Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Like Tree397Likes

Thread: Women in Country Music

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I don't know if any of you have come across Emi Sunshine - she's still only 13, and has already appeared on the Opry at least a dozen times, had an original song in a film at the Cannes Film Festival, and performed with Loretta Lynn, Holly Williams and Marty Stuart, among others. Her real name is Emilie Sunshine Hamilton, and she writes many of her songs, either alone, or with her mother. Her style is strongly influenced by traditional Appalachian music (She's from Madisonville, in East Tennessee, which is about midway between Maryville and the Georgia border), with Outlaw Country Hippie touches (a mixture very close to my heart!), and she can sing Spirituals with a wail that's been compared to a young Janis Joplin.

Emi describes her style as "torn and ragged music, with honest lyrics and lonesome tones." and says "I like to write about the underdog; I write about life struggles, disabilities and the homeless, and the less fortunate. I also like to write about murder, suicide, and cheatin’....I like the ‘shock’ factor.” This recent video, shot for the EP she issued last year, is for "American Dream" - a song with a strong message, which she co-wrote with her mother.

There are a number of concerts by Emi, ranging from about half an hour to nearly two hours, on You Tube, if anyone wants to explore further, beginning with a performance on Music City Roots when she was only ten - and already showed what I consider a remarkable singing voice. She's usually accompanied by her father, Randall Hamilton on bass, another relative, John Hamilton on mandolin, and Uncle Bobby Hill on drums

Just heard Liberty by Lindi Ortega. She delivers such quality music and is so talented.

Momin likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    DaisyTweets and Smokyiiis like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Concert Stars
    So friggin' sad too because a lot of women have really good music out right now.
    txacar likes this.

Some American Idol fans with fairly long memories may recall a then 17 year old Sarah Restuccio covering both Carrie's "Mama's Song", and a very competent Rap song, in the same audition, leading to a prolonged judges' debate.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IopnU7-mt0s

Sarah still uses her family name as a songwriter, but goes under the shorter name of Sarah Ross, as a performing artist. I've long regarded her as an interesting and talented singer (though the difficulty of shoe-horning her into one of the Mainstream styles may have narrowed her general appeal). Hopefully, an EP coming out next month will attract new support. It will consist of five songs, three of them being her own co-writes. (Rap is a divisive style - not least on this board - although it has long antecedents in Country Music's Talking Blues styles, including examples from some of the genre's legends. I can't say how much of that influence will survive onto Sarah's new EP - the lead single contains no actual modern Rap, but does retain more toned down "talk singing").

The single is called "Nervous Breakdown", and was written by Shane McAnally, Brandy Clark, Kacey Musgraves and Trevor Rosen (which suggests to me that it may have been written some time ago, when the McAnally/Clark partnership were involved in Kacey's debut album - it even includes a lyrical near-reference to another of their co-writes, "Mama's Broken Heart")

The music draws heavily on Progressive Roots - a Country Rock influenced style I admire, but which may not sit so easily with some Neo-Traditional or Pop-Country fans. To my ears, there are echoes of both Carrie's and Miranda's musical styles, though the overall effect is original. The combination of the music, the lyrical references, and Sarah's atmospheric vocal give this song a modern Gothic feel - and I'm certainly interested in hearing the EP, out next month.

txacar likes this.

This is a random set of coincidences that struck me - Sarah Darling has a song out called "Wasted", which references alcohol, and was produced by Mark Bright (smile)

I like Sarah's gentle, emotive style - and this song (which she says was written some ten years ago, and recently revived on tour in the UK, leading to a recording) is rather darker than others of hers, and she says was inspired by difficulties a friend was going through in marriage.

News that Carrie is headlining the Long Road Festival has prompted me to give a shout to one of the other performers - Ashley Campbell (who is, I think the eighth, and youngest child from Glen Campbell's four marriages). Ashley has made quite an impact here, after appearing on one of speciality stages at C2C last year, she's returned to play on the main stage, as well as at this new festival. In this video, she's appearing on one of America's most traditional shows, Country Family Reunion, with Carl Jackson, performing John Hartford's classic tale of the haunting call of a drifter's memories of love, "Gentle On My Mind" - a song made famous by her father

rainbow1, txacar and Momin like this.

Concert Stars
    Congratulations to Jana Kramer on your pregnancy! Wishing you all the best! A rainbow baby!
    Last edited by Smokyiiis; 06-26-2018 at 07:44 PM.

I don't know if any of you have come across Tegan Marie - she became a You Tube star with a series of self made covers, and was taken up by joint managers Veronica Zelle and Frank Simonetti, who run Sweety High, a web site aimed at Teen and Tween Girls. They got her a record deal at Warner as soon as she turned thirteen - becoming the youngest signing with a major label since Tanya Tucker, 45 years ago. She's appeared on the Grand Ole Opry, and on a PBS special in a tribute to Smokey Robinson, and has raised a large amount of money for young victims of the lead polluted water supply in her home town of Flint, Michigan. Now 14, her advance singles for Warner are being produced by Scott Hendricks (Blake Shelton) and Nathan Chapman (early Taylor Swift). Her joint manager, Veronica Zelle, is responsible for directing some imaginative videos. Tegan's very early start in music (as a child, well before the You Tube days), and her already considerable experience in songwriting, have given her considerable confidence. Some are predicting she will become a major new force in the narrowly accessible field of female commercial Country.

This was her cover of Carrie's "Mama's Song", at age 12
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geZuafwTBtk

This is a recent live performance, showing considerable verve in Country Rock, in a song she wrote, which references several classic song titles
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIc6hLWn6Qw

And this is her latest single, which is gaining attention for its female "empowerment" theme - she says she wrote this about two years ago. The video makes a number of references to Elvis Presley's 1968 Comeback era - sitting down with the guitarists and percussionists for that opening jam is a bold classic touch, which must take some confidence - and it's followed by some interesting progressive music.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcBUNClV9T8
    rainbow1, Smokyiiis and Momin like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    another former Idol is trying their hand at country - Jessica Meuse with "Thank God It Didn't Work"
    Jessica Meuse ? Thank God It Didn?t Work | Daily Play MPE®

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    another former Idol is trying their hand at country - Jessica Meuse with "Thank God It Didn't Work"
    Jessica Meuse ? Thank God It Didn?t Work | Daily Play MPE®
    Wonder how well she'll do with a label based in LA and not in Nashville???? I don't remember her at all. Guess I wasn't paying attention during that season.

rainbow1 likes this.

Momin likes this.

Momin likes this.

This archive material is from an interview Lily May Ledford gave shortly before her death. The material, as presented, is rather peculiar, as it shows numerous takes of the same segment, as the program directors tried to get the version of the interview and the song that they wanted for their film - hence involving numerous slightly different repetitions from the from the long suffering, but politely patient participants. For that reason, it takes a long time to get to the main account of her life and work - but I think the beginning is particularly relevant to the topic in this thread.

Lily May's answer differs in detail each time the directors make her repeat it, but I've tried to put together a transcript of her main points about the difficulties of women performers in the 1930s

"I tell you, it could get pretty rough. There weren't many women in the business, it was mainly the men and the boys, and they felt very much in the saddle - and they were. But a few of us managed to edge in, occasionally. We met with some hostility from the more polished musicians. They'd worked so hard to perfect their [music], and they saw mine as rough - they could tease, torment and be insulting. But our music was rougher than theirs, and we were getting more fans, and drawing bigger crowds than they could, so I could see why they felt justified, I guess, in giving us a hard time. But anyway, down through those 48 years, more and more girls came into the music, and they began to accept us".

Lily May Ledford was a significant artist in Country Music history - the group of which she was the lead singer and banjo player, the Coon Creek Girls, were the first commercially successful all-women string band, who went on to perform for President Roosevelt, and King George VI and Queen Elizabeth (the late Queen Mother). This interview took place at Renfro Valley KY, where the Barn Dance has been one of the most important radio shows in traditional music. The younger woman interviewing and performing with her is Cathy Fink, and the song they perform is "Charming Betsy" (which was one of the very first recorded Country songs, in a 1925 version, by Fiddlin' John Carson, and which has been performed many times, with some variations in the lyrics, by both Black and White traditional musicians)

lizcarlo, rainbow1 and Momin like this.

"God bless the boys that make the noise?" But it's often the girls that save the show....
    Blake Shelton falls down on stage, taking a microphone stand with him, later admitting he'd been drinking a lot. Jenée Fleenor shows once again why she's such an asset to that band

rainbow1, txacar and lizcarlo like this.

This may be of interest to some: Late Night with Seth Meyers is featuring separate guest performances by Miranda Lambert and Brandi Carlile on the next two nights: Working out the scheduling is a little difficult from a distance, but if I have it right, Miranda's will be on NBC in the US on Wed 18th July, and on CNBC the following day in Europe. Brandi's will be on NBC on Thurs 19th July, and in Europe on CNBC the next day.

Concert Stars
    Don't know how many of you are familiar with Donna Taggart but I've followed her for a few years and one of my favorites is Jealous of the Angels. Check it out.

Farawayhills likes this.

Concert Stars
    I wasn't sure where to put her since she's really more in line with a Christian singer but it also, at least to me, has a country vibe and undertone.

Donna has had a lot of attention for that beautiful version, which is actually a cover of an original song by Jenn Bostic, who was commemorating the death of her father, in a car crash in which she was travelling, as a child. Jenn is actually American - though she has achieved much of her success over here. This is Jenn's webpage:
    Jenn Bostic

Both artists do identify as Country singer-songwriters here, and appear at Country events - though their music is accessible across genre boundaries. Donna Taggart is Northern Irish - and this is another recording she has made (written by Irish singer Foy Vance, who also co-wrote the lovely, but doomed, elegy "Pushin' Time",on The Weight of These Wings, which i guess may now be rather too painful to perform). Donna is from Omagh, a town which experienced a terrible bomb attack in the troubles, and a children's choir from the town also appear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg3ezC0Vgjo
    Smokyiiis likes this.

Concert Stars
    ^^Very familiar with this beautiful piece of music. I hope more people will take the time to listen. She's got a very appealing voice that's crisp and mellow. Her phrasing is exquisite.

•  
    Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast