Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree571Likes

Thread: Taylor Swift's 6th album era

Junior Carrie Follower ChoctawCountyAffair's Avatar
    I have been listening to it since it came out, but I'm still not sure if i like it or not. It's interesting...

^^On some parts her vocals remind me of Miley Cyrus....?

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Liatush View Post
    NEW SONG.
    Ok, I am sorry. But this is crap! I actually like LWYMMD. And compared to that, and frankly compared to almost anything she has done, this is by far the most stretching attempt to tap into a style that is not even close to where she lives. And it comes across and completely cartoonish. Worse than Mean which many know I thought was a fake attempt at a country sound. this is.......I don't even know what she is trying to tap into. But it is the last song on the album, I hope, if it made the cut at all.....
    Carrieslegs84 likes this.

Apparently, it's the opening track of her new album - which does carry a risk, if significant numbers find this heavy electronic beat too unlike what they appreciate in her work.

This is part of a critique in The Ringer, which I found interesting - it suggests that she's in danger of losing the very characteristics that have made her work individual and identifiable:

"The main issue with this budding era of Taylor Swift isn’t that she’s trying new things (though by “new” I really only mean “new for her”), it’s that in doing so she seems to be losing the things that made her uniquely magnetic. Even on tracks like “Bad Blood”—songs that very abruptly separated Swift from her country-inspired past—the singer’s presence was palpable. The expert songwriting; the sharp pettiness. A Taylor Swift song was very clearly a Taylor Swift song. “...Ready for It?” could be by anyone—that it’s by Swift needs to be pointed out. For an artist who, in the past, has been so good at communicating a persona and rising above the overcrowded, same-sounding mass of pop artists, that’s a serious problem."

https://www.theringer.com/music/2017...-for-it-single

Concert Stars
    It's nothing special. Typical over-rated Taylor pop. Lyrics are cliche, and over-rated. But Song 2 sounds much more like what you would expect from her than the horrendous lead single that had no hook or catchy melody at all. Either way- this song is forgettable just as many of her songs are.

Junior Carrie Follower ChoctawCountyAffair's Avatar
    I definitely prefer Look What You Made Me Do. But i loove Ready For It pre-chorus and chorus, soo catchy! I wonder why they released a promo single so soon, LWYMMD is still selling good and streaming good too. According to HDD, LWYMMD sold more than 400k in it's first week. It'll be #1 on the Hot 100.

Concert Stars
    ^ It was smart of her team to release the clip of the new song as so many people hated on the lead single. Strong sales are esxpected from Taylor as well as streaming so that is not an indication of how the general public feels about the song. The critics basically slammed the song too. It got alot of hate on the internet. So I think her team was trying to appease the fans and casual public that are not into the lead single by releasing a more typical Taylor Bubble Gum pop song.
    simonplay and Carrieslegs84 like this.

The lead wasn't good but this new song is a mess! But yeah she have the best promo team ever! Lol
    Josh and teesharky like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I really hope the other songs on the album are better because the 2 songs that we have heard so far suck.

But I suspect that her singles will continue to sell great, as will her albums, because her diehard fans will continue to buy her music like the good little sheep that they are.
    Carrieslegs84 and teesharky like this.

Concert Stars
    The verses with the quasi-rapping threw me for a loop but I love the rest of the song.

The video with the ABC promo made me really like it. Smart girl to use it for the TGIT promo.
    Kizmet311 likes this.

Concert Stars
    I agree with that review that said Lwymmd is still so very Taylor. And I like it for its unapologetically "petty" position. I think a lot of people understand the sentiment even though most are mature enough not to get caught up in it. We can still appreciate someone just bathing in it.

But Ready for it really does sound like someone who is just trying to use every pop style there is to market themselves as diverse. There is nothing diverse about using a style of music that is not even close to who you are.......

And I will point out again, this is the first time you can legitimately ask yourself "who is she?".

Concert Stars
    LWYMMD still convinces me that there will be plenty of material on this album that her fans will love and have them talking about the "who is who and what is what" to the ends of the earth....

But for the mainstream, I have to agree with Tee, I don't think LWYMMD has longevity. It hit huge but are general audiences really interested in listening to Taylor Swift talking about how mistreated she is over and over and over again? I am not so sure...... I agree that this may be why they went ahead and released another tidbit quickly.....

We'll have to wait and see.

Junior Carrie Follower harry_potter_211's Avatar
    Oh, gosh, this new song is terrible too. Is she trying to ruin her reputation as a songwriter too?

She's just coming across as too desperate to sound different, but in a very lazy way too. These songs are so generic, and the fact she needed to borrow the hook from "I'm Too Sexy" for "Look What You Made Me Do" speaks for itself.

Junior Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    I agree with that review that said Lwymmd is still so very Taylor. And I like it for its unapologetically "petty" position. I think a lot of people understand the sentiment even though most are mature enough not to get caught up in it. We can still appreciate someone just bathing in it.

But Ready for it really does sound like someone who is just trying to use every pop style there is to market themselves as diverse. There is nothing diverse about using a style of music that is not even close to who you are.......

And I will point out again, this is the first time you can legitimately ask yourself "who is she?".

Believe it or not, she actually does have that hip hop influence. There is a Fergie-esque sound to her voice in the "rapping" parts.

Junior Carrie Follower
    If you've kept up with pop/hiphop in the past 10 years there are A LOT of references I can notice in her new sound, lyrics, and video. Some I know I've heard before but can't recall where exactly. She's bringing her influences together to make her own sound. It's experimental and weird, but it's about time she gets this out of her system. There is a bit of Fergie, Britney Spears, Mariah Carey, Beyonce and quite a bit more that I can think of. There is that sound that seems odd coming from her from I'm guessing her Kanye West/hip-hop influence? I think she was a fan of Kanye before they became eternal enemies. The first album she ever bought on itunes was a Kanye West album if I remember correctly, so she DOES have a hip-hop/rap influence, but you'd only know that if you were a fan I guess. Her sound is everywhere judging by the two songs she's released so far and I can only imagine what the rest of the album will be like. I despised 1989 for the most part, but maybe I can appreciate this new album.
    Farawayhills and Momin like this.

Concert Stars
    I am not trying to say that I don't think she knows or admires or is influenced by hip-rap. I just happen to agree with the critic listed that it does not sound natural on her. There is not a convincing committed result in her vocal performance. I think that is why even for a fan you suggest "it sounds weird". I am not trying to simply tear Taylor down. I am listening to what I hear and commenting on what I think works and doesn't work. Lets try not to get into the "hate" debate.

Carrie is "mercilessly" influenced by the big hairband sound of the 80/90's, that can be a distraction to her pure work. But the truth is, she is great at it and it adds a layer to who and what Carrie is as an artist. It would seem odd that this influence comes out, but because she is good at it, it simply adds a layer of interest. For Taylor, in this instance, her interest or influence toward hip-hop does not. I have heard some of the influence you speak of in songs like Trouble. And it worked well. For me, it does not work here.
    Carrieslegs84 and lolita55 like this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    I have absolutely no idea what this new song even is? Really rather terrible. I just don't have words to describe my reaction.
    Carrieslegs84 and lolita55 like this.

Junior Carrie Follower
    It works better here than in IKYWT imo. Definitely weird, but I like it.. maybe it's just because it's Taylor Swift. At first I was very bothered that she would completely separate herself from the country community with near to zero trace of the old Taylor. But, I just realize it's her journey to take as much as I might hate it sometimes, and I could tell she wanted to get this stuff out for a while now. It was apparent from the beginning, and maybe it's that she's finally being herself without letting anyone tell her how it's supposed to be done. I will always prefer country Taylor, but at least she isn't trying to fit into the mold as it came off as very inauthentic no matter how sweet she was or how many fans she had.
    pklongbeach and lolita55 like this.

Concert Stars
    I agree that her music often does not fit into a mold. It almost makes a mold. That is what I have liked so much about the pop eras.
    And again, I do like Look..... but this newer one is just very off for me. Like it is trying too hard.....not sure

Welp, some things are just impossible to understand. Look what Taylor made us do!!

Taylor Swift‘s “Look What You Made Me Do” vaults from No. 77 to No. 1 in its second week on Billboard’s Hot 100. That’s the biggest leap to No. 1 since “Crack a Bottle” by Eminem, Dr. Dre, and 50 Cent vaulted from No. 78 to No. 1 on Feb. 21, 2009.
    “Look What You Made Me Do” is the lead single from Swift’s upcoming sixth studio album, reputation. The lead singles from her two most recent studio albums were also out-of-the-box No. 1 hits. “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together,” the lead single from Red, vaulted from No. 72 to No. 1 in its second week in August 2012. “Shake It Off,” the lead single from 1989, debuted at No. 1 in September 2014.
    This is Swift’s fifth No. 1 hit. She also topped the chart with “Blank Space” and “Bad Blood” (featuring Kendrick Lamar). Only four other artists have amassed five or more No. 1 hits so far in this decade. Rihanna leads the pack with nine, followed by Katy Perry with eight and Bruno Mars with seven. Justin Bieber is tied with Swift with five leaders so far in this decade.
    “Look What You Made Me Do” set new weekly records for the greatest sales and streams of any song in 2017. The old records were held by Ed Sheeran’s “Shape of You” and Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee’s “Despacito” (featuring Bieber), respectively.
    https://www.yahoo.com/music/chart-wa...192216472.html

•  
    Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast