Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Like Tree367Likes

Thread: Women in Country Music

Concert Stars
    ^^Very familiar with this beautiful piece of music. I hope more people will take the time to listen. She's got a very appealing voice that's crisp and mellow. Her phrasing is exquisite.
    Farawayhills likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    this woman is releasing a song written by Carrie several years ago

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Thanks for that interesting find, Donna.

There are some Re Mattei songs on You Tube, but not that one yet, as far as i could see. Judging by her earlier work, her musical style is Progressive - leaning more to Americana than Mainstream radio material.

Of Carrie's two co-writers on the song, I'm not familiar with Don Poythress' work, but he appears to be associated with the Contemporary Christian Music scene. Barry Dean is a fellow Okie, who co-wrote Carrie's "Crazy Dreams" (one of my favourite early Carrie songs). He also has had numerous Country songs with other artists, and has often collaborated with Lori McKenna.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Hope we can hear it later!

There is a link on Pulse, last post, with a link to hear Feels Like It's Gonna Rain!!
    Last edited by maddkat; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:31 AM.
    txacar likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    ^^hi rainbow1: I sent you a visitor message.

*** sorry for the OT post
    rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    That version is done by THE HINKLEY's. Would love to hear Re Mattei's version.
    rainbow1 likes this.

For any fans in the UK/Ireland hoping to see the Brandi Carlile episode of Seth Myers that I mentioned a few posts back, I was mistaken in thinking it would air one day after the US screening. CNBC do carry the show - but not necessarily the next day. As far as i can work out, this episode will air here at 8 PM on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    I don't know if any of you have come across Emi Sunshine - she's still only 13, and has already appeared on the Opry at least a dozen times, had an original song in a film at the Cannes Film Festival, and performed with Loretta Lynn, Holly Williams and Marty Stuart, among others. Her real name is Emilie Sunshine Hamilton, and she writes many of her songs, either alone, or with her mother. Her style is strongly influenced by traditional Appalachian music (She's from Madisonville, in East Tennessee, which is about midway between Maryville and the Georgia border), with Outlaw Country Hippie touches (a mixture very close to my heart!), and she can sing Spirituals with a wail that's been compared to a young Janis Joplin.

Emi describes her style as "torn and ragged music, with honest lyrics and lonesome tones." and says "I like to write about the underdog; I write about life struggles, disabilities and the homeless, and the less fortunate. I also like to write about murder, suicide, and cheatin’....I like the ‘shock’ factor.” This recent video, shot for the EP she issued last year, is for "American Dream" - a song with a strong message, which she co-wrote with her mother.

There are a number of concerts by Emi, ranging from about half an hour to nearly two hours, on You Tube, if anyone wants to explore further, beginning with a performance on Music City Roots when she was only ten - and already showed what I consider a remarkable singing voice. She's usually accompanied by her father, Randall Hamilton on bass, another relative, John Hamilton on mandolin, and Uncle Bobby Hill on drums
    Wait, WHAT? This must be fake hahaha! I can't believe a thirteen year old can have such a mature musical palette and write these lyrics.

Of course, that's just my disbelief and shock. I'm quite impressed by the production and her vocals. From what I've read in this post, it seems like she's onto a fantastic start already and has been fortunate to learn from renowned figures in the country genre. Let's see what she'll do in another thirteen years.

The single is called "Nervous Breakdown", and was written by Shane McAnally, Brandy Clark, Kacey Musgraves and Trevor Rosen (which suggests to me that it may have been written some time ago, when the McAnally/Clark partnership were involved in Kacey's debut album - it even includes a lyrical near-reference to another of their co-writes, "Mama's Broken Heart")
    I think I might have enjoyed this song more if I hadn't already heard Mama's Broken Heart, heh! Many parts of this reminds me of it and I can't help but make that parallel.

News that Carrie is headlining the Long Road Festival has prompted me to give a shout to one of the other performers - Ashley Campbell (who is, I think the eighth, and youngest child from Glen Campbell's four marriages). Ashley has made quite an impact here, after appearing on one of speciality stages at C2C last year, she's returned to play on the main stage, as well as at this new festival. In this video, she's appearing on one of America's most traditional shows, Country Family Reunion, with Carl Jackson, performing John Hartford's classic tale of the haunting call of a drifter's memories of love, "Gentle On My Mind" - a song made famous by her father

I only heard of Ashley Campbell when Glen Campbell was very ill (or maybe he had already passed away?) when she released 'Remembering'. Does anyone know if she used to write or perform before that too?

And this is her latest single, which is gaining attention for its female "empowerment" theme - she says she wrote this about two years ago. The video makes a number of references to Elvis Presley's 1968 Comeback era - sitting down with the guitarists and percussionists for that opening jam is a bold classic touch, which must take some confidence - and it's followed by some interesting progressive music.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcBUNClV9T8
    I really like the video. I think the lyrics and the video itself are very age-appropriate as well, given how a lot of young people in the music industry are made to grow up really quickly, featuring lyrics and actors in their videos that seem forced and unfitting for that age. I don't know if it's me being gay that allows me to relate to the lyrics or that I can simple enjoy the mature youthfulness of the song, either way, I think this is one I'll be tapping my feet to.

Quote Originally Posted by lizcarlo View Post
    I love this! The simplicity of the video, her tender vocals and the production of the song. Anybody know more about this woman?
    txacar likes this.

I finally got the time to catch up with this thread and see what ya'll have been posting here. Thanks Lizcarlo, Smokyiis and Faraway, and others, for keeping this thread active and sharing thoughts, knowledge and good music. Blessed is the gift of song that can instigate evergreen conversations!
    lizcarlo and txacar like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Momin View Post
    I love this! The simplicity of the video, her tender vocals and the production of the song. Anybody know more about this woman?
    https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/a...rmer/#comments

Sinclair has been writing and performing since she was 11 in the band All The Little Pieces. It was falling head first into the allure of the landmark Trio album combining Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt, and Emmylou Harris that inspired Rhyan’s country music roots to rise to the surface and manifest themselves in a way that felt less like a lark, and more like a lifelong passion to be pursued. What started out to be a tribute project to Trio gave rise to an album’s worth of original songs and a passion to want to share them, eventually resulting in her debut solo album Barnstormer
    txacar likes this.

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/k...osia/#comments

Originally from working class Atlanta, Murray spent six year playing country and bluegrass music in Colorado, and released her first record Unravelin’ in 2013. Moving to Nashville the next year in full pursuit of a country music career, she’s been willing to hustle with day jobs, writing music with her 1963 Gibson J-45 at night, saving up money, clawing forward, and doing what she can to make her dream come alive. Murray funded the recording and production of Southern Ambrosia herself.

How Tall The Glass: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evn3an-STWc

Rough Corners (this is from "Unravelin" 2013 album): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O6tReUYYRs
    txacar likes this.

The Things We Were Taught Are Too Small : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8wd7vxvmRg

New Ways to Fail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDypx0_8eaY
    txacar likes this.

NPR have compiled a list of 200 songs by women (and non-binary artists) which they believe have made a statement changing perceptions of women in society in the 21st Century. It spans multiple musical genres, and involves several music writers - so, like all such lists, the choices are often personal, and the rankings debatable - but I think there is a lot of interesting material here:

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/30/62739...y-women-part-1

Carrie makes the list, with "Before He Cheats" - but one other inclusion that rather surprised and pleased me was Abigail Washburn's "City of Refuge". (I remember Abigail playing banjo in the all-women Old Time group, Uncle Earl - I once wrote a web page about that group, but that seems a long time ago now!)

"Adam's on the roof and Eve is in the gutter
    Eden's on the far side
    Where the circle started
    Run, run, run
    Run to the City of Refuge
    Where everyone is made new"
    lizcarlo and txacar like this.

This just left me breathless! Courtney Marie Andrews singing "Long Road Back To You", the closing track of her current album, "May Your Kindness Remain" (which topped the Americana charts in both the UK and Europe, and helped her win International Artist of the Year at the UK Americana awards.) Easy to see why her beautiful voice and thematic sincerity have won the hearts of Roots fans on this side of the Atlantic. The evocative electric slide on this video is played by Dillon Warnek.

https://www.vuhaus.com/videos/courtn...-festival-2018
    rainbow1 and txacar like this.

•  
    Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112