Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast
Like Tree1043Likes

Thread: Miranda Lambert - The Weight Of These Wings

Quote Originally Posted by simonplay View Post
    Million times FVOTY winner Miranda Lambert was touring all year and only made 8.9 million! She played more than 50 shows from January to October.

Slay!! Lol

Were was this figure published? Thanks!

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    https://www.pollstar.com/Chart/2018/...nTours_622.pdf

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    Pollstar year end North America tours 2017

2018-01-06 12.06.52.jpg

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Can you imagine how many tickets ML would've sold without the mega ticket!!!!!! she better not receive an EOTY nomination at the ACMS.

Is there any doubt who the true QUEEN of country music really is??????????????????????????????????????//

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Miranda has recorded an acoustic songwriter session for Front and Center on PBS - it should air in February - and as their shows are usually available on-line, I'm really looking forward to this!

Thanks to RanFanCentral, a preview clip of "Vice" has been posted on Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/949790768910295040
    She says she found the clip on her Oklahoma PBS station website (though apparently it's not available everywhere). I'd recommend recording it, if you can, and playing it with VLC, or a similar media player, to see the full clip, as it's actually in higher quality than Twitter allow to be posted.

Some of you probably know how I feel about "Vice" - one of my top songs of the decade! - so I was particularly pleased to get a version with Miranda and Shane McAnally singing it together - (Shane posted on Twitter "Such an amazing night, but I was so damn nervous I could barely breathe!")
    Scotty Wray and Boo Massey (from Miranda's band) were the accompanists for the session.

Apparently, Miranda's father Rick also joins her in the full show, to sing "Greyhound Bound For Nowhere" (which was her earliest song to become known outside Texas)
    Momin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    Miranda has recorded an acoustic songwriter session for Front and Center on PBS - it should air in February - and as their shows are usually available on-line, I'm really looking forward to this!

Thanks to RanFanCentral, a preview clip of "Vice" has been posted on Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/949790768910295040
    She says she found the clip on her Oklahoma PBS station website (though apparently it's not available everywhere). I'd recommend recording it, if you can, and playing it with VLC, or a similar media player, to see the full clip, as it's actually in higher quality than Twitter allow to be posted.

Some of you probably know how I feel about "Vice" - one of my top songs of the decade! - so I was particularly pleased to get a version with Miranda and Shane McAnally singing it together - (Shane posted on Twitter "Such an amazing night, but I was so damn nervous I could barely breathe!")
    Scotty Wray and Boo Massey (from Miranda's band) were the accompanists for the session.

Apparently, Miranda's father Rick also joins her in the full show, to sing "Greyhound Bound For Nowhere" (which was her earliest song to become known outside Texas)
    Really enjoy Miranda as writer and performer. Love Miranda in acoustic settings. I have Revolution Live By Candle Light. Thanks so much. This is so exciting!
    Farawayhills likes this.

Miranda announced a joint tour with Little Big Town, which I think will start after she finishes her Living Like Hippies tour

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...andwagon-dates
    lizcarlo and Farawayhills like this.

That reminds me of a couple of recent posts that are disarmingly cute (except perhaps for those people who will never be disarmed by anything involving Miranda, lol)

This one is showing off her new fringed outfit that will be worn on tour. (Tiffany Gifford is her regular designer/wardrobe mistress who often accompanies her at events and on tour - I'm afraid I don't know the other person she credits)
    https://twitter.com/mirandalambert/s...34823039782912

And this one shows her with her boyfriend, Anderson East (who has just released a new Roots/Blues album, "Encore"). (Again - many of us who've followed her for a long time are likely to be struck by how happy and more at ease she seems to be at this stage of her life)
    https://twitter.com/mirandalambert/s...29349065547777

Anderson was asked to comment briefly on their relationship in an interview which was mainly focused on his touring and the album launch:
    "You and Miranda are adorable on Instagram. How do you keep the romance alive?"
    - "There's a true admiration there and a large level of understanding on both sides, for sure. It's always difficult to be a traveling musician and still keep things together. Understanding is a huge factor."
    lizcarlo, Kizmet311 and Momin like this.

But, at the same time, I think it is more subtle. Miranda has often been interpreted as demonstrating a rebellious attitude. In 2004, when she was appearing on Nashville Star, she told reporters she wanted to follow Natalie Maines in attitude, as well as in music (possibly costing her a sizeable chunk of the public vote). In 2006 she got resentment from purists for ending a CMA showcase performance by kicking over the microphone stand and trying (not fully successfully) to smash a guitar. This could be said to tie in somewhat with the theme of her song "New Strings" - but both the the music, and the closing were seen as too "Rock 'n' Roll" for the some at the CMA. For her, it may also reflect a Dixie Chick link - 2006 also marked their return with "Not Ready To Make Nice" - and it also reflects similar earlier symbolic protests against conventional industry priorities by Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings - but it probably hadn't been seen before from a young woman in Mainstream Country. I think you can also interpret some of her later work, such as the incorporation of several songs from Alt Country writers on her pre-wedding album, Four the Record; her choice of an openly Gay-married artist friend to sing at her own wedding; and her later use of Alternative club anthems, "All Kinds of Kinds" and "Little Red Wagon" as singles - to be at least unconventional for the Mainstream.

I actually think singing "Highway Vagabond" as her Showcase song at the CMA Festival a couple of months ago was at least as much, if not more, anti-establisment (since "To Learn Her" is solidly core-Country traditional, while "Highway Vagabond" reflects late '60s, or early 70s, Country Funk, which was never a Mainstream style)
    But "To Learn Her" is certainly a statement - and its traditional style (which is not typical of the album as whole) owes a lot to the featured steel playing of Spencer Cullum, and the honky-tonk keyboard of Danny Mitchell. (Note also the rare use - for her - of an upright big bass fiddle, instead of her band's normal electric bass - though I can't make out who's playing in the video)
    Why I say it's more subtle as a stylistic rebellion, though, is that it's a more dignified and mature stylistic tribute than some of her earlier "rebel girl" performances. Note the dark, smart, more formal clothes of the band, and the avoidance of any stage effects. In that sense I think Kyle is right to say that she's showing leadership - he would have meant that as applying to the type of music (which does reflect the greater penetration of a roots element into the current format, and which several writers have said Miranda paved the way for - but which may not go much further) - but I also felt that it reflects the more sombre and dignified mood of this year's show. Miranda might not have been expected to strike that note earlier on - that she can now hit just the right tone for the occasion shows growth. and I felt tied in with her acknowledgement of the unity theme. I would guess that Saving Country Music sees it mainly, or even only, in terms of bringing back the style of music - but to me it seems that that performance both challenges the Mainstream stylistically, and also aims to honour it, as an aspect of the appeal to unity - and, as I see it, that balance was successfully achieved
    I have been a little absent from the board so I'm reading up on a lot of posts that I previously missed or didn't respond to earlier.

I really want to thank Faraway for little pieces of information. These anecdotes are like the corner pieces of a puzzle for me that reflect the persona of the artist and what they stand for in greater detail than one usually perceives.

I was deeply pleased with Miranda's performance on the CMAs. Not only because it's one of my favourites from the album but because, right now, she's perhaps the only female country artist who can get away with performing such a song at a main awards showcase. And I'm sure she knows that. Although Miranda's personal interpretation may not be similar to mine, I'm amused by my own interpretation of the lyrics as losing Miranda by learning her as an artist. Because mainstream circles wouldn't want her with her styles. Hahaha!
    Farawayhills likes this.

This is what Karen Fairchild said of Miranda in a recent interview about their tour:

All I can say, musically, is that we need her. We need Miranda [in country music]. It wouldn’t hurt my feelings if we heard her more, even, on the radio right now. She loves songs, and she loves country music. That’s all. Her life revolves around that. She’s very inspiring.
    Farawayhills likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    That reminds me of a couple of recent posts that are disarmingly cute (except perhaps for those people who will never be disarmed by anything involving Miranda, lol)

This one is showing off her new fringed outfit that will be worn on tour. (Tiffany Gifford is her regular designer/wardrobe mistress who often accompanies her at events and on tour - I'm afraid I don't know the other person she credits)
    [URL]https://twitter.com/mirandalambert/status/952034823039782912[

Anderson was asked to comment briefly on their relationship in an interview which was mainly focused on his touring and the album launch:
    "You and Miranda are adorable on Instagram. How do you keep the romance alive?"
    - "There's a true admiration there and a large level of understanding on both sides, for sure. It's always difficult to be a traveling musician and still keep things together. Understanding is a huge factor."
    Obviously I don't know them, but it seems like Miranda is happier than she ever has been. Anderson is a great musician and he seems to be a good guy.
    Farawayhills likes this.

Any news about the next single? I think Tin Man has already peaked?

Farawayhills likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Momin View Post
    This is what Karen Fairchild said of Miranda in a recent interview about their tour:

All I can say, musically, is that we need her. We need Miranda [in country music]. It wouldn’t hurt my feelings if we heard her more, even, on the radio right now. She loves songs, and she loves country music. That’s all. Her life revolves around that. She’s very inspiring.
    I agree with what Karen says there - I think Miranda's deep understanding of such a wide range of Country styles, and her varied performances , both strengthen the diversity of the Mainstream, and are needed to balance the relatively narrow priorities it often focuses on. For that reason, I wouldn't want her to give up on the Mainstream, which I think would be poorer without her. But, at the same time, I wouldn't want her to compromise her experimentation, in the hope of getting radio play.

I saw this this posted on Twitter a couple of days ago:
    "Miranda Lambert is one of the most underrated songwriters of this era. Love is Looking For You, More Like Her, Dear Diamond, Tin Man. But no, let’s only credit her bland ‘mainstream’ hits. Over You and Automatic are the ONLY awards she’s received for a song. Unreal."

I actually appreciate "Over You" - more than I do "Automatic" (except for the reference aimed to stir memories for long-term Dixie Chick fans in the latter's video) - but I wouldn't want an album that concentrates on Mainstream styles. In that context, I'm particularly intrigued with Miranda's suggestion that her new writing may be for a Pistol Annies album. That is, in my opinion, more what the genre needs now, as it would give the three artists more freedom to explore some commentary on aspects on contemporary issues.

And I don't really think she needs the radio play, as much as their playlists could benefit from including her. Miranda, Chris Stapleton and Kacey Musgraves may be a minority among high-profile current artists - but they do, at least, show that it is possible to maintain a strong niche, transcending the purely alternative scene, without regular radio support. She has said that the concept of a single is increasingly obsolete, and her aim is to present as many of her songs as possible on different occasions - which seems to be what her fans want. Nevertheless, "Tin Man", as a single, has been certified gold by the RIAA, with negligible radio support, adding to the perception of the album and "Vice" as selling well to a varied and interested base, largely beyond the radio target audience. And her relentless touring also plays to a loyal and widespread audience. Some more Pop-focused fans seem to see her touring levels as a problem - but I doubt if she does. The type of touring she undertakes is reminiscent of the touring by some of her musical heroes, and I don't think Miranda has ever had the role of a Mainstream mega-star as her primary aim. She seems to be in a good place in her life - and I hope she can continue to balance the breadth of styles she showed on TWOTW

Meanwhile, Miranda is in New York City (a place she seems to love - even if launching her album from there may have ruffled a few feathers on Music Row)

She posted this picture, with some of the ladies who've been a big help, behind the scenes, in furthering her career. A pointer, perhaps, for those who say women need to "step up" to make a mark in the music world
    https://twitter.com/mirandalambert/s...13875668791296

They will be at the Madison Square Garden theatre, for the Grammy salute to Sir Elton John, in which Miranda will be one of the performers. Sir Elton has long taken an interest in Country Music, and has performed with a number of female stars, right back, at least, to when Leanne Rimes was launched on the scene, as a teenager, with "Blue". I understand the show will be screened on CBS at some date in the near future.

Actually, it seems the above tribute won't be screened until April 9th (this seems rather a lengthy gap, but may be due to the terms agreed between the various rights holders). CBS do have a couple of satellite channels in the UK - but given the prominence of Sir Elton as a media figure here, the tribute broadcasting rights may be sold to a more widely watched channel - either way, the chances of a screening here seem good.

For those interested, this is a picture of the costume Miranda wore - it was expected that performers would be dressed in bright colours, to honour Sir Elton's reputation for multi-coloured stage attire.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Beoj0cPDtTV/

The song that Miranda sung at this tribute was "My Father's Gun" (a Civil War Confederate themed song - though it's also been sung at home from an Irish perspective). It comes from Sir Elton's most Country influenced album, "Tumbleweed Connection" (made in 1970, with music by Sir Elton and lyrics by Bernie Taupin).

Of particular interest to me is that the album cover was photographed at Sheffield Park railway station, on the Bluebell Line in Sussex (my county). The Bluebell Line was closed in the 1960s, but has been partly re-opened as a tourist attraction. The old Victorian advertising signs can still be seen, and some of the staff dress as Victorian railwaymen, like Sir Elton & Bernie in the photo

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-5CW1tmo752...0/01437852.JPG
    txacar and lizcarlo like this.

(Although these details go beyond Miranda's thread, since comment on the project has been started here, I'll continue it here, as Elton John is not usually discussed on the board, and it doesn't seem worth starting a separate thread.)

A double album will be issued for the Grammy tribute, on April 6th - four days before the US television screening on CBS. It wil have a Country half, called "Restoration", and a Pop half, called "Revamp". The Country half is Bernie Taupin's project (as long term lyricist on most of the Elton John songs, he is said to be mainly responsible for the Country influence, heard at various points throughout Sir Elton's recording career), while the pop half is Sir Elton's own project.

Bernie is the one who asked Miranda to sing on the project - and she says that they discussed songwriting together after the party, and Sir Elton knew several of her songs and quoted her lyrics to her.

These are the artists who sing on the Country album:

“Restoration”
    Little Big Town, “Rocket Man”
    Maren Morris, “Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters”
    Don Henley and Vince Gill, “Sacrifice”
    Brothers Osborne, “Take Me to the Pilot”
    Miranda Lambert, “My Father’s Gun”
    Chris Stapleton, “I Want Love”
    Lee Ann Womack, “Honky Cat”
    Kacey Musgraves, “Roy Rogers”
    Rhonda Vincent and Dolly Parton, “Please”
    Miley Cyrus, “The ***** Is Back”
    Dierks Bentley, “Sad Songs (Say So Much)”
    Rosanne Cash and Emmylou Harris, “This Train Don’t Stop”
    Willie Nelson, “Border Song”

And the Pop album in the double set:

“Revamp”
    Elton John, Pink, Logic, “Bennie and the Jets”
    Coldplay, “We All Fall in Love Sometimes”
    Alessia Cara, “I Guess That’s Why They Call It the Blues”
    Ed Sheeran, “Candle in the Wind”
    Florence + The Machine, “Tiny Dancer”
    Mumford & Sons, “Someone Saved My Life Tonight”
    Mary J. Blige, “Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word”
    Q Tip feat. Demi Lovato, “Don’t Go Breaking My Heart”
    The Killers, “Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters”
    Sam Smith, “Daniel”
    Miley Cyrus, “Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me”
    Lady Gaga, “Your Song”
    Queens of the Stone Age, “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road”

Miley Cyrus, “Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me”
    noooooooooooooo

@PACRadioShowFollowFollow
    @PACRadioShow

More

JUST ANNOUNCED: @mirandalambert's new single will be #KeeperOfTheFlame... impacting Country radio 4/16...

•  
    Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast