Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
Like Tree724Likes

Thread: Taylor Swift - Reputation Era

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Twaintrain, I'm going to do your ranking, just a bit different. I am having to go back and listen or re-listen to Taylor's past albums, because I haven't listened to them in forever (or ever, in the case of her debut). So, as I finish listening to each album and it's fresh on my mind, I will comment my favorite single/non-single and a comment on the album as a whole. After I've finished listening to all of them, I will rank them!

Taylor Swift (Is there a deluxe version of this album? I only found one version on Amazon Unlimited. Although it appears it might be a reissue with what were originally bonus tracks.)

Single: Should've Said No
    Non-single: A Perfectly Good Heart

This was a tough album for me to critique. Honestly, I couldn't wait for it to be over. As I've said before, I started liking some of Taylor's songs during the Fearless era, but Speak Now was the first Taylor album that I ever listened to on a repeated basis. It's not that I dislike her early music, it's just that I didn't get into it at the time and listening to it now, almost 12 years later, it sounds so dated and her voice sounds so immature. I like the singles better than the album tracks, just because I am more familiar with them, having heard them on country radio at the time they were released. Should've Said No is the first Taylor song that I remember really liking and latching onto. I think me being 26 and Taylor being 17 when this album came out made it harder for me to relate to her and her songs. It was especially hard for me to pick a non-single as my "favorite", because I didn't like any of them that much. I honestly will probably never listen to this album again. Perhaps my feelings about it would be different if I had listened to it when it came out and had some familiarity or nostalgia about it, but I didn't and I don't, so it really doesn't do anything for me as a 37 year old listening to the whole album for the first time, lol.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Concert Stars
    ^There was a deluxe edition. I don’t know the song “A Perfectly Good Heart” so you must have listened to the deluxe edition. I just have the regular with 11 songs that ends with “Our Song”.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I am VERY slowly making my way through Taylor's discography, lol. I just finished listening to Fearless this morning on my way to work. It took me forever since I wasn't in my car for long periods at a time this past week. Anyway, I listened to the Platinum Edition of Fearless, which initially made for a very odd listening experience. I was 99% sure that I had listened to the album a few times years ago, but when it started I didn't recognize any of the songs. After doing some research just now, it appears that the Platinum version includes the "bonus" tracks at the beginning of the album, rather than the end. I didn't care for any of these bonus tracks really, except maybe "The Other Side of the Door" and wanted to skip them, but didn't. In hindsight, maybe I should have since they weren't part of the Fearless album with which I was familiar! Anyway, here goes.

Fave Single: Love Story (Honorable mention for White Horse)
    Fave Non-single(s): Breathe and You're Not Sorry

This was the first Taylor album that I actually listened to the whole thing pretty soon after it came out and I do remember listening to it more than once, although I don't know that it stayed in rotation for very long. Her voice does show signs of maturing on this album, although I think it gets much better with Speak Now. However, it didn't grate on my nerves like it did on her debut. Overall, I really liked all of the singles on this album and there were a couple of standout album tracks for me that I probably liked better than the singles (except maybe Love Story). I loved Breathe from the moment I heard it, but I was also a Colbie Caillat fan at the time and owned one of her albums. This type of song and vocal was one of my favorites from Taylor in that time period, because Safe & Sound is still one of my favorite ever Taylor songs.

It was during the Fearless era that I saw Taylor when she toured with Keith Urban. I feel like it was in Lexington, KY, at Rupp Arena, although on her wiki page that date is not listed as one with Keith. I may have seen them in Cincinnati. Anyway, I don't think I listened to the album Fearless until after this tour date maybe. It was this tour that made me fall in love with You're Not Sorry. Taylor played the song on piano and I think she mashed it up with JT's "What Goes Around (Comes Around)". I loved the song live and it is close to being my favorite song on Fearless.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I finished Speak Now a few days ago and actually listened to part of it twice. I think I said this already, but Speak Now was definitely the first Taylor album that I listened to on repeat when it was out. While it still has a couple of songs that I don't care for, it also has several of my favorite Taylor songs. This is also the one and only headlining tour of Taylor's that I have seen - I took my 9yo (at the time) stepdaughter to this tour for her birthday. Granted, I wanted to go to the 1989 and Reputation tours, but the tickets are priced a little too high for me.

Anyway, here are my fave tracks:

Single: Sparks Fly (This is a hands down #1, with Back to December in a very distant second place. I actually like the album tracks better on this album than I do the singles, overall.)
    Non-single: Enchanted (I don't know what it is about this song, but I adore it. Last Kiss would be a pretty close second.)

This album has a couple of my least favorite Taylor songs ever (Speak Now and Mean).
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Concert Stars
    Did she wait to submit titles to the grammy's till next year? Seems at least the lead would have been eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    Did she wait to submit titles to the grammy's till next year? Seems at least the lead would have been eligible.
    I guess the 1st single was submitted but didn't get any nomination. I just joined a pop forum and there's a fan war (Beyonce x Madonna x TS x Pink x Perry...) and it seems her singles aren't doing well this era although her albums seems to be almost 3M

None of her singles this era so far is worthy of Grammy nomination, in my opinion.

She also apparently declined to perform at Grammys. Seems to be very low-key this era and just letting her "reputation" sell the album.
    rcramer and pklongbeach like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    ^^ totally agree....

Concert Stars
    I think album sales for her are always going to be strong since she is identified as a "must have" product in the market place. But singles at radio say a little more about how the product is being received because radio is always doing research to determine if something is resonating. And especially in the competitive pop market something might be introduced hugely with great fanfair but then sputters out when there is not a lot of response. I would not call the coroner. Reputation is a huge success at any level. Except for Taylor. She is about the only act that can be comparable to herself.

With that huge success in mind, I think it was probably a mistake to go the route of "I am dark and brooding and (once again) misunderstood! Most of the negative response has been with regard to "she is not the fun wholesome persona she once was". Of course she could not stay that way forever, but after all the fussing and fighting with every artist who came into contact with her, and then the high profile "Taylor Squad" which represented itself as extremist and elitist... I think the general public just started to stop paying attention. I don't think its a turning away, just a non-interest.

She still has her huge fan base and always will. But it feels she has alienated herself quite a bit. But it would only take a turn of "redemption" with something lighter and more fun to have the general public back in her court.

How many singles is she in at this point? And how well is Reputation still selling?

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I think album sales for her are always going to be strong since she is identified as a "must have" product in the market place. But singles at radio say a little more about how the product is being received because radio is always doing research to determine if something is resonating. And especially in the competitive pop market something might be introduced hugely with great fanfair but then sputters out when there is not a lot of response. I would not call the coroner. Reputation is a huge success at any level. Except for Taylor. She is about the only act that can be comparable to herself.

With that huge success in mind, I think it was probably a mistake to go the route of "I am dark and brooding and (once again) misunderstood! Most of the negative response has been with regard to "she is not the fun wholesome persona she once was". Of course she could not stay that way forever, but after all the fussing and fighting with every artist who came into contact with her, and then the high profile "Taylor Squad" which represented itself as extremist and elitist... I think the general public just started to stop paying attention. I don't think its a turning away, just a non-interest.

She still has her huge fan base and always will. But it feels she has alienated herself quite a bit. But it would only take a turn of "redemption" with something lighter and more fun to have the general public back in her court.

How many singles is she in at this point? And how well is Reputation still selling?

Three singles to pop (End Game is the third) and New Years Day was sent to country radio, but I'm not sure how committed they are to that release. In terms of single success while I like the album as a whole I don't see the songs have Shake It Off or Blank Space levels of success (even the songs I really like). Maybe with a re-release they will have that which I thought was in the works.

My favourite albums from her are Fearless and 1989, by far.

So I guess you can say I am one of those "typical" casual fan of hers. Reputation just doesn't click with me at all. It's the first album from her that I have no interest playing more than once... in fact, some of the tracks I didn't even finish listening, just fastforwarded through it.

Doesn't help that there was no streaming and nothing available on Youtube for many weeks after release. The anticipation of her release died down for me, I forgot about it and just moved on to other music.

taylorswiftRepu-hearsals ��

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfGtt6fnQq2/

I just saw that reputation has broken another record! Glad to see her legacy on country radio has extended to pop as well!

Largest fall on Top 40/CHR/POP radio
    1. -4986 spins - TAYLOR SWIFT - "Look What You Made Me Do"
    2. -4604 spins - TAYLOR SWIFT - "End Game" featuring Lord Ed Sheeran MBE and Future
    3. -4514 spins - Ke$ha - "Praying"
    4. -4439 spins - Superbowl performer, *Nsync star, Britney Spears's ex-boyfriend Justin Timberlake - "Filthy"
    5. -4432 spins - TAYLOR SWIFT - "...Ready For It?"

The domination!
    lizcarlo likes this.

Concert Stars
    Wow, Can you elaborates somewhat on what this means.
    I have wanted updates on Taylors progress but it would seem this thread has all but died.

Are those drops all at once? Or is it that they hit radio with huge (overinflated) introductions to the charts and then immediately dropped off. Just curious.

I have been one that has been saying that since I started following "The Fighter" at pop radio I was and still am listening to pop radio pretty regularly and hear nothing of this album. I hear a little of BS and maybe one other here and there but not much. I hear BHC on a fairly regular basis but not the taylor stuff. I felt like I was going crazy. So I am just curious.

I also know the album sold 3 million which is still very impressive. I am just curious how it stacks up to her other album releases from the past for this same time period.

Anyone who is interested in responding I would appreciate it....

Wow, Can you elaborates somewhat on what this means.
    I have wanted updates on Taylors progress but it would seem this thread has all but died.

Are those drops all at once? Or is it that they hit radio with huge (overinflated) introductions to the charts and then immediately dropped off. Just curious.

I have been one that has been saying that since I started following "The Fighter" at pop radio I was and still am listening to pop radio pretty regularly and hear nothing of this album. I hear a little of BS and maybe one other here and there but not much. I hear BHC on a fairly regular basis but not the taylor stuff. I felt like I was going crazy. So I am just curious.

I also know the album sold 3 million which is still very impressive. I am just curious how it stacks up to her other album releases from the past for this same time period.

Anyone who is interested in responding I would appreciate it....
    Just like her career on country radio, those singles did climb for a couple of weeks before tumbling down when the payola stopped. LWYMMD had a "Mine"-esque push to No 1, RFI scraped the Top 10 with a push, EG stalled outside of Top 10 before freefalling.

Concert Stars
    Got it. Thanks.

Got it. Thanks.
    Also, she hasn't sold 3 million copies of her album either, unless you're counting streaming and tracks sales, and world-wide.

She sold 2 million+ in the US and has practically flopped globally.
    pklongbeach likes this.

Concert Stars
    Wow, ok. I knew something was very different this time. The whole roll out. The commitment for no streaming. The darker tinge to the material. And its not even that its darker. Its that is self-absorbed more so than usual almost paranoid. I am always surprised by public reaction and never surprised by it.
    But as an album with very little of what people have come to expect from her "hook after hook after hook in the form of a song" I am not surprised that these songs are not catching on.

I still think the whole "mod-squad" "we can not be touched" thing was a bad idea from the start. Her biggest asset for the audience that liked her so much was her accessibility to them. The elitist thing just did not sit on her as well. As most of her fan base are used to being treated poorly by "mean girls", when she became one I think they lost trust......
    Carrieslegs84 likes this.

•  
    Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast