Like Tree10Likes
  • 5 Post By Farawayhills
  • 2 Post By Farawayhills
  • 2 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By rainbow1

Thread: Brandy Clark & I'm With Her to honour Linda Ronstadt

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar

Brandy Clark & I'm With Her to honour Linda Ronstadt

A tribute concert for Linda (with proceeds going to research into Parkinsons Disease) will be held in Los Angeles on Dec 11th

Jackson Brown and Grace Potter will be among the artists performing - and I'm particularly glad that the Country Music community will be represented by Brandy Clark, and I'm With Her.

I'm With Her are particularly interesting, because they are a new trio, with existing individual careers, coming together to perform as a side project. This format echoes the famous "Trio" formed by Linda herself, with Emmylou and Dolly - producing two albums that are classics of the genre. The members of I'm With Her are three of the leading younger women in Bluegrass - fiddler and vocalist Sara Watkins (of Nickel Creek, who are currently in hiatus, but she is issuing her own acclaimed solo work), Aoife O'Donovan (lead singer of Crooked Still), and Sarah Jarosz (Texan multi-instrumental sensation).

While I'm very pleased that organizations like the Rock Hall and the IBMA are commemorating Linda in her enforced retirement due to illness, I am a little disappointed that, so far, none of the Mainstream Country organizations seem to have done so - even though her influence on vocal style and thematic song choice in the female Country sector means that Country arguably owes her a greater debt than do Rock or Bluegrass. This is very much a project that I hope Carrie might be able push for in Nashville, as her vocal contribution to the earlier Rock Hall tribute was highly praised by both her own fans and by Linda's.
    lizcarlo, Mirasa45A, Momin and 2 others like this.

I've received a copy of the set list - and when I saw it, I immediately thought of Carrie! I wish she could have taken part (though I know she's just finished a grueling touring schedule, and I don't know if she has any contact with Bluegrass Solutions, who were one of the sponsors.

These were some highlights:

Sara Watkins sang "Different Drum", accompanied by her brother Sean

Brandy Clark sang "Crazy Arms", accompanied by J D Souther (who was close to Linda, both musically and personally, in her early career)

After a filmed message by Dolly, talking about the original Trio with Linda and Emmylou,
    the new trio, I'm With Her, performed the Carter Family classic "Lover's Return"

Aiofe O'Donovan performed the Fiddlin' Arthur Smith classic "Adieu False Heart" (which Linda had recorded on what was to be her last album, before being struck by Parkinson's Disease)

Don Henley (another early associate of Linda's) sang his classic "Desperado" (the Grammy performance of which had led to Carrie being involved in the Rock Hall tribute)

Grace Potter had two numbers, "You're No Good", and "Silver Threads and Golden Needles"

All the women joined together to sing "Blue Bayou" as an encore

(100% of receipts went to Parkinson's Disease research)
    rainbow1 and Smokyiiis like this.

There are plenty of You Tube videos, if anyone would like to see parts of the concert (search for "Cal Vid" 's account for others). Here are a few that meant most to me:

Brandy Clark singing a '50s Country standard that Linda recorded on her third album in 1972. JD Souther sings harmony here (as he did on the original). I'm glad to see Brandy (an obvious admirer of Linda) taking this up - apart from Miranda Lambert singing "Willin'" in her concerts this year, Mainstream Country has done little to commemorate Linda recently, which I think is overdue.
    In the second part, J D sings one of his own compositions, which Linda recorded in 1974. A female voice singing harmony would have been good here, I think.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POZ58pR-1GE

Sara Watkins, with support from the Watkins Family Hour, singing what is probably the first of Linda's songs to get wide notice, from the days she fronted the group Stone Ponies. (Fans will remember this is the song Carrie sung at the Rock Hall tribute.) Although it has a variety of interpretations, Linda and her followers usually emphasize the aspect of female independence amd self reliance.
    The second part is Grace Potter giving an excellent version of "You're No Good". I think this brings out very well the "Rock Chick" edge that Linda often had in her songs - another reason why I'd like to hear Carrie and some of the other contemporary Mainstream singers performing more Linda songs.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dI6COAXwEE

To make a similar point, here are Jess Wolfe and Holly Laessig of the band Lucius, singing an Everly Brothers classic, that Linda covered in the seventies:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpp9zBdX_tM

Although Carrie would, in my opinion, be very good on songs like the above - she also shows great skill in her occasional performances of more traditional Roots songs - and I'd like her to try that side as well
    The two examples on the next video are songs 80 or 90 years after their first recordings. They still incorporate modern touches that give them a timeless feel. It's well known that the revival that led to Progressive Bluegrass owed a lot to West Coast artists - but what is perhaps less well remembered is how much Linda played in that movement, both in the Bluegrass groups she supported and performed with, and in the influence she had on the women singers in that genre. Here, Aoife O'Donovan takes lead vocal - and (along with Grace Potter) she is, in my opinion, the artist here who most reflects Linda's own style.
    A special note here on Sarah Jarosz's authentic banjo performance. (The Linda-Emmylou-Dolly Trio was emphatically vocal - relying on session musicians. The younger women of Bluegrass have definitely gone further, with first rate musicianship as well. It's great to see that tradition being built on)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEcbrqIULk

The finale - this was especially well handled in my opinion - catching very well the 'Bluegrass meets Rock'; which was the spirit of this concert (and also of much of the California Roots scene since the 70s)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJRWNHxdv2U
    txacar and rainbow1 like this.

Concert Stars
    I will watch them later, when I have a little more time.
    Farawayhills likes this.

•