• 2 Post By lizcarlo
  • 2 Post By txacar
  • 2 Post By rainbow1
  • 2 Post By Farawayhills
  • 2 Post By rainbow1

Thread: Lori McKenna, the Bird and the Rifle era

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar

Lori McKenna, the Bird and the Rifle era

Lori McKenna is one of our half-hidden treasures - well worth seeking out, if you're not familiar with her. Best known as a songwriter (co-holder of the Song of the Year, with "Girl Crush", and co-writer of one of Carrie's deepest and best cuts, "Like I'll Never Love You Again"), she also has an achingly expressive voice, which probes the meaning of her often cynical and emotional songs.

"Humble and Kind" is undoubtedly the best known song on her new album - but not necessarily the best introduction to her style or to the range of meaning she expresses. The title track is a metaphor for a married couple who don't understand each other's needs, and the opening track is also a strikingly strong relationship song. The third track introduces the apt observation that home town reality doesn't stay frozen in hometown memories, and it may be true that you can't really go home, even in a place you've never left.

Dave Cobb, whose acclaimed albums from artists like Jason Isbell, Chris Stapleton, Jamey Johnson, and Sturgill Simpson have established him one of the Roots sector's foremost producers, also steers this album

The whole album is available on NPR's First Listen:
    First Listen: Lori McKenna, 'The Bird & The Rifle' : NPR
    lizcarlo, txacar, bluetb4 and 1 others like this.

Thanks so much for posting. I really like her music and enjoyed the previews. She is such talented writer and has emotional relatable voice.
    rainbow1 and Farawayhills like this.

Concert Stars
    ^Thanks, Faraway. I wasn't familiar with her music until Faith Hill's "Stealing Kisses." Wonderful writer.

Concert Stars
    I first heard her on a song that was on a list of Carrie's possible albums. I can't remember the name of it, but it was a song about her husband....that he wouldn't seem like much to some, but he was everything to her. I still wish that Carrie had recorded it!!
    Farawayhills and txacar like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    I first heard her on a song that was on a list of Carrie's possible albums. I can't remember the name of it, but it was a song about her husband....that he wouldn't seem like much to some, but he was everything to her. I still wish that Carrie had recorded it!!
    Oh yes! That song was called "Nobody Knows" - although it didn't make the album in the end, fan reaction generally was very positive - there's a thread here discussing it
    http://www.carriefans.com/forums/blo...ies-album.html (Lori McKenna song "Nobody Knows" made Carrie's album!!)

(The link to the demo no longer seems to work - but I don't recall anyone else having recorded it.)

That song was written around a woman whose husband was criticized by her friends, but she knew that although he was hardworking and seemed tired and remote, he could be tender and loving. It sounded emotionally "raw" and realistic - and Carrie hasn't tended to go typically for songs in that style before. However, "Storyteller" did move more in that direction in some of the songs, and I think it might have stood more of a chance of being picked in this era. She did, in fact, pick another Lori McKenna song this time, and that is also a more mature song about a loving relationship.
    rainbow1 and txacar like this.

Concert Stars
    Yes, thanks Faraway. I wish we could still hear it!!
    Farawayhills and txacar like this.

•