepared to dismiss it as a mis-step, or a bad song. It's individual, a talking point, and sonically interesting - and those are qualities I wouldn't lightly disregard.
    Josh likes this.

Junior Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    I listened to the song again this morning, so only the second time I've listened. I like the first verse and pre-chorus pretty well (for a dance song, that is), the chorus (LWYMMD) gets ALL OVER my nerves, I get slightly annoyed by the "world moves on, drama, drama" part, and the bridge I haven't decided yet. On all of these, I am speaking to the tune/melody/beat of the song, not the lyrics. I can definitely hear this song being played in clubs to dance to, but I genuinely liked her 1989 album with the exception of a song or two and I'm just not sure I can get on board with this new sound if there really, truly is none of the "old Taylor" on this album.

While I have commented on her marketing skills, especially when it comes to turning the tables on a controversy or feud, to me this song just goes a million steps backwards. Shake It Off and Blank Space had an element of humor to them and were light-hearted, almost making fun of herself and they were catchy, fun songs. LWYMMD is just too dark, tries to hard, and she is taking herself WAY too seriously over spats with other celebrities who in all reality have nearly perfect lives and have nothing to get upset over other than petty feuds with each other. The sad thing to me is that this isn't a teenager or even someone in her early 20s - she is almost 28 freaking years old! I don't even mind her doing dance songs really, I like "This is What You Came For" that she wrote and the 50 Shades song "I Don't Wanna Live Forever", but this is trying to be too edgy.

Anyway, while I still have to give her credit for her business savvy, I would rather have heard a breakup song about Calvin than this.

Oh and please excuse me sharing that link on Twitter if you follow me there, lol. Since the jury is still out on whether or not I will like the rest of the album, I figured I may as well go ahead and do the Ticketmaster Verified Fan thing, although it's highly unlikely I will go see her on tour. I remember the tickets for the 1989 tour cost more than I wanted to pay to see Taylor, so it's unlikely I'll spend whatever she's going to ask for this time.
    I just have no idea of what she's trying to accomplish with this song & her new look.The main reason that I stopped listening to her is because of all of the Kanye & Kim drama.It just left a bad taste in my mouth & made me realize that Taylor isn't as innocent as she once seemed.The whole Kanye & Kim drama,the "feud" with Katy Perry just turned me off because who has time for that kind of drama in your music,much less in life.They're all acting like bratty teenagers who didn't get their way when they asked to go somewhere & their parents said no.This song just reeks of desperation & just comes off as petty & sad.She's trying WAY too hard to be something she's not & the stills from the video have that same feel of desperation to it.She just isn't edgy enough to carry this new look & new sound off.I used to love Taylor because she seemed original & creative with her songwriting to be clever in how she worded things,but this song lacks creativity & originality when you have to sample songs just to sell a record.We all know she didn't have to do that in the past to sell her records,so why is she starting now?The 30 second snippet on Spotify was enough to tell me that I just didn't care for the song at all.Why would people think that this song is actually good?It hurt my ears just even listening to the snippet.I have hard time believing that this was the only song she could've chosen for her lead single if there were way better options available.I want the old Taylor back,not this fake version who is trying so desperately hard to be something she's not.
    pklongbeach and teesharky like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    I certainly couldn't claim to be any kind of enthusiast for Pop Music in general - but, for what it's worth, my initial reaction would be that if you're going to use the genre, try to ring the changes, and work an arrangement that is out of the ordinary or expected groove for the format. I like this arrangement, because of the sonic changes that crop up frequently, and help greatly, in my opinion, to compensate for what could otherwise become an overly repetitive track. The song's credited to Taylor Swift, Jack Antonoff, Richard Fairbrass, Fred Fairbrass and Rob Manzoli (and, if that seems a bus-load of writers, it's actually light for many Pop/Dance numbers). It seems likely that Jack Antonoff would have played a major part in that sonically varied arrangement.

Commenting on Taylor's vocal delivery is more difficult for anyone not used to it - the LA Times critic argues that "she wards off any cumulative repetitiveness by shaking up the way she enunciates it each succeeding time" - but I think that might be more apparent on detailed repeat listens, or to fans already familiar with her style. Coming to the song fresh and uninvested, I would say that it is largely the music that lifts this out of the ordinary.

