Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Rascal Flatts Covering IKYW For New Album

Concert Stars
    Total missed opportunity to me.
    They basically did a karaoke version of Carries arrangement. And because it is closer to his key his voice sounds very relaxed and comfortable in the range that it is in. There is nothing new or different here at all.
    One of the big problems with that is that it allows for almost a direct comparison. And that is where things don't go well for this version.
    Because of the intensity of Carries delivery and the full breath of her range you have a very powerful impact. This lacks all of that because it sits so comfortably in his range.
    You also have Carrie doing what Carrie does better than anyone in the industry today, holding a full belt for an eternity!! He does not do that at all here. He uses all the different afactations of his voice to avoid holding out a full powerful note to its end........... The likely reason? Because his voice is very thin and sharp and is not attractive when pushed into those notes. It becomes very whiny and tinny. He is a great singer, so don't misunderstand me. He just does not have the voice to hold out a big note like that and have it be anything but annoying. Carrie does.

One of the reasons Carrie won Idol hands down was this unique ability that few people have. And its very impressive. (Carrie should be careful though to use it judiciously so as not to allow it to become common place for her).

Without that, and considering this is just a karaoke version instead of an actual reimagining, it just does not hold up at all...... And I agree with those who feel like if they do decide to release it as a single and it gains traction it will be a bitter pill for me to swallow........ just sayin......
    lolita55 and oldyfan like this.

Concert Stars
    With all that said, I still don't feel like this song has gotten the treatment and arrangement that could catapult it to amazing. Its the right song without the right arrangement. Think "I Will Always Love You" after W.Houstons treatment. It was a completely different experience of the same song, and made you appreciate the original even more.......
    lolita55 likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    ^^^ perfect example used when you mention IWALY and IKYW versions, the originals are the best....

The way Carrie sang it like others mentioned, haunting and with pure emotion, not to mention superb vocal delivery, Dolly did the same with IWALY....
    lolita55 likes this.

•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12