Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647
Results 921 to 934 of 934
Like Tree1068Likes

Thread: Miranda Lambert - The Weight Of These Wings

  1. #921
    Ultimate Carrie Fan simonplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Uruguay
    Posts
    6,016
    ^ the new Taylor Swift, watch her next album be all about all her relationships playing the victim..

  • #922
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,658
    In breaks between tours, Miranda often goes to other artists' concerts, in both large and small venues - some of which she posts about afterwards, and some which we only hear about incidentally. I already knew she'd been to a Lake Street Dive concert last week, with her friend April, because she posted pictures of them with the group (I'd be grateful, by the way, if people didn't try to jump to conclusions about the gentleman with them, who is an Austin singer-songwriter - when she goes with a girlfriend, they usually also have a male friend, who accompanies them as an escort, and hopefully helps to deter random strangers from pestering them.)
    https://twitter.com/mirandalambert/s...47494163763201

    Lake Street Dive are one of her favourite bands, and they asked her to join them to sing one of their songs "I Can Change". So far, I've only seen clips of this, recorded on phones - and I'm grateful to concert goers who post material like that, especially when they are from other fan bases, and wouldn't have expected to see a collaboration.
    However, Rolling Stone have now posted an article on the event, and have included a better quality video. (I'm pleased to get that - Like most of this group's work, "I Can Change" is in a Blues style, which Miranda is known to love. Lake Street Dive's lead singer, Rachael Price, is the other artist performing in the video).

    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...change-722154/
    Momin likes this.

  • #923
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,658
    Dolly Parton's soundtrack album, "Dumplin'", which features Miranda, as well as several other artists, is scheduled for a Nov 30th release. As well as the information mentioned in an earlier post, I've since heard that Mavis Staples, Elle King, Alison Krauss, and Rhonda Vincent will also be on the record. The tracks will be a mixture of new material, written by Dolly and Linda Perry, with covers of Dolly's earlier songs, performed by the guest artists - but I haven't yet seen a detailed listing of the songs.

    Dumplin' is based on a novel, which deals with body weight issues, and the problems of teenage anxiety. The central character is named after Dolly's sister, Willadene. The film will be distributed on Netflix.
    Josh likes this.

  • #924
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,658
    The Lambert clan had a family day out recently at the Oklahoma State Fair, where Miranda showed her horse, and seems to have had a lot of general fun

    https://twitter.com/mirandalambert/s...27900444995584

    I think it was good to see this, for several reasons:
    ---it helps to dispel the climate of a feud between her and Oklahoma, stirred up on social media, seemingly by a number of obsessive Shelton supporters, who won't move on, and harass fans, particularly those who have the state and her name in their social media tags.
    ---it takes her back to the circuit where she first got into showing her Gypsy Vanner - she does this at other places, but this was where it began for her, and she has friends on the circuit. (Some of the riders show in Western gear - but she prefers "full English" style, which is appropriate for this breed)
    ---it was an opportunity to relax with her family between the ending of the Bandwagon Tour, and the coming season where she is about to start the Hall of Fame concerts, followed by likely Pistol Annies promotion.

    ----------------------------------------------------


    In fact, her first Artist In Residence concert at the Hall of Fame is tonight, and the Oak Ridge Boys sent flowers to her dressing room (I admire that veteran group for consistently showing support for the younger artists who are carrying on the performance torch. I'm sure it means a lot to them)

    https://twitter.com/oakridgeboys/status/1042555462107971584




    Thanks to Devon RanFan, this is the set list she followed tonight (I love the way she's spreading the songs through the album eras, and including deep album cuts. A nice tribute to Allison Moorer, one of her heroes. It looks as if Ashley Monroe, Natalie Hemby, and Miranda's father Rick were all involved. I would guess that she may concentrate on The Weight of These Wings in the second concert)

    1. Love Is Looking For You
    2. Greyhound Bound For Nowhere
    3. Bring Me Down
    4. Desperation
    5. More Like Her
    6. Dead Flowers
    7. Airstream Song
    8. Virginia Bluebell
    9. White Liar
    10. Heart Like Mine
    11. Me & Your Cigarettes
    12. A Soft Place To Fall
    13. Oklahoma Sky
    14. Gravity’s A *****
    15. Dear Diamond
    16. Tomboy
    17. I’ve Got Wheels
    Momin and lizcarlo like this.

  • #925
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,658
    The Hall of Fame posted this picture (left to right, Ashley, Rick, Allison, Miranda, Natalie)
    https://twitter.com/countrymusichof/...75668759699456

    Although two hits (White Liar, co written with Natalie, and Heart Like Mine, co-written with Ashley), were included; as were two recent cuts from TWOTW, which I don't think have been featured before - the main focus was clearly on older songs which were never singles - which she called "ones that got away". An unusual choice for a 17 song prestige set - but I think one that suited the idea of a residency, focusing on her career as a whole, stressing the songwriting and reinforcing the fact that Country Music is a wider spectrum than radio plays.

    The choice of Allison Moorer, who is clearly associated more with Alt Country, as the "senior" guest artist also seems to confirm the suggestion in TWOTW that Miranda is focusing rather more of her career nowadays in an off-Mainstream direction. "Oklahoma Sky" was the song she wrote as a present for Miranda's wedding (which already seems water under a few bridges now). They sang it together, and Allison said of it "The dudes, they come and go. The song remains. We’ve still got the song.” That reportedly got a huge whoop from the audience!

    The Tennessean, & Sounds Like Nashville have reviews here:
    https://eu.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2018/09/20/miranda-lambert-plays-country-music-hall-fame-residency-setlist/1336951002/


    Miranda Lambert Plays First Show as Hall of Fame Artist-in-Residence | Sounds Like Nashville
    Last edited by Farawayhills; 09-20-2018 at 05:41 PM.

  • #926
    Huge Carrie Follower Momin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    The Hall of Fame posted this picture (left to right, Ashley, Rick, Allison, Miranda, Natalie)
    https://twitter.com/countrymusichof/...75668759699456

    Although two hits (White Liar, co written with Natalie, and Heart Like Mine, co-written with Ashley), were included; as were two recent cuts from TWOTW, which I don't think have been featured before - the main focus was clearly on older songs which were never singles - which she called "ones that got away". An unusual choice for a 17 song prestige set - but I think one that suited the idea of a residency, focusing on her career as a whole, stressing the songwriting and reinforcing the fact that Country Music is a wider spectrum than radio plays.

    The choice of Allison Moorer, who is clearly associated more with Alt Country, as the "senior" guest artist also seems to confirm the suggestion in TWOTW that Miranda is focusing rather more of her career nowadays in an off-Mainstream direction. "Oklahoma Sky" was the song she wrote as a present for Miranda's wedding (which already seems water under a few bridges now). They sang it together, and Allison said of it "The dudes, they come and go. The song remains. We’ve still got the song.” That reportedly got a huge whoop from the audience!

    The Tennessean, & Sounds Like Nashville have reviews here:
    https://eu.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2018/09/20/miranda-lambert-plays-country-music-hall-fame-residency-setlist/1336951002/


    Miranda Lambert Plays First Show as Hall of Fame Artist-in-Residence | Sounds Like Nashville
    I saw some videos on Miranda's Instagram account. I thoroughly enjoyed the acoustic versions of all the songs she performed. It was very intimate, simple and yet heartfelt. I also love how she included so many songs from her previous albums that weren't singles. It only goes on to show that she included all those songs because she genuinely wanted them there and she also recognized something special in them. Perhaps their long-termness or their authenticity. Whatever it was, she still seems to be in love with those songs. These are timeless songs that continue to resonate with audiences. They know these deep cuts by ear really well, if not by lyrics, and they continue to request them. I believe there are rarely any artists in the country mainstream format who would have very memorable non-single songs on their albums or that audiences listen to those very often. They are mostly forgetful album fillers that have no depth to them. It makes my heart happy to see artists like Miranda bring back old gems that still strike a chord after all these years.

  • #927
    Huge Carrie Follower Momin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    In breaks between tours, Miranda often goes to other artists' concerts, in both large and small venues - some of which she posts about afterwards, and some which we only hear about incidentally. I already knew she'd been to a Lake Street Dive concert last week, with her friend April, because she posted pictures of them with the group (I'd be grateful, by the way, if people didn't try to jump to conclusions about the gentleman with them, who is an Austin singer-songwriter - when she goes with a girlfriend, they usually also have a male friend, who accompanies them as an escort, and hopefully helps to deter random strangers from pestering them.)
    https://twitter.com/mirandalambert/s...47494163763201

    Lake Street Dive are one of her favourite bands, and they asked her to join them to sing one of their songs "I Can Change". So far, I've only seen clips of this, recorded on phones - and I'm grateful to concert goers who post material like that, especially when they are from other fan bases, and wouldn't have expected to see a collaboration.
    However, Rolling Stone have now posted an article on the event, and have included a better quality video. (I'm pleased to get that - Like most of this group's work, "I Can Change" is in a Blues style, which Miranda is known to love. Lake Street Dive's lead singer, Rachael Price, is the other artist performing in the video).

    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...change-722154/
    I loved this performance! I'm not too familiar with Lake Street Drive. In fact, this is the only song I've heard by them. But does seem like they're right up Miranda's alley.

  • #928
    Insane Carrie Fan lizcarlo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    4,075
    I was on Miranda Facebook. Wanted to post these pictures because they are so cute. This was at Oklahoma Fair

    image.jpg

  • #929
    Insane Carrie Fan lizcarlo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    4,075

  • #930
    Insane Carrie Fan lizcarlo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    4,075
    Loved Miranda in Austin City Limits. This was only video I could find.

    Suellen and Farawayhills like this.

  • #931
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,658
    I'm not sure if this link will work, as the paper includes specific session markers in the address. (If not you may be able to find it by searching on Washington Post articles by Emily Yahr)
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.86b96eb70be7

    As some may know, Emily has been a strong supporter of women in Country Music, and more generally of the Roots-leaning side of the genre. - so the theme of this article is not surprising. (It's also not surprising that the great majority of radio programmers declined to comment. More disappointingly, Sony Nashville also declined to comment - though I would reiterate what I've been saying in the Pistol Annies' thread, that most of the promotion seems to be coming from Shopkeeper and from Miranda's personal teams, rather than from the label.)

    Much of Emily's article does focus on Miranda (which is why I've posted it here) - but even those of you who don't like Miranda might want to read it, as the issues about masculinity on radio, and the apparent dislike of musical depth and many of the more challenging themes, are general - and may also increasingly affect Carrie. (I won't dwell on that point, though, as there is little hard evidence to indicate exactly what it is happening in her case, and I know many of you think she will continue to be an exception, and it it's only a matter of time for her radio run to reassert itself). All I'll say now is that the sector of music I mainly follow has long known that they and their audience don't generally need commercial radio support to be able to sustain the career aspects that are more important to them - and that trend has continued as radio has increasingly narrowed its playlist priorities in recent years - but artists (and their fans) obviously differ in the extent to which their career focus and future expectations do rely more on that medium.


    [edit] I've extracted this section by another advocate of women's recordings, Elaina Smith, as it may be of most interest to Carrie fans and fans of other artists:


    Elaina Smith, co-host of the nationally syndicated “Nash Nights Live,” worked in adult contemporary and pop radio before moving to Nashville. She was shocked when she heard country programmers say they’re told to never play two songs by women back-to-back. Smith was especially disturbed by their reasoning: allegedly, female listeners, the target demo, don’t like to hear female voices on the radio.

    Smith, who launched a podcast this fall called Women Want to Hear Women, is one of many in Nashville determined to debunk that problematic thinking, and raise awareness about the challenges women face in the industry. “Nothing is ever going to change unless it’s known and we can be open about it,” Smith said.
    One of the numerous issues with that two-song policy, Smith said, is audiences don’t have time to get familiar with the tracks, so they’re less likely to become hits.

    “Everything is about familiarity,” Smith said. “If a song isn’t doing that well and it’s a guy, I feel like they’re more prone to keep pushing it . . . but these songs [by women] aren’t getting chances that male songs are getting, in my experience and observation.”
    Last edited by Farawayhills; 2 Days Ago at 10:57 AM.
    txacar likes this.

  • #932
    Carrie Guru rainbow1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    15,153
    Concert Stars
    Faraway, go look on FoxNews, a video and article about Miranda. She makes an "unusual" comment concerning not being able to get a No. 1 !! LOL!!
    txacar and Farawayhills like this.

  • #933
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,658
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    Faraway, go look on FoxNews, a video and article about Miranda. She makes an "unusual" comment concerning not being able to get a No. 1 !! LOL!!
    Was that the comment about having to find someone with the right anatomical details? Lol (I wonder how the host reacted!)

    Miranda did sing an earlier featured part on one of his albums back in 2007 - that was more in a power ballad style - written by Brett James and Hillary Lindsey. Aldean has had a career roughly similar in time span to Carrie's and Miranda's, and is probably best known for a mixture of emotive power ballads, and Southern Rock. He did dabble in Bro Country more recently (though he wasn't one of the worst offenders). The latest song, "Drowns the Whiskey" is interesting, because it contains definite elements of Neo-traditional style. That has been unfashionable on recent Mainstream radio, and some commentators mentioned that it may mark a shift by programmers away from Bro Country. Miranda may have played a part in choosing the style, because when he asked her for a collaboration, she turned down the first song he sent her, and he had to rethink the type of song.

    "Drowns the Whiskey" spent two weeks at number one, I think, and also gained a couple of award nominations. I would say that (if it is not just a one-off exception) that would be more significant in stylistic terms, though - rather than being a pointer to Miranda's own radio prospects. It does, at least, suggest that there isn't a "blacklist" conspiracy against her, but her vocal part in the song is not very prominent, and - as she points out - they are not sowing any real sign of playing her solo work. I think her part in the video is stronger than on record - the juxtaposition of the two characters, wistfully drinking separately was quite effective. Someone on Twitter said it could represent a retrospective of "Before He Cheats", with the two protagonists, the cheater and the avenger, both reflecting, months later about where events have separately led them.
    rainbow1 likes this.

  • #934
    Carrie Guru rainbow1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    15,153
    Concert Stars
    Yes, that's what it was!! Struck me funny!!
    Farawayhills likes this.


  •  
    Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 2
      Last Post: 09-05-2014, 11:06 AM
    2. Carrie Underwood: Touring With Miranda Lambert Would Be 'So Much Fun'
      By countryfan2006 in forum Carrie Underwood Times
      Replies: 67
      Last Post: 06-13-2014, 02:52 PM
    3. Miranda Lambert (Discussion thread)
      By Marie2011 in forum Music
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 10-18-2013, 09:47 PM
    4. Billboard Tweet From Miranda Lambert About Carrie :)
      By teesharky in forum Carrie Underwood Sightings
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 11-01-2011, 07:34 PM
    5. Miranda Lambert - 25 things people don’t know about her
      By northtexas in forum Carrie Underwood Chat
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 03-30-2011, 11:56 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •