• 5 Post By sco
  • 2 Post By lizcarlo
  • 2 Post By lolita55
  • 1 Post By lizcarlo
  • 1 Post By Smokyiiis

Thread: LeAnn Rimes - Remnants

Concert Stars

LeAnn Rimes - Remnants

Gosh I know that a lot of people don't like her because of the cheating (though guys seem to skirt this downfall rather quickly), but the first two releases off the album REMNANTs due out in February are absolute perfection. The nuances in her voice, the phrasing of the story are wonderful.

How to Kiss A Boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am86I6xb2VM

Brandy Carlisle Cover of "The Story"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqIrNkls6bU

Concert Stars
    Oh wow! I'm not the only one that thinks it's great....just read this on Country Universe:

“How to Kiss a Boy”
    LeAnn RimesWritten by Barry Dean and Lori McKenna
    This song is absolutely gorgeous, and so is LeAnn Rimes’ tender and vulnerable reading of it.
    I’m a broken record on this, but I’ll say it again. The best way to close the quality deficit at country radio is for artists to embrace the best songwriters of today – Lori McKenna, Brandy Clark, Jason Isbell – and mainstream their incredible songs. It’s a formula for success that has always worked, as far back as when Patsy Cline and Faron Young were covering Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings was doing a full LP of Billy Joe Shaver tunes.
    Full credit to Rimes for seeking out a flawless McKenna song and pairing her incomparable vocal talent with it. A story of first love gone wrong in three acts, “How to Kiss a Boy” captures the innocence so beautifully that even the listener’s innocence is a little bit shattered when deceit rears its ugly head and the kiss of first love becomes a kiss of desperate, unwarranted forgiveness…and then one of goodbye.
    Country music, country radio, country powers that be…please rediscover LeAnn Rimes. She’s not who you remember. She’s a fully developed artist now and her voice would elevate the genre if it could only be heard again. Start here.
    Grade: A
    DizzyDollyDee, txacar and lizcarlo like this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I was upset as everyone else when her scandal was revealed but I've been over it a long time now and its mainly as others have taken her place. It seems to run rampant in the entertainment world. I put LeAnn in the same world as Bieber - too young to handle success to the extent it happened - one minute you are the golden child with the golden voice and still your a child but good grief why aren't you handling it all like an adult!!! How do you mature normally when your life is so crazy?? So happy Carrie was older and her schooling pretty much behind her - plus close to her family to keep her grounded. Everybody's circumstances are different but we want everyone to respond the same. I have liked and purchased several of LeAnn's songs she has put out the last few years "Give" and "What Have I done" and not all country such as her song w/ Rob Thomas "Gasoline and Matches" - I liked and bought. These two are lovely (especially How to Kiss a Boy) but again, wonder if they'll be played on radio. Is what she did so much worse than what other main stream artist have done who haven't been punished at all and yet LeAnn is still being punished after many years?
    Smokyiiis likes this.

Concert Stars
    Women have a hard time anyway in country music, but the country music audience doesn't take kindly to the causer of breakups and I would imagine especially if it is a woman - Leann should have known how that would affect the wife in a marriage and have some sympathy- let the guy get a divorce first, she prob knew there would be a backlash but love makes you do crazy things. Leann does have an amazing voice and I was always disappointed she didn't stick to singing more traditional country in her albums - it would be nice to hear her back on radio but it seems it's tougher than ever now
    DizzyDollyDee likes this.

Concert Stars
    IT sounds great. She has always had a great voice. It was always about what she was choosing. Her ability has never been in question.

As for the scandal. I think it was just the way she handled it. She was very public and very blatant about the whole thing. And people took offense to that aspect of it, not so much the fact that they both broke up marriages. Current Country artists do this like its nothing. But she did it in a very public way....and very unapologetically. Miranda basically did the very same thing but did it more quietly and no one even blinked... in fact, they celebrated it..... And now the man she cheated with in being celebrated for his next relationship. It all comes around.....

Concert Stars
    Sorry ya'll. I didn't intend purposefully to set this thread up about cheating but rather about the new music. I'm really loving it and have high hopes that this next album has some spectacular material on it.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Thanks for posting the thread.

I'm very interested to see that she picked a Brandi Carlile song. If anyone should like to compare it with that version, this is the link
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8pQLtHTPaI

That song was written by Phil, one of the Hanseroth twins who always accompany Brandi on guitars. It came out in 2007, in an emotive Folk Rock style that lends lends itself to interpretation in a variety of styles - it's been used as theme music in TV production.

