Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
Like Tree1060Likes

Thread: Miranda Lambert - The Weight Of These Wings

Junior Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    @PACRadioShowFollowFollow
    @PACRadioShow

More

JUST ANNOUNCED: @mirandalambert's new single will be #KeeperOfTheFlame... impacting Country radio 4/16...
    Wow, this came out of nowhere she didn't even sing it n her current tour. I thought the album was done. Hopefully radio plays it!
    lolita55 likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbasumner View Post
    Wow, this came out of nowhere she didn't even sing it n her current tour. I thought the album was done. Hopefully radio plays it!
    I figured her song bad boy or six degrees of separation or whatever it is would be the next single, if there was one.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    @PACRadioShowFollowFollow
    @PACRadioShow

More

JUST ANNOUNCED: @mirandalambert's new single will be #KeeperOfTheFlame... impacting Country radio 4/16...
    This is easily her most radio friendly song on the album. I don't know how radio will embrace though if they didn't embrace Tin Man or Vice which both sold well. I wonder if the intention was to release a song geared towards radio. Either way I'm interested to see how things play out with this one.

The ballads are still my favorites on this album along with Runnin' Just in Case

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    This time, I get the impression that Sony Nashville are putting more into promotion. There have been announcements of podcasts of Miranda discussing songwriting *, and sweepstake competitions, with their logo. It remains to be seen how much success a relatively late effort could have.

(Label promotion of Miranda has often seemed patchy in the past, with efforts concentrated on one or two singles, with the others having the feel of being left to find their own level. With this double album, though, there has been little obvious sign of much label promotion so far, with most of what has occurred having the feel of coming from Miranda herself and her circle - even her grandmother appearing in one clip. Miranda's main focus has been on showcasing as many songs from the album as possible, on different occasions with a view to presenting the different aspects of the album. She's said more than once that she regards the concept of singles as outdated and obsolescent - and it seems clear that her priority has been sales and touring, with little focus on radio. She has had press features - for which the impetus in arranging them would come from management - and she makes frequent use of short posts on social media, with photos credited to personal contacts she works with. There's been little sign of radio interviews.

I've always felt that the creation of personal imprints within a label group is a two-edged development. On the one hand, it gives the owning artist a bigger share of revenue - but on the other hand, it leaves the parent label with a smaller share, and hence less incentive to prioritize promotion, in comparison with newer artists or more reliable radio stand-bys. That can push more of the promotion needs onto the artist personally, and their management. If I'm right in feeling that Sony Nashville are now getting more involved, it may just be a last effort to get what they can from the album - but it may also be connected with the likely release of a Pistol Annies album. The fans go wild whenever the PAs appear at concerts - but it's questionable how far most of them would support the band without Miranda in it. Hence, from Sony's perspective, additional promotion for Miranda can pay dividends in selling both albums.)

* [Edit] A partial correction to the above - Sony appear to only be responsible for placing the audio on Spotify. The podcasts (described as a new online book) again appear to come from Miranda herself and her management associates, are ascribed to Team ML. and carry her flying initials logo. That probably requires some modification of those comments about promotion.

"Keeper of the Flame" is a song which she co-wrote with Natalie Hemby and Liz Rose - a strong collaboration, which should certainly have the potential for a hit. Miranda's attitude and stylistic preferences, however, may have already proved a step too far for radio - and it can be difficult to get back into favour, regardless of what song is chosen. I think many of the fans, like Miranda herself, are reconciled to that and do see her as an album and live performance artist, rather than expecting much radio support. Regardless of what might or might not happen with radio, though, I think it is an excellent choice for a featured song. Thematically, it's arguably the most significant song on the album, since it expresses how many of her supporters see her (and perhaps how she would most like to be seen herself)

"Sometimes I'm just a flicker
    A candle in your eye
    But I swear to God
    I'll never let it die -
    I'm the keeper of the flame
    The teller of the story
    Keeper of the flame
    For the ones that came before me
    For the little pilot lights waiting to ignite
    Like fireflies in the rain
    Keeper of the flame"

[Edit:] Another development is that Rolling Stone have named "Keeper of the Flame" as one of the ten best Country/Americana songs of the week.
    Last edited by Farawayhills; 03-24-2018 at 10:01 PM.

This is a performance of the song from Christmas 2016

lizcarlo likes this.

Miranda is going to be in "Elton John I'm Still Standing A Grammy Salute". It's going to be on Tuesday 4/10 on 8:00 PM on channel 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    This is a performance of the song from Christmas 2016

That's was so amazing. Thanks for posting!
    Farawayhills likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lizcarlo View Post
    Miranda is going to be in "Elton John I'm Still Standing A Grammy Salute". It's going to be on Tuesday 4/10 on 8:00 PM on channel 4.
    The whole album is up on Spotify - each track by a guest artist is followed by the equivalent version by Sir Elton (remastered). It includes tracks by several other Country artists, including duets by Emmylou & Roseann Cash; and Dolly and Rhonda Vincent, as well as solos by Willie, Chris Stapleton, Lee Ann Womack, Kacey Musgraves, among others.

There are links to both the streaming sites, and to a Recording Academy video clip, on RanFanCentral's Twitter page (thanks to her for providing an easy way to find them)
    https://twitter.com/RanFanCentral

The Recording Academy clip only gives a brief snippet of the performance, plus a short interview - but it ends with Elton and Bernie leaping to their feet in appreciation, so you can see it was well received. The Spotify audio is, I think, one of her best performances. It builds up from a gentle start, which shows a vulnerability in the character that, I felt went further than the original, showing the pain of the bereavement, alongside the rather belligerent tone of the male character. The performance builds towards a Rock infused conclusion, which shows me again just how much Miranda was born to sing that fusion style, that's she made so much of her on her own albums.

As I said earlier, Elton John's original was on a concept album, which brings out most clearly the Country influence in his work. This song obviously has a Civil War connotation (and, as I also mentioned, was later used over here to convey a sense of IRA links to the Easter Rising). Both aspects can be problematic (I know, for example, that Hillary Lindsey will not touch Civil War nostalgia in songs). However, the Elton John song is ambiguous - the central character will not abandon the fight until the end, but he talks about going home to plant the seeds of justice and see the bells of freedom ring. I get a sense that Miranda may be alluding to that ambiguity in the interview, when she says that coming back to the song in adulthood, after experiences in her own life, she gets a new sense of what it is about, and a new connection to it.

In other interviews she has said that she talked about songwriting with Bernie and Elton over coffee, well into the night - and that it was good to be with such nice, normal people for a while.
    lizcarlo and abbeyjones18 like this.

It's up on YouTube, too:

Farawayhills and lizcarlo like this.

Really impressed by the cover, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by abbeyjones18 View Post
    It's up on YouTube, too:

That's beautiful cover. Excited to hear her sing it live.

I'll try to comment further on the Grammy tribute, and Elton John's reaction a little later

Meanwhile, I'm not likely to able to watch the ACM awards - but I hope YouTube videos appear, as I'm looking forward to seeing "Keeper of the Flame".
    However, this is Miranda's red carpet dress (which does tie in with the "flame" theme)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Da3AZrDWkAAc8p-.jpg

Miranda looking beautiful at ACM blue carpet

Suellen, abbeyjones18 and rainbow1 like this.

Miranda did amazing job singing Elton John My Fathers Gun tribute.
    rainbow1 likes this.

They added a radio edit version of "Keeper Of The Flame" to Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/4I81zDK5QUqbxgNYJaj0jm
    lizcarlo likes this.

As promised earlier, I'd like to say a little more about the Elton John Tribute (the whole album, by the way, is available on Amazon Prime in the UK)

This picture shows Miranda waiting in the audience, in her performance costume, which Tiffany Gifford designed. Miranda was accompanied there by Marion Kraft, her manager (though I understand her friend, April Lewis, may have accompanied her to the recent ACMs)
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BhfjR-ul1iy/

The performance seems to have been very well received. This clip shows Sir Elton and Bernie Taupin reacting in the audience during the performance, and also standing in appreciation at the end
    https://twitter.com/RanFanCentral/st...09222326063104

Sir Elton tweeted a couple of times about it:

Elton John‏Verified account @eltonofficial Apr 11

Really tapping that country sound that Tumbleweed Connection was all about. This is great, @mirandalambert. Elton xo

and, in reply to a tweet from Little Big Town

Elton John‏Verified account @eltonofficial Apr 11

No argument from me there, @littlebigtown - @mirandalambert does rock and so does this performance of ‘My Fathers Gun’. Elton xo

Reaction from the media also seems to have been pretty positive. Examples:

iHeartCountry‏Verified account @iHeartCountry Apr 11

"I'd like to know where the riverboat sails tonight!" Amazing version of "My Father's Gun," from one of the queens of Country. @mirandalambert

Taste of Country‏Verified account @TasteOfCountry Apr 10

Wow this is a beautiful recreation of an @EltonOfficial classic. Does anyone do "vulnerable" like @MirandaLambert?

Her own comments show that she enjoyed it - performance, and exploring music, are what her friends say are what drive her, and are the only part of the business that she really likes
    lizcarlo likes this.

Concert Stars
    I watched it!! She was wonderful and looked more beautiful than ever!!
    lizcarlo and Farawayhills like this.

Concert Stars
    I loved it. For me, her best live performance ever.
    lizcarlo and Farawayhills like this.

Here are gifs of Miranda at ACM's. She looked so beautiful and was so cute. I'm so happy for Tin Man win. That's such incredible song. She sang Keeper Of The Flame very well. I wish the would stop being so stubborn and let the performances be on YouTube.

Farawayhills likes this.

•  
    Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast