Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
Like Tree545Likes

Thread: Taylor Swift's 6th album era

Obsessed Carrie Fan

Question

[QUOTE=pklongbeach;4745730]It sounds very much like one of those "in studio" writes where you get a beat submitted and start playing with it in the sequencer and just start riffing off it. With just a little time and a few clever lines you have a song...... Not the most creative or artistic way to create something special or unique. But that is how a lot of music is getting made today. Not really sure what some of Taylors favorite ways to write are these days. I know she used to do it on her own with just a guitar and a recorder. Not sure now.

If that is how she is now writing that would be explain why in my opinion her writing has regressed. There used to something special about her that just seemed to go away when she went completly pop.

I respect the old Taylor the new Taylor not so much.
    Carrieslegs84 likes this.

Concert Stars
    One difference in the writing that I am detecting that would be a result of a change in writing style is that when she was young and working with Liz Rose to polish her thoughts and melodies, it felt that every word and phrase was specifically placed and thoughtfully set so that the stories and ideas would be very clear and satisfying. Now you have what so much "in studio" material has which is strips of phrasing and melody and a few clever lines that are just repeated again and again in order and out of order so that you have a very formulated progression that comes to an obvious end. This is all sequenced and formatted into a computer and you just hit "play" and then riff over the top of it. Record it. And for many recording artists, that is the whole process. It ends up with a very thin creative piece.

You would never get White Horse, Our Song or Love Story writing this way. And I don't believe she is ever going to get back to that level of creativity again.
    Now days her creativity has moved over to the studio experience. That's not a bad thing or a judgement. You can call it growth and progression in her creative process. And that is fine. But again, you are not going to get the well designed songs of her past that way......
    lolita55 and Carrieslegs84 like this.

(We were talking about the influence of Liz Rose in Carrie's album thread - but, if Taylor's fans will forgive me, I'll make this point here, rather than there, to avoid too much digression)

This is Caitlin Rose, Liz's daughter, in 2011, singing one of her own songs, which brought her to the attention of Country fans over here:

I'm posting it because I think it's a great example of what I mean when I use the expression "Progressive Roots" - the use of modern music which still pays homage to the genre's historic development. The style is arguably too gentle for Carrie's trademark hits - but I'd still like Carrie to explore something along this general line on an album track. (And if Liz Rose had managed to inspire similar work in another teenage singer, I might have been a staunch TS fan today!)

(And by the way, playing steel in that video is our home grown boy, Spencer Cullum Jr, who also played on "Something Bad", and was one of the close knit band who helped Miranda develop TWOTW in near secrecy in Eric Masse's East Nashville studio)

Don't care for "Ready For It" too much. I'm hoping at least half the songs are not in this vain of songwriting on Reputation. Do you think she might release more songs like some people have done? If so I hope its at least one more song that's at least pretty good. I did like songs on 1989 (didn't like Shake It Off) so I'm hoping this is same situation.
    lolita55 and Carrieslegs84 like this.

Concert Stars
    what are monthly listeners? What does that mean exactly?

Concert Stars
    How is LWYMMD doing on the charts. I have been listening to 2 pop stations (one of which is AC) to catch TF and have never heard LWYMMD except on day one when it launched. Is it doing well at radio at this point?

Junior Carrie Follower ChoctawCountyAffair's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lizcarlo View Post
    Wow. Amazing!

Concert Stars
    ^ Patrick, I checked the Mediabase Top 40 charts and the dreadful lead single is somehow in the Top 10. But that is likely the result of major wheeling and dealing with Pop Radio-- not the result of consumers liking the song. I would be so curious as to what the Call out scores are on this song. Likely terrible.

I will never ever ever understand her appeal. How can so many people want to listen to that voice all day when she is not even on key? Ugh. I fear for the teens and humanity sometimes. lol
    DizzyDollyDee and DaisyTweets like this.

Huge Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    what are monthly listeners? What does that mean exactly?
    35 million people are listening to her every month

I can't believe the LWYMMD video has almost 500 million views in 3 weeks, and 5 million likes.

Concert Stars
    So 5 out of every 500 people like it........
    txacar likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by lizcarlo View Post
    Its actually quite sad to consider the state of music today. Carrie is in the same enviable situation, but I think its still quite sad. Corporate America has seen it to make sure that the vast majority of music listeners listen only to the most accessible and most profitable products in order to gain the most profit. In the meantime you have a huge amount of musical interest and creativity squelched and ignored while the world sings the 3 only songs that are out there....... They may as well be pumping Koreas national anthem through loudspeakers every morning on our way to work....... its actually a little scary......
    txacar likes this.

Junior Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    ^ Patrick, I checked the Mediabase Top 40 charts and the dreadful lead single is somehow in the Top 10. But that is likely the result of major wheeling and dealing with Pop Radio-- not the result of consumers liking the song. I would be so curious as to what the Call out scores are on this song. Likely terrible.

I will never ever ever understand her appeal. How can so many people want to listen to that voice all day when she is not even on key? Ugh. I fear for the teens and humanity sometimes. lol
    ummm it's constantly been in the top 5 on iTunes and pretty much number 1 since it's release without going on sale. I think consumers are liking the song since they are you know, consuming it LOL. I don't know how she does it but you can't deny that she is a machine. All the money in the world won't do that for you. I mean look at the music video views it has racked up. If you don't like Taylor or the song then move on and don't pay attention to her or it. Simple. Also I wouldn't hang your hat on radio or call out scores which are basically ancient ways to measure a songs popularity these days.

•  
    Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617