The other song strikes me as very characteristic of Lori McKenna - and I think LeAnn honours that style commendably. She catches the expressive nature of Lori's writing, where the emotion is expressed with considerable realism, coming out in almost conversational snatches, like a stream of thoughts

I'd agree that LeAnn Rimes has been a divisive figure in Country Music circles - but I think that long pre-dates her divorce. (If music fans based their appreciation on artists' personal lives, Steve Earle would have no fans left after seven broken marriages - Jennifer Nettles even had an affectionate song satirizing that!)
    The LeAnn Rimes situation arose after a brilliant beginning with "Blue", which was hailed as one of the Country breakthroughs of the generation, but was soon followed by an undeniable move into Pop - which led many to regret what might have been. However, although undoubtedly a breathtaking performance, much of the hype over "Blue" was created by clever marketing, based on the story that it had been meant for Patsy Cline before her untimely death, and that the writer had been waiting decades to find an artist worthy of recording it. (In fact, it had already been recorded earlier, and the supposed connection with Patsy Cline appeared to be thin).
    A fan told me that the teenage debut of LeAnn Rimes had been shaped by an older generation, who were then steering her career, and that going to Pop was what she personally wanted. Regret is understandable, but I believe artists should be what they want, and not be blamed for not fulfilling others' dreams.

Smokyiiis likes this.

Concert Stars
    Faraway she also wrote with Lori McKenna on this next album from what I read. (Don't know if I spelled that correctly).

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokyiiis View Post
    Faraway she also wrote with Lori McKenna on this next album from what I read. (Don't know if I spelled that correctly).
    Yes, I've edited to add a comment on Lori to my post above - I think LeAnn catches the atmosphere of her style perfectly.

I agree she's a singer of nuance and expressive sincerity - and I'd like her to get the attention she deserves, without focus on her personal life
    Smokyiiis and DizzyDollyDee like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I've always thought that LeAnn has a beautiful voice, but her lack of enunciation has always bothered me. Has she improved upon that with age? I hated it when she wouldn't sing the words clearly.

And I have to agree with Faraway - her downfall probably began with the Coyote Ugly soundtrack. As a young woman, I greatly enjoyed those songs, but we all know that until Taylor came along, country music was not kind to females like LeAnn and Faith that had pop-leaning crossover music. I think Shania was just too big for them to ignore, although she was not heavily awarded.

LeeAnn Rimes has always had such beautiful tone and voice. I'm even more excited to hear that she has wrote with Lori McKenna. She is very talented writer.

Here is amazing performance of The Story.

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    Yes, I've edited to add a comment on Lori to my post above - I think LeAnn catches the atmosphere of her style perfectly.

I agree she's a singer of nuance and expressive sincerity - and I'd like her to get the attention she deserves, without focus on her personal life
    I agree! She is very talented. The focus on her personal life is just another example of the extreme sexism in country music. A guy can have an affair and it doesn't affect his career at all but if a woman has an affair it's the death knell. The hypocrisy is simply appalling.

Quote Originally Posted by sco View Post
    I agree! She is very talented. The focus on her personal life is just another example of the extreme sexism in country music. A guy can have an affair and it doesn't affect his career at all but if a woman has an affair it's the death knell. The hypocrisy is simply appalling.
    I'm not saying I think people should cheat. It is hurtful thing to have happen to you. Its beyond annoying that men in country (I don't mean just this generation) have cheated and done worse things than cheating and have been forgiven. Its shame women are judged so harshly but men get away with anything they do in 2016. LeeAnn deserves more recognition because she has some great music and rich distinctive voice. She would make a great addition to country ladies in mainstream. I like that she hasn't let their snubbing effect her and keeps on doing music.
    Last edited by lizcarlo; 11-01-2016 at 03:30 PM.
    Smokyiiis and DizzyDollyDee like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Leann has always had a beautiful voice, so she should be celebrated for it, and whenever she releases good or great material she should get credit for it. As for the whole cheating thing it wasn't because she cheated people do that everyday, it was the fact that she didn't seem to care, that she hurt her ex-husband, Eddie's ex-wife and their children. It was all about the mememe.Which is what turned people off of her.
    Smokyiiis and gocountrymusic like this.

LeAnn is at about 36:29 till it ends. She is the last one they interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEW4cnv41X8
    Smokyiiis likes this.

Concert Stars
    ^^loved it! Thanks for sharing
    lizcarlo likes this.

•