Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast
Like Tree846Likes

Thread: Miranda Lambert - The Weight Of These Wings

Miranda has posted a couple of recommendations for other musicians' work

for Oklahoma singer-songwriter, John Moreland

"How does @JohnMorelandOK know everything? A song for every emotion. Thanks John for making me smile & breaking my heart with your words!

for Pistol Annies' bandmate Angeleena Presley's new sophomore album "Wrangled"

"Love this! Y'all go get it. @guitarleena is a kick ass chick. Love ya Ang!

^ Yes I am excited for Angeelina.

hjj likes this.

She is adorable. Her look is cute.

hjj, Farawayhills and flor_mascaro like this.

Quote Originally Posted by lizcarlo View Post
    She is adorable. Her look is cute.
    I love that look, too. The plaits and bandana have symbolic significance for many who follow the Roots scene - they are particularly associated with Willie Nelson, and the musical tradition associated with the Armadillo World HQ - an Austin, Texas venue that was important in the "Hippie-Redneck fusion" of the 1970s, that influenced the development of the Outlaw Country and Red Dirt scenes.

It reminds me that both Miranda and Willie Nelson (on separate tracks) will be involved in duets with Steve Earle, on the latter's upcoming album "So You Wannabe an Outlaw", due for release in June. Details here:

Steve Earle Enlists Miranda Lambert, Willie Nelson for New Album | CMT
    lizcarlo and Josh like this.

Junior Carrie Follower
    I love your wording Farawayhills.

Junior Carrie Follower
    I want to say something positive about Miranda Lambert and just say how beautiful her smile is and how amazing her voice and music is. All awards shows aside, she's talented and country would be that much more empty without her. Just something to lighten the tension if any remains :]
    flor_mascaro likes this.

Miranda Lambert’s “Tin Man” Hits A Rough Patch

There are some troubling signs for Miranda Lambert’s latest single “Tin Man.” It dropped from #38 to #42 on Billboard’s Country Airplay chart, and from #43 to #45 on the Mediabase chart this week. This has to be disappointing for a brand new single from a major star whose arrow on the charts is supposed to be pointing up, not down. The silver lining is the song actually gained spins this week, but it was a very anemic number of 3, allowing for other singles to pass it. That means it’s too early to declare it “done” in radio jargon, but it is hanging on by a thread.
    And if “Tin Man” is declared done in the next week or two, Miranda Lambert’s entire existence on mainstream country radio may follow suit. Lambert fans won’t like to hear this, but after the fate of the first three singles from The Weight of These Wings, this may end up being Miranda’s Americana record in more than just sound and approach. It’s hard to blame Miranda for this development; this has more to do with how country radio handles females, and the fact that if you have a few dud singles, it’s hard to recover. Short of a “Somethin’ Bad” moment, it may be difficult for Miranda to find new life on radio. But we’ll see if “Tin Man” still has some life in it.
    Important Developments From This Week?s Country Radio Charts | Saving Country Music

Why is radio being resistant to Miranda's singles?

My gosh. Play the women songs already !

Concert Stars
    I didn't think Tin Man was released as Miranda's new single, I really thought some radio stations were playing it. I hope it picks up soon.

So I guess WME can't buy her #1s - it's all the label's effort.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Suellen View Post
    I didn't think Tin Man was released as Miranda's new single, I really thought some radio stations were playing it. I hope it picks up soon.
    it was released to radio right after the ACMs for immediate airplay

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    ^^^ It is sad to hear that. Tin Man IMO was one of her best songs on the CD...... And everything WME has done throughout the years with her seems to now be a curse...... What goes around comes around....... I can only feel for Miranda......

I hadn't been able to listen to TWOTW in its entirety because of being so extensive (and I also wanted to listen to it with attention to draw out the themes of the album and make a literary dissection).

So I finally truly paid attention to "Runnin' Just in Case" and so far it has seemed to me the only song where she makes some kind of reference to a "he" (presumably Blake). The rest of the album is perhaps just a reflection of her own emotions and thoughts as a woman in the last couple of years, and that makes it extremely vividly personal and poignant.

I was wondering what the rest of you have made of these lyrics from the song and what Miranda may be referring to"

"'Cause me and Birmingham don't have a history of working out"
    "What I lost in Louisiana I found back in Alabama"
    "What I lost in loving Texas I looked for in all the rest"

Quote Originally Posted by Momin View Post
    I hadn't been able to listen to TWOTW in its entirety because of being so extensive (and I also wanted to listen to it with attention to draw out the themes of the album and make a literary dissection).

So I finally truly paid attention to "Runnin' Just in Case" and so far it has seemed to me the only song where she makes some kind of reference to a "he" (presumably Blake). The rest of the album is perhaps just a reflection of her own emotions and thoughts as a woman in the last couple of years, and that makes it extremely vividly personal and poignant.

I was wondering what the rest of you have made of these lyrics from the song and what Miranda may be referring to"

The song was written by Miranda and her backing singer, Gwen Sebastian (whom she's described as her soul mate and support), without any other writers, so I think it can be seen as particularly personal. It also holds a significant place on the album, as the opening track.

I can't recall the link, but one review suggested that the mention of leaving various towns and states, while remaining in the same broad region, combined with the musical feel of the album - which often identifies more with Alt Country than with current chart music - could be interpreted as Miranda reaching for a different kind of Southern song.

The last reference quoted is actually "What I lost in Lubbock, Texas, I looked for in all the rest". Lubbock was the home town, growing up, of Natalie Maines, of the Dixie Chicks - who is one of Miranda's heroes. Her support for the band, and Natalie in particular, has been among the most noticeable of any current Mainstream Country artist, dating right back to an interview with reporters while she was appearing on Nashville Star (at a time when widespread resentment of Natalie's London concert remark was very strong, and could have cost Miranda considerable support among the TV viewers). Another of her heroes, Waylon Jennings, was from a smaller town in the Llano Estacado, and spent much of his early career working in Lubbock. The city has a rich musical heritage, but there has often been tension between the artists and parts of the general social atmosphere - Lubbock has a reputation of being a bastion of social conservatism (with, for example, opposition to sale of alcohol, and to including birth control advice in school curricula). By contrast, some of the Roots Country and Rock artists who worked in the City have been more critical, or socially liberal, and there have been several songs which reflect the tension between a love for the region, and a disagreement with some of its attitudes. If Miranda is, indeed, referring to the importance of other Southern traditions in music, I believe the reference to Lubbock could be particularly significant for her.

I'm less confidant about the reference to Birmingham - but I think it could also tie in, more loosely, with the theme suggested above. Miranda has mentioned her father's interest in Southern Rock, while she was growing up, and there may be a reference here to Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama". The Southern Rock movement was heavily involved in the fight to get Jimmy Carter elected to the Presidency - and one of their central themes was that it was possible to be a Southerner, loving your region, but supporting progressive social causes. "Sweet Home Alabama" was written in reply to Neil Young's dismissive description (which he later corrected) of the South as reactionary. Neil Young was a Canadian, strongly involved in the California Rock and Country Rock scenes - and the Skynyrd song reminds him that the Watergate scandal was, in fact, engineered by a Californian President (Nixon), not a Southerner. It contains the line "In Birmingham, they love the Governor (Wallace) - but we all did what we could do". The song can be interpreted as a defence of the diversity in Southern attitudes. (For anyone who doesn't know the song, I'd recommend Ashley Ray's hauntingly beautiful cover on a Jay Joyce produced Country tribute album to Skynyrd a few years ago)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJjrIaUr_1s

It may also be worth remembering that Miranda's boyfriend, Anderson East, is from North Alabama (Athens, a little to the East of Muscle Shoals). That region fits well into the theme of an alternative Southern identity - both because of its musical heritage, and because of its history. It supported the Union side in the Civil War, and tried to set up a separate state of Nickajack, with adjoining areas of Tennessee (which Lincoln refused, through concerns over alienating the border states). Jason Isbell, and the Drive-by Truckers, for example, who come from this area, have several songs celebrating the Southern identity, from a more alternative viewpoint.
    lolita55 and Momin like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Momin View Post

I just think it's about travel to escape your problems.

