Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Like Tree397Likes

Thread: Women in Country Music

Concert Stars
    ^Carrie and Kelly were my first thought, too. Would love that!
    Smokyiiis likes this.

New Carrie Fan
    I think this is an article that everyone should read: https://www.goldderby.com/article/20...ews-864279351/

It's sad and I was shocked when I saw this year's nominations for that category, and it's something that really has to change.
    Josh and mofan like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Runaway View Post
    I think this is an article that everyone should read: https://www.goldderby.com/article/20...ews-864279351/

It's sad and I was shocked when I saw this year's nominations for that category, and it's something that really has to change.
    I think things would have been different had the Industry been giving Carrie all of the credit that she deserved all of these years. But they haven't, she has always gotten less nominations than she deserved.

They also messed up by giving Miranda too many nominations and awards, which has in my opinion stopped the development and growth of other female country artists.

Sadly though it will take 20 years for them to figure this out.
    mofan likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Courtney Marie Andrews has just released a powerful new single - not yet an album track, and issued as a self standing special song. Called "Heart and Mind", it celebrates motherhood and sisterhood, protests against abuse, and the objectifying of women as the embodiment of socially and sexually defined roles, instead of having a heart and mind of their own.

She says she wrote the song in ten minutes, at a truck stop, saying that's how some songs emerge, fully delivered, and you have to write them as they come. She gives the occasion of writing it a specific political context, which I won't refer to directly here, to avoid that becoming the subject of a partisan controversy, as I believe the song itself has a more general meaning, that goes beyond a debate over any individual. (However, I'm not seeking to censor her comments, and anyone wanting to read her statement in full can find it at the link).
    https://www.stereogum.com/2013730/co...nd-mind/music/

The reviewer says of it "The song sounds amazing, with some heavily delayed guitar and some windswept organ, and with Andrews singing the absolute hell out of every syllable." To my mind, it's one of the strongest songs I've heard this year. The link also includes the new official video - I have posted an earlier live performance

A great, soulful performance by Caitlyn Smith, on Seth Meyers' show a few days ago

lizcarlo, txacar, Momin and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    Courtney Marie Andrews has just released a powerful new single - not yet an album track, and issued as a self standing special song. Called "Heart and Mind", it celebrates motherhood and sisterhood, protests against abuse, and the objectifying of women as the embodiment of socially and sexually defined roles, instead of having a heart and mind of their own.

She says she wrote the song in ten minutes, at a truck stop, saying that's how some songs emerge, fully delivered, and you have to write them as they come. She gives the occasion of writing it a specific political context, which I won't refer to directly here, to avoid that becoming the subject of a partisan controversy, as I believe the song itself has a more general meaning, that goes beyond a debate over any individual. (However, I'm not seeking to censor her comments, and anyone wanting to read her statement in full can find it at the link).
    https://www.stereogum.com/2013730/co...nd-mind/music/

The reviewer says of it "The song sounds amazing, with some heavily delayed guitar and some windswept organ, and with Andrews singing the absolute hell out of every syllable." To my mind, it's one of the strongest songs I've heard this year. The link also includes the new official video - I have posted an earlier live performance

I came across Courtney Marie Andrews on YouTube by happenstance. I love some of the songs from her recent record. This one's really heartfelt as well. Thank you for sharing this Faraway!

Came across this artist, thanks to Rolling Stone.

This is what they've written about her, "The unlucky owner of a wandering beau and a broken heart, Kimberly Kelly calls a spade a spade with her newest single. “When you fall into her arms, darling, that’s called ‘cheating’ — and when I start walking out that door, baby, that’s called ‘leaving,'” she sings, sweetening the frank melody with swooning strings and plenty of Texas twang. A modern tune rooted in old-school sounds, “Some Things Have a Name” nods to the Countrypolitan hits of the late Sixties, back when crooners like Glen Campbell dressed up their music with lush orchestral arrangements."

Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    Thanks for that interesting find, Donna.

There are some Re Mattei songs on You Tube, but not that one yet, as far as i could see. Judging by her earlier work, her musical style is Progressive - leaning more to Americana than Mainstream radio material.

Of Carrie's two co-writers on the song, I'm not familiar with Don Poythress' work, but he appears to be associated with the Contemporary Christian Music scene. Barry Dean is a fellow Okie, who co-wrote Carrie's "Crazy Dreams" (one of my favourite early Carrie songs). He also has had numerous Country songs with other artists, and has often collaborated with Lori McKenna.
    I wasn't able to find the full song anywhere (it is available on Spotify and iTunes, both which are not available in my country).

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fe...gle/1423717401

But I was able to listen to an excerpt of 1:30. I'd definitely like to know everyone's thoughts.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    rainbow1 likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Junior Carrie Follower
    Caitlyn Smith is amazing. I was hoping for Carrie to release music like "This Town is Killing Me" ever since I heard it like 2 years ago? But, oh well. I also cannot believe Ed Sheeran mentioned her. Hopefully her sound becomes more popular.

There's an interesting article on the radio situation from blogger Josh, who runs the site Fusion Country.

He uses a statistical analysis of chart topping songs by female artists to test three theories:
    1. That women artists largely avoided the "trends" that dominated radio playlists in different periods of the years being surveyed (two prominent examples being Patriot Country, in the post-9/11 and overseas wars era, and Bro Country, more recently)
    2. That women artists suffered from the collapse of traditional Rock stations, which led many mainly male listeners to transfer to Country stations, and the programmers to concentrate on serving them.
    3. That women artists suffered from the increasing concentration of radio in a few large networks after the Telecommunications Act, which led to an increased homogenizing of playlists, limiting the number of artists and musical styles played.

He argues that the figures give strong support to the first two theories, and more weakly suggest the third (but more detailed research is needed to confirm that).

The detail is worth reading for additional insights.

(His conclusion will be agreed by many who support his Fusion Country stylistic preference (basically, opposing a dogmatic adherence to Traditional Country, and veering to Roots Progression, by allowing tradition to evolve through drawing on mixed musical influences) - but may not sit so well with some Mainstream supporters, who still see radio as a main arbiter of success in the genre. He says:
    "Everybody in the country music community needs to leave radio in the dust. It’s a useless relic of the past that no longer serves a purpose towards the audience and certainly not towards women artists.")

https://fusioncountrymusic.com/2018/...country-radio/

Concert Stars
    I think he may very well have hit the nail on the head. It’s certainly very logical.
    Now how do we fix it?
    rainbow1 likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokyiiis View Post
    I think he may very well have hit the nail on the head. It’s certainly very logical.
    Now how do we fix it?
    I think their teams need to figure out how to really amp up streaming or whatever other outlets exist. They may never be able to fix country radio. So, they either need to promote to other radio formats or figure out streaming, which sucks in general for country artists right now, with the exception of a few breakout hit songs.
    rainbow1 likes this.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Umm. I'm in love with this song. I think Maddie and Tae have given a very different perspective on a breakup song, one that I at least have not heard on country radio before. It's heartfelt, emotional and real. I love the tender vocals that sound tired and in need of help and in need of some parental comfort. The way they ask their mother and father both for help. I loooove the songwriting here!

I think they're amazingly talented - they have one of the best sounds that currently has even a shot at Mainstream success. Their voices have always cut me to the core, and I admire their understanding of and loyalty to Country sounds and instrumentation. This is a very powerful song, and I agree, it's both unusual and full of insight. The girls co-wrote it with Jonathan Singleton and Deric Ruttan.

Their first record label collapsed, leaving them with an uncertain future - but fortunately they were picked up by Mercury. Their forthcoming (second) album will be a concept album (i.e. the songs will be linked through a related theme, that comes from an unfolding story line). They say:
    "It's through the eyes of a relationship; in the beginning of the record, the first song is 'Friends Don't,' then there are a couple songs about not knowing if you're in it or not. Then, they're in it to win it, and they're in love, so there are a couple in-love songs. Then, it goes into the heartbreak, where the relationship ends, and the character is heartbroken and lost. Then, the end of the record, there are a couple of redemption songs, where she's finding her confidence and ain't takin' no crap, basically."

https://popculture.com/country-music...nderwood-tour/
    Hil, rainbow1 and Kizmet311 like this.

Thanks for the excerpt! Read that on Rolling Stone too. I'm eagerly waiting for their album.
    Farawayhills likes this.

Rachel Wammack is one of two young women that Sony Nashville are currently hoping to develop as their next generation of artists (the other being Tennille Townes, who recently toured with Miranda)

Rachel is from Muscle Shoals, and pays tribute to the strong Blues and Country influences of Northern Alabama. She cites Carrie as one of her principal musical influences, along with Otis Redding, Adele and Sam Smith. ("Before He Cheats" was Carrie's most Muscle Shoals influenced early song, though Carrie's new album contains significant further moves in that direction). She has been writing since she was 12, and was signed to Sony's publishing wing at 17, after they heard her performing at a local event. It was five more years before they also signed her to a recording deal, and her debut single "Damage" is currently in the 50s on the Billboard Country Airplay chart. She co-wrote the song with Tom Douglas (who also co-wrote "Forever Changed" and "Ghosts on the Stereo"), and David Hodges (who also co-wrote "See You Again" and "What Can I Say")

It's an unusual song - the "damage" is what love sometimes causes, and the story line is built around the confessions that bartenders hear from their customers. I think Rachel is impressive, and would potentially be a distinctive addition to the radio playlists, if her song can make further progress.

These are the lyrics:

"I'm a bartender
    Best friend pretender
    I make drinks to help forget and help remember
    Beautiful humans
    I am a student
    And I've seen it from all sides winning and losing

Oh, and love can do
    Love can do
    Love can do
    Some damage

She was his first wife
    She was his whole life
    He whispers through the whiskey that I've got her eyes
    And then the others
    The cancer, the mother
    And the prodigal just trying to find some shelter

Oh, love can do
    Love can do
    Love can do
    Some damage

Oh, love can do
    Love can do
    Love can do
    Some damage

Oh I listen and I smile
    The breaking up to making up to walking down the isle
    We try to manage
    From the cradle to the grave
    Getting lost and getting saved
    Love's always been the same in any language

I'm a bartender
    If you came in here
    I'd pretend that I've forgotten to remember
    All of the beauty
    Beautiful ruins
    And tonight I'll make a toast to me and you and

And all that love can do
    Love can do
    Love can do
    Some damage

Oh, all that love can do
    I still love you
    Love can do
    Some damage
    Oh, some damage"

This is Rachel, in a live performance:

rainbow1, Smokyiiis and lizcarlo like this.

•  
    Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213