A similar point might apply to the lyrics - if someone knows the environment in which Taylor and her friends and rivals operate, it's probably tempting and intriguing to make connections with past and current incidents and guess the meaning - she obviously trades heavily on that assumption, and both fans and critics, in large part, enjoy making those connections. But if you don't have an interest in that background, the lyric has to stand by itself - and I think, there, the repetitiveness becomes more noticeable (and the song's longevity, and possible attraction for people who've followed her from other contexts, become more questionable.)

For me the most intriguing part of the lyric was:
    "I don't like your kingdom keys. They once belonged to me. You asked me for a place to sleep. Locked me out and threw a feast"
    It's tempting to me to read into that a possible echo of Taylor's view of her relationship with the Country genre - but in that, I'm probably falling into the Taylor guessing game trap, and supplying my own thoughts to overlay hers.
    At the very least, though, the verbal impact of that stanza is memorable - and betrays, for me, a vulnerability in the writer's self image. That vulnerability occurs at other points in the song, overlaid by bravado , and a desire to rise from the ashes of whatever she sees as destroyed.

It's a song largely outside my fields of choice, and not one I'm likely to continue listening to (in contrast to a couple on "Red", where I found the Alt Country and Rock influences stronger). But for all that, I'm not prepared to dismiss it as a mis-step, or a bad song. It's individual, a talking point, and sonically interesting - and those are qualities I wouldn't lightly disregard.
    There are technically only two writers on LWYMMD - Taylor and Jack Antonoff. The other three are credited because they are members of the band "Right Said Fred" of the "I'm Too Sexy" fame and were credited only because of the sampling/similarities in the song.
    Farawayhills and lolita55 like this.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Obsessed Carrie Fan carriefan14's Avatar
    Don't like it. Sloppy, all over the place, tacky.

Huge Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    To me sge has always been a publicity hound. Everything she did from the get go was perfectly orchestrated and I don't think she is nearly as nice as everyone thinks. To me she has always seemed calculating and Cold.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by mofan View Post
    To me sge has always been a publicity hound. Everything she did from the get go was perfectly orchestrated and I don't think she is nearly as nice as everyone thinks. To me she has always seemed calculating and Cold.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    I think that is a fair and accurate assessment of her overall character. I am not trying to be mean or disparage her, but she has always come across as a little bit cold to me, even when she was a teenager.
    Carrieslegs84, teesharky and Josh like this.

Concert Stars
    Read that Taylor will release two "Reputation" magazines at Targets which will include her new album.
    txacar likes this.

These pictures were posted on Twitter, comparing her to Nancy Wilson!
    https://twitter.com/Farcethemusic/st...23179263008768

I'm tempted to say, been there, done that!

Insane Carrie Fan
    I absolutely did not like this new song. Just weird, and totally not her sound at all. Awful, unfortunately it will reach #1. I was hoping for something different, hopefully the album isn't as weird.

Concert Stars
    The majority of the reviews I read were not thrilled with it at all. On the contrary they believe as did I, that she lost ground with this release and in many ways becomes the MEAN girl (serpent) attacking all those that have belittled her. But the lyrics don't come across even remotely as well as prior songs from prior albums
    Gator, lolita55 and Carrieslegs84 like this.

"Fight Like A Girl" Song Suffragette, Kalie Shorr, stayed up all night to get this guitar cover out!
    I don't know how the old Taylor Country fans (she's certainly one herself) will react - but I think she shows talent, spirit, sympathy for the song, a fresh approach, and individual touches.

[Edit:]
    An article on the cover here:

Kalie Shorr Covers Taylor Swift's 'Look What You Made Me Do'
    lolita55 likes this.

maybe I can say I witnessed the day the critics finally realized how childish and fame whore she is...

Concert Stars
    ^ Shocked that you like it Patrick. It is so self-absorbed and ridiculous. But aside from that-- the song itself has no hook or melody. IT is not catchy or radio friendly. It is the kind of song that you are interested in the first few times you hear it as it has shock value-- but it is not the kind of song that you want to hear on the radio all day long.

It is not radio ear candy as it lacks a catchy hook required for most big pop radio hits. I do not think it is radio friendly at all. But for her big name, it would not be getting much airplay.

•  
    Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast