Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
Like Tree443Likes

Thread: Women in Country Music

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    We know that women artists have a hard task breaking through - and that is likely to be even more the case for women from minority backgrounds.

This is a talented artist, who I believe deserves to succeed. She has been featured on our Country TV channel, Keep It Country, but has yet to gain recognition at home, where she has been trying to raise funds to record an EP. Her name is Shawney Damisch, and she is performing under just her first name. She has had an unusual journey in life, as she and her younger siblings were orphaned and abandoned in Chicago, after some gang-related incidents. They were adopted into a mixed race family, who owned a farm. Her adoptive father is an engineer and religious preacher, and her adoptive mother is a school superintendent, and the video she has made shows scenes from their life in rural Illinois.

She co-wrote this song

There is a more detailed write-up on her, in this English blog, where I found this information;
    https://countryroutesnews.blogspot.c...le-review.html
    rainbow1 and txacar like this.

Concert Stars
    She has a beautiful voice! I really like her. Very attractive too, I bet she has a likable personality!
    Farawayhills and txacar like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    We know that women artists have a hard task breaking through - and that is likely to be even more the case for women from minority backgrounds.

This is a talented artist, who I believe deserves to succeed. She has been featured on our Country TV channel, Keep It Country, but has yet to gain recognition at home, where she has been trying to raise funds to record an EP. Her name is Shawney Damisch, and she is performing under just her first name. She has had an unusual journey in life, as she and her younger siblings were orphaned and abandoned in Chicago, after some gang-related incidents. They were adopted into a mixed race family, who owned a farm. Her adoptive father is an engineer and religious preacher, and her adoptive mother is a school superintendent, and the video she has made shows scenes from their life in rural Illinois.

She co-wrote this song

There is a more detailed write-up on her, in this English blog, where I found this information;
    https://countryroutesnews.blogspot.c...le-review.html
    This is such a sweet, nostalgic sounding song. Thanks the for the introduction!
    rainbow1, Farawayhills and txacar like this.

I don't know a lot about this artist and haven't read a lot about her yet but I feel like this song shows her as a worthy addition to the country music female community. The video of the song puts alcoholism as the subject matter but the lyrics of the song are relatable for anyone who thinks they have skeletons in their closet. Love the impassioned vocals.
    Farawayhills and txacar like this.

^ A powerful song, and I really like her voice. She directed that video herself, and the little girl in it is her niece. (Her Progressive-Traditional styled "Bloodline" is also worth listening to). Apparently, she's been introduced on radio by Bobby Bones.

Her stage name is Harper Grae (née Shanna Henderson). You can read about her, and why she changed her name here (Harper is the name of the grandparents who brought her up, and "Grae" is an acronym for "God Redeems All Equally"):
    https://eu.tennessean.com/story/ente...ume/643182001/
    txacar, oldyfan, Smokyiiis and 1 others like this.

https://www.lennyletter.com/story/ma...-country-music

Maren Morris wrote an article for this publication and I absolutely love how she has expressed herself! Regardless of whether someone agrees with this or not, I think it's just powerful for women to express themselves however they want, especially in circles where they are constantly being relegated to the corner.

She has also released the lead single to her sophomore album. She wrote this as a conversation with herself.

txacar likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Momin View Post
    https://www.lennyletter.com/story/ma...-country-music

Maren Morris wrote an article for this publication and I absolutely love how she has expressed herself! Regardless of whether someone agrees with this or not, I think it's just powerful for women to express themselves however they want, especially in circles where they are constantly being relegated to the corner.

She has also released the lead single to her sophomore album. She wrote this as a conversation with herself.

I agree strongly with what you say about women expressing their artistic vision in the way they want, and deserving support for that. For that reason, I hope Maren continues to get the success I think her talent deserves. As a personal reaction, I do have mixed feelings in the extent to which I can really get into her work. In some respects, I have a similar reaction to, let's say, Sam Hunt - I often admire what such artists are expressing, for its innovation and willingness to draw on varied strands of Southern influences - but find much of it rather distant from my own musical tastes. One thing that I most admire about Carrie is her efforts to blend the wider influences she draws on with clear homage to Country Music tradition (to take an example - "Low" contains obvious influence from Hank's "Moaning the Blues", which came out 66 years earlier!). I find much less of that explicit reference in Maren's work. Although she gets little credit or recognition for it (probably because she is so closely identified as the female star of Music Row), Carrie is a much more "traditional" Country artist in her overall artistic approach and persona. But not every artist has to be, and I can still acknowledge Maren's talent and originality. And I do prefer the approach she shows in the new track you posted to the more Mainstream Pop style adopted by some of the Country artists in the '90s and early 2000s
    txacar and Momin like this.

I have recently got around listen to Brandi Carlile. These songs are so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z865nKpgH0Q
    Farawayhills likes this.

With a heavy heart, I have to mention major allegations of abusive and exploitative behaviour in relation to women artists, made by multiple complainants, against one of the leading figures in Alt Country and Rock. They are contained in a detailed article in the New York Times
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/13/a...women-sex.html

Although I've posted videos here by Ryan Adams and have discussed his influence on Taylor Swift's work, my interest in him was largely in his early days as a member of Whiskeytown, and in classic songs like "Oh My Sweet Carolina" - and I stopped following him some years ago (for reasons that are minor compared to this). I'd ask people, though, to spare a thought for his closer fans. One of my Twitter friends, for example, felt absolutely devastated by this news, which she compared to realizing you've been in a toxic relationship for twenty years, and feeling she had to say sorry herself to the victims.

The allegations have been researched , and appear credible. Someone on Twitter asked Jason Isbell if he believed them, and he replied simply "yes". Elizabeth Cook tweeted "stand strong, ladies". This particular scandal may mainly be felt in the Alternative sector - but I think many people are sure it is also systematic in the Mainstream industry - and that Nashville is so far not facing up to the issue.

New Carrie Fan

Anyone seen the music video by Loretta Lynn yet? This music video by Loretta Lynn is pure awesomeness!

This is my top favorite music video by her besides her videos Miss Being Mrs. & Coal Miner's Daughter with Miranda Lambert and Sheryl Crow.
    lizcarlo likes this.

Just listened to her cd Walk Through Fire. It was so good! .. It has 70's nostalgia in my opinion.

Last edited by lizcarlo; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:38 AM.
    txacar and lolita55 like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    with all the talk of women getting the short end of the deal in country music country aircheck thought this headline was a good idea ,smh

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Oh man, that headline is disgusting!!!
    rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    with all the talk of women getting the short end of the deal in country music country aircheck thought this headline was a good idea ,smh

I don't even know what to say. Guess my feeling is akin to road rage.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    With a heavy heart, I have to mention major allegations of abusive and exploitative behaviour in relation to women artists, made by multiple complainants, against one of the leading figures in Alt Country and Rock. They are contained in a detailed article in the New York Times
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/13/a...women-sex.html

Although I've posted videos here by Ryan Adams and have discussed his influence on Taylor Swift's work, my interest in him was largely in his early days as a member of Whiskeytown, and in classic songs like "Oh My Sweet Carolina" - and I stopped following him some years ago (for reasons that are minor compared to this). I'd ask people, though, to spare a thought for his closer fans. One of my Twitter friends, for example, felt absolutely devastated by this news, which she compared to realizing you've been in a toxic relationship for twenty years, and feeling she had to say sorry herself to the victims.

The allegations have been researched , and appear credible. Someone on Twitter asked Jason Isbell if he believed them, and he replied simply "yes". Elizabeth Cook tweeted "stand strong, ladies". This particular scandal may mainly be felt in the Alternative sector - but I think many people are sure it is also systematic in the Mainstream industry - and that Nashville is so far not facing up to the issue.
    I'm not too familiar with Ryan Adams' work, even though I know of him generally. The incidents that women have described (as well as other instances I read on Wikipedia about him losing his temper) seem to correlate. Unfortunately, such behaviour is prevalent in every industry and when it comes to show business, predators are able to hide much better. Good thing is that people are speaking up and finally these abusers and harassers can be held accountable. I say, let's get them out of here.

She is so talented. Here is couple new songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQHecBZTx-Q
    Momin and Farawayhills like this.

Oh my God. I'm no struggling musician but this song breaks my heart.

Btw there are 10 female acts in the top 40 right now. That's perhaps the most we've had in a long, long time.

#12 Carrie Underwood - "Love Wins"
    #15 Kelsea Ballerini - "Miss Me More"
    #25 Runaway June - "Buy My Own Drinks"
    #27 Maren Morris - "Girl"
    #30 Lindsay Ell (featured on Brantley Gilbert's song) - "What Happens in a Small Town"
    #32 Hilary Lindsey (featured on Randy Houser's song) - "What Whiskey Does"
    #33 Maddie & Tae - "Friends Don't"
    #36 Carly Pearce - "Closer to You"
    #39 Kacey Musgraves - "Rainbow" (FINALLY!!!)
    #40 Tenille Townes - "Somebody's Daughter"

Beyond this:

#43 Lauren Alaina - "Ladies in the 90's"
    Farawayhills and carolinagirl like this.

I think Hailey Whitters is a wonderful artist, who deserves to be more widely known. I was very impressed with her debut album, "Black Sheep" (tracks like "One More Hell" and "Long Come To Jesus" are well worth checking out). I'm hoping that this new track will be the forerunner of a second album - though I don't have details of that. This track is one she co-wrote with Brandy Clark, and, as you say, it really touches the heart, in its tale of perseverance in the face of rejection by the music business. Much of her first album was inspired by the death of her brother, and she can certainly bring a lot of believable emotion to her storylines.

Hailey records and publishes her songs through Carnival Music (Frank Liddell's company), and the stylistic influence of Miranda Lambert and her musical circle can be heard in much of her work. She is also a talented songwriter, and has already had a song recorded by Little Big Town, and another due for release soon on an Alan Jackson album. In the video above, her expressive voice, not overstated, but able to cut the emotions; the relatively sparse musical arrangement; and the haunting slide in the background work very well - and I've seen other artists and songwriters commenting on it admiringly
    Momin and carolinagirl like this.

That's amazing songwriting and singing.

•  
    Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast