Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree373Likes

Thread: Women in Country Music

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    ^^^ very sad.......
    rainbow1 likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    and this BS was in a saving country music article

when called out on it there was this response
    @KyleCoroneos
    Went out of my way to mention how women are part of this movement, and get attacked for sexism. Sorry, but I'm from Texas where it's a sign of respect to compliment women. Sorry if chivalry=misogyny to some, but I don't subscribe. Point your venom to the actual offending parties.

chivalry ,lol ,there is a time and place for chivalry.An article about the state of country music isn't it.

it's never gonna change :-(

and then there's this from the Recording Academy president Neil Portnow

women need to 'step up'

“It has to begin with… women who have the creativity in their hearts and souls, who want to be musicians, who want to be engineers, producers, and want to be part of the industry on the executive level… [They need] to step up because I think they would be welcome. I don’t have personal experience of those kinds of brick walls that you face but I think it’s upon us — us as an industry — to make the welcome mat very obvious, breeding opportunities for all people who want to be creative and paying it forward and creating that next generation of artists.”
    2018 Grammys So Male? ?Women Need to Step Up,? Says Academy President ? Variety

Last edited by maddkat; 01-29-2018 at 07:21 AM.
    rainbow1 and Gator like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Concert Stars
    Yeah, all they need is Taylor Swift, to make every thing Ok!!!!! We could all tell them who they needed to help tremendously!!
    DizzyDollyDee likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Oh my god, is this how these people think...... Taylor Swift......

That article is so ignorant i could literally spit in the man's face...... Why don't he just join WME and their ignorance all these years....
    rainbow1 likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    The IBMA posted a birthday salute to Becky Buller today.

The style might not appeal to everyone here - but I thought I'd share it, for those who might enjoy it. It's a fine example of Roots Gospel Music - started off by just four notes on a guitar, then carried through a capella, old school, round a single mike - showing great trust in those voices. Lead by Becky Buller, with harmonies and counter singing by band members Daniel Hardin, Ned Luberecki, Dan Boner & Nate Lee

Congratulations to Arizona's Courtney Marie Andrews, who has won International Artist of the Year at the UK AMAs

(I love the way the mutual support between US artists and UK fans has grown to give regular performance opportunities to musical styles that can sometimes struggle to find airtime at home. Thanks to the DJs, show hosts, bloggers, reviewers, and the BBC in particular, who helped give publicity to this development)

Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    Congratulations to Arizona's Courtney Marie Andrews, who has won International Artist of the Year at the UK AMAs

(I love the way the mutual support between US artists and UK fans has grown to give regular performance opportunities to musical styles that can sometimes struggle to find airtime at home. Thanks to the DJs, show hosts, bloggers, reviewers, and the BBC in particular, who helped give publicity to this development)
    I recently came across this song by her. I never knew of her and instantly loved her with this:

Farawayhills and rainbow1 like this.

I've posted songs by Caitlyn Smith before, in other threads - she's made quite a mark as a songwriter, with about 500 titles, spanning both Country and Pop (John Legend and Meghan Trainor gave her her biggest selling success), She did write with Carrie, who, I think, does follow Caitlyn on Twitter, but those songs have not appeared on an album so far. After gaining cuts on the "Nashville" TV show, and releasing well received EPs., she has been signed by Shane McAnally for a full album release.
    Monument Records Revived by Country Songwriter Shane McAnally

Her album is called "Starfire" and it has been creating a strong critical buzz, being described by some reviewers as one of the best Country-Pop debuts of recent years (even the Triggerman, who seldom finds a good word for Pop-leaning material, enthused over it!)
    The tracks draw on the singer-songwriting and '90s power ballad traditions, and both the production (by Paul Moak) and Caitlyn's vocals and feel for a lyric have won praise.
    This is one of the more confessional, acoustic leaning songs that I particularly like:

rainbow1 and opry051008 like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I have listened to Starfire a couple of times after seeing Grady Smith tweet about it. It is quite a good album and she has a beautiful voice.
    rainbow1 and opry051008 like this.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Mary Chapin Carpenter hasn't been on radio for years ( and wasn't all that successful when she was - she had 1 #1) but if you haven't before give a listen.She has a new cd coming out of some of her songs re imagined - https://www.rollingstone.com/country...-shirt-w516459
    rainbow1, txacar and opry051008 like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Farawayhills and rainbow1 like this.

^ This is the advance release from Ashley's new album, "Sparrow", which is due in April. She co-wrote this song with Jon Randall (who also co-wrote Alison's "Whiskey Lullaby", Miranda's "Tin Man", and Carrie's much missed "Oklahoma Wind"). Production is by Dave Cobb - currently a leading figure on the Progressive Roots scene (he produces Jason Isbell and Chris Stapleton, among others). The music here is rather new territory for both of them - more lush, dreamy and cross-genre, with Soul/modern Blues/Adult Alternative influences. On the one hand, this seems a far cry from what Country Radio plays (though that has never really been receptive of most of Ashley's work) - while on the other hand, it's also a departure from Ashley's more traditional side. She's described Shelby Lynne, Glen Campbell and Elton John as influences on the sounds underlying the new album - and the production style as drawing on Rick Hall's work at the Fame Studios at Muscle Shoals.

This song has a steamy, erotic atmosphere - but the theme centres on a retrospective fantasy, with the narrator expressing regret that she never let the scenes expressed in the lyric actually happen. Ashley has what I consider one of the great expressive mood voices in modern Country (though her often understated and introspective delivery, which suits the Roots scene so well, isn't the singing style that many more Mainstream fans tend to prefer). I think it's also a gamble whether some of her Roots fans will take readily to the direction she's exploring in the music - though it certainly worked for me. I found it a very interesting development - and I'm looking forward to the album
    rainbow1, Kizmet311 and lizcarlo like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    How about that Ashley McByrde, "A Little Dive Bar in Dahlonga" , what a great song..... Nice to see it climbing the charts too.....
    Farawayhills likes this.

Sara Beth is a Contemporary Mainstream Country singer from Texas, who liked one of my posts and followed me on Twitter, so I thought I'd give her a mention (smile). She's made more of a mark so far in the UK, where she's had an EP release at number one on i-tunes, and has been both a performer and a presenter at the British CMAs.
    This is a short acoustic cover she posted of Carrie's "Blown Away" - I'm afraid I don't know the name of her accompanist, but I think the song still works well, stripped down from the production of the album track:

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    this is just sad and probably true

An industry insider (the late Deverati Ghosh) once told me her theory that one of the main reasons for women's struggle in country music was that people bought more alcohol at concerts by male artists.

@gradywsmith

She said that that may be a reason artists sing about drinking so much... not only to sell more alcohol at their shows, but also in the hope of scoring a major beverage sponsor like Bud Light, which can foot much of the touring cost.

Tours by male artists like Chris Young, Luke Bryan, or FGL are often sponsored by major beer brands. But big female artists like Carrie Underwood are more likely to land sponsorship deals with brands like Vitamin Water or Almay.

​also I miss windmills so much

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    this is just sad and probably true

An industry insider (the late Deverati Ghosh) once told me her theory that one of the main reasons for women's struggle in country music was that people bought more alcohol at concerts by male artists.

@gradywsmith

She said that that may be a reason artists sing about drinking so much... not only to sell more alcohol at their shows, but also in the hope of scoring a major beverage sponsor like Bud Light, which can foot much of the touring cost.

Tours by male artists like Chris Young, Luke Bryan, or FGL are often sponsored by major beer brands. But big female artists like Carrie Underwood are more likely to land sponsorship deals with brands like Vitamin Water or Almay.

​also I miss windmills so much

At least it is great to know that Carrie whoever sponsors her tours, she does amazingly well...... Sellouts......
    Carrieslegs84, rainbow1 and Gator like this.

One thing I love about Country Music is the huge range of styles it enfolds. The breadth and depth you can find beyond the radio is something that the Internet has made truly accessible

Everything evolves, but nothing gets forgotten. Years ago, when I first started posting on-line I remember some friends being unsure of the difference between Bluegrass and Old Time (understandable, because they're often lumped together in record racks and blogs). Bluegrass effectively took shape in the 1940s, with Bill Monroe, incorporating influence from both Black and White music, and has since evolved into a wide range of Progressive styles - some with affinities to Rock and Jazz. Old Time Mountain Music has kept more of its affinity to the original songs and entertainment brought over with the early settlers. Many Old Time performers are women - and the style has enthusiasts of all ages. This example is a new release:

https://bluegrasstoday.com/cold-moun...m-vivian-leva/
    lizcarlo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    One thing I love about Country Music is the huge range of styles it enfolds. The breadth and depth you can find beyond the radio is something that the Internet has made truly accessible

Everything evolves, but nothing gets forgotten. Years ago, when I first started posting on-line I remember some friends being unsure of the difference between Bluegrass and Old Time (understandable, because they're often lumped together in record racks and blogs). Bluegrass effectively took shape in the 1940s, with Bill Monroe, incorporating influence from both Black and White music, and has since evolved into a wide range of Progressive styles - some with affinities to Rock and Jazz. Old Time Mountain Music has kept more of its affinity to the original songs and entertainment brought over with the early settlers. Many Old Time performers are women - and the style has enthusiasts of all ages. This example is a new release:

https://bluegrasstoday.com/cold-moun...m-vivian-leva/
    She is awesome!
    Farawayhills likes this.

Margo Price performed a very interesting arrangement of her song "Pay Gap", on Conan O'Brien's show yesterday, to celebrate the upcoming International Women's Day

The song itself (which comes from her album, though the arrangement is reworked here) features both the unequal gender pay gap, and also a general plea for inclusion across the diversity of the human condition. What particularly interested me about this version was the way she links classic Country Music motifs to the involvement of women. The clothing is inspired by the classic Nudie Suits, worn by Gram Parsons and others - but it's designed here by Judith Rothman-Pierce, who owns the Rusty Cuts clothing store. The Mexican horns used to back her band recall similar musical arrangements (controversial to some in Nashville at the time) by Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings - but here they are performed by a female ensemble, Las Mariachi Lindas Mexicanas. And the message Margo bears on her guitar recalls the tradition of political messages on instruments started by Woody Guthrie - but here it takes up the call by actress Frances McDormand for entertainers to press for an "inclusion rider" in their contracts, asking for the portrayal of more diversity.

(Thanks to Marissa R Moss for highlighting this performance in an article she wrote for Rolling Stone)
    https://www.rollingstone.com/country...-conan-w517600
    txacar likes this.

txacar likes this.

•  
    Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast