• 3 Post By Farawayhills
  • 2 Post By Farawayhills
  • 2 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills

Thread: AMA award show, Sept 21st

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar

AMA award show, Sept 21st

The annual Americana Fest is going on in Nashville all this week, with performances by 300 artists, and various conferences and panels.

One highlight will be the Award Show, at the Ryman, on Wednesday 21st, at 7.30 pm, ET. It should be possible to watch a live stream of the show on NPR's website. Time permitting, I shall try to cover it
    NPR Music: New Music, Music Reviews and Music News : NPR

These are the nominees:

Album Of The Year

• Something More Than Free, Jason Isbell; produced by Dave Cobb
    • The Ghosts Of Highway 20, Lucinda Williams; produced by Greg Leisz, Tom Overby and Lucinda Williams
    • The Very Last Day, Parker Millsap; produced by Parker Millsap and Gary Paczosa
    • Traveller, Chris Stapleton; produced by Dave Cobb and Chris Stapleton

Artist Of The Year

• Jason Isbell
    • Bonnie Raitt
    • Chris Stapleton
    • Lucinda Williams

Duo/Group Of The Year

• Alabama Shakes
    • Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell
    • Lake Street Dive
    • The Milk Carton Kids
    • Tedeschi Trucks Band

Emerging Artist Of The Year

• Leon Bridges
    • John Moreland
    • Margo Price
    • Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats

Song Of The Year

• "24 Frames" by Jason Isbell; written by Jason Isbell
    • "Dime Store Cowgirl" by Kacey Musgraves; written by Kacey Musgraves, Luke Laird, Shane McAnally
    • "Hands Of Time" by Margo Price; written by Margo Price
    • "S.O.B." by Nathaniel Rateliff & The Nightsweats; written by Nathaniel Rateliff

Instrumentalist Of The Year

• Cindy Cashdollar
    • Stuart Duncan
    • Jedd Hughes
    • Sara Watkins
    Momin, opry051008 and rainbow1 like this.

I'm surprised to see Kacey Musgraves here.

Kacey's attended this show before - she's been a presenter, giving a speech and video presentation when Loretta was honoured.

As long as their music fits into a general ethos that's compatible with both wings, I like the idea of artists straddling the different branches of the genre - I think the boundaries are artificial, and should be fluid. There's certainly music, at either end of the spectrum, that couldn't expect to be accepted by both - but there's also some that does overlap quite naturally. As well as Kacey and Chris Stapleton, who've been recent nominees in award shows for both wings, there are other artists, such as Lee Ann Womack and Will Hoge who are appearing at the festivals.

Although some purists would resist the idea, I think there are current Mainstream songs like "Choctaw County Affair" and "Vice" which draw on influences from this wing - though the prejudice against "Hillbillies, Hippies and Has-beens" (a real quote from a Music Row insider about this show) would probably deter record labels from emphasizing the connection.

----------

If anyone from the UK or Ireland is thinking of watching the stream (it has worked successfully in earlier years), I think the start should be at 1.30 AM - another sleepless night! lol

I must have mistaken the start time, as it seems to be already under way. I've found, though, that you can turn the stream back and search for the start

It begins with a memorial to Merle Haggard, Guy Clark, Allen Toussaint & Dr Ralph Stanley, sung almost a capella by Alison Krauss
    opry051008 and rainbow1 like this.

Steve Earle sings Guy Clark's "Desperadoes Waiting For a Train", backed by the McCrary Sisters

Bob Weir sings Merle's "Mama Tried", with harmonies from Buddy Miller
    opry051008 and rainbow1 like this.

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    I must have mistaken the start time, as it seems to be already under way. I've found, though, that you can turn the stream back and search for the start

It begins with a memorial to Merle Haggard, Guy Clark, Allen Toussaint & Dr Ralph Stanley, sung almost a capella by Alison Krauss
    Beautifully sung.

Bonnie Raitt describes the artists in this format as people who don't quite fit shoes off the shelves.

After an eloquent speech, mentioning how she spreads her influences across the genres, including Pop success, with the emphasis on songwriting, she presents the Trailblazer Award to Shawn Colvin.

Shawn sings her first hit "Diamond in the Rough", which she calls her autobiographical story song.
    rainbow1 likes this.

I lost my internet connection completely (not just the stream) just after that point last night! I think it's the first time I've been completely shut out from all sites - no idea why. I've managed to reconfigure the router this morning - but I missed most of the night's performances - I'll have to check whether they're still available.

For those interested, this is the list of winners:

Album of the Year: Something More Than Free, Jason Isbell, Produced by Dave Cobb
    Artist of the Year: Chris Stapleton
    Group/Duo of the Year: Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell
    Song of the Year: “24 Frames,” Jason Isbell
    Emerging Artist of the Year: Margo Price
    Instrumentalist of the Year: Sara Watkins
    Spirit of Americana/Free Speech in Music Award co-presented by the Americana Music Association and the First Amendment Center: Billy BraggLifetime Achievement Award, Trailblazer: Shawn Colvin
    Lifetime Achievement Award, Songwriting: William Bell
    Lifetime Achievement Award, Performance: Bob Weir
    Lifetime Achievement Award, WagonMaster: Jim Lauderdale (the longtime host of this show)
    President's Award: Woody Guthrie

I think the awards went pretty much as expected - I know some posters here will be especially pleased to see Sara Watkins win Instrumentalist of the Year (a member of the trio Nickel Creek, since their breakthrough as children, she's also pursued a successful solo career as a a fiddler and vocalist)
    rainbow1 likes this.

The two young Oklahoma singer/songwriters, Parker Milsap and John Moreland, did not win the two categories they were nominated in (John Moreland, who is based in Tulsa, has become known to some fans in the Mainstream, after Miranda Lambert said he was the artist she most listened to during her songwriting this year) - but fans generally from that part of the world may be particularly interested in Woody Guthrie posthumously winning the President's Award.

Oklahoma cultural institutions have been co-operating with the AMA to commemorate his legacy (he retired through ill health 60 years ago this year, and next year will be the 50th anniversary of his death). This page outlines the Oklahoma cultural contribution to the commemoration, including performances by many of his fellow Okie artists:

Americana Music Association Partners with Oklahoma Arts Organizations for 2016 AmericanaFest | AmericanaMusic.org

•