She may not have had good experiences in Birmingham, so she may be reluctant to go back. She lost love in Louisiana and found a new one in Alabama. And I think she is saying Lubbock, Texas. Again, she lost love in Lubbock and tries to find it anywhere. Those are just my interpretations.
    lolita55 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    I think a key point may be the suggestion that Kyle made in that article:

"this may end up being Miranda’s Americana record in more than just sound and approach"

Even before it was released, from what I'd read about its making (and about Miranda's active, but below the radar, year leading up to it), I'd suspected a significant change in her attitude to the format - and the album itself strongly confirmed that. Mainstream radio is unlikely to be generous to an artist who appears to be signalling that she doesn't solidly identify with them.

That remark needs to be clarified - firstly, because I believe there are some songs on TWOTW that could fit successfully onto radio playlists - and secondly, because in the past, radio has played some of her songs that are very far removed from the conventional Nashville radio format demands (such as "Kerosene" and "Fastest Girl In Town" - which involve stylistic links with Americana-leaning artists like Steve Earle and Angaleena Presley, and have a complex verse structure, with hardly any attention to bridge or choruses; and also songs like "All Kinds of Kinds" and "Little Red Wagon", which originated in Alternative Club culture)

But I don't think it's just, or primarily, a matter of the material - but I suspect it's more a matter of perceived attitude. Much of what Miranda has appeared to identify with, in the ambit of this album, can be seen as leaning more to the Alt Country wing - you could take, for example, some of the songwriters she's involved with on the album; the alternative leaning music - drawing from both traditional and progressive influences, but often sounding off-format, with the latter's preference for catchy and recognizable radio tunes; the emphasis on singer/songwriter, introspective themes; the collaborations she's currently involved in, with appearances on records by Steve Earle, John Prine and Brandi Carlile; the wearing of a Stapleton T shirt at the CMAs (also a popular, Roots-emphasizing artist, with shaky radio support); the Texas Outlaw style she wears in the video interview posted a few messages ago; the generally rather detached attitude to conventional interview opportunities and award appearances she's shown recently.

None of these alone are new to Miranda's work - she's never made a secret of her musical links to Roots culture, and "Four the Record" (for example) was strongly Alternative leaning in several of its tracks. But taken together, I believe many in radio may have believed she has been signalling a growing distance from their priorities.

In the UK there is not such a gulf between the genre's wings. TWOTW charted separately in the top 3 on both the Official Country and Americana album charts - but this seems less likely in the US. As far as I know, Miranda has not charted at all on the AMA radio chart (presumably because she's still considered a Mainstream artist) - and her chart hold on Mainstream radio (always patchy, with only two or three number ones, and many singles outside the top ten) has now seemingly become more tenuous (I suspect because she's increasingly seen as Americana leaning). In a divided genre, it can be hard to ride two horses. The very title of the album, TWOTW, suggests to me the pressures of trying to maintain a place in both wings of the Country spectrum.

This situation may not be permanent - TWOTW is a very personal album, and it's possible that a future album may be different in emphasis. But radio can be unforgiving to artists who fail to meet its perceived priorities. The Sony Group have a new female signing in Maren Morris who appears much more willing than Miranda's ever been to meet the General Music-friendly radio demand. Miranda's Vanner label gives her the advantage of a bigger share of revenue - but the downside of not getting much priority in promotional help. This was always patchy, and sometimes (as in the second half of the Platinum era), appeared muddled and haphazard - but it's noticeable that much of the promotion in the present era has come from Miranda herself, her family and management.

As for the fan base, my feeling is that many of them seem less radio focused than the fans of some other artists. It's probably no exaggeration that some sectors of her supporters, for example from the Roots Country and Rock scenes, or Feminist and Gay Women, never listen to Mainstream Country radio at all. It's also noticeable that some well respected fans on social media have been encouraging the wider base to see her more as an Americana artist - and the reaction to recent controversies by some fans of other chart artists and the tabloid media has increasingly helped to turn some Miranda fans away from the Mainstream.

I have little doubt that Miranda will tend to keep much of her critical support (which is more likely to be increased, rather than diminished, by the recent work). This article (which, incidentally, was the one I was thinking about in my previous post, though I then couldn't recall the link), summarizes the way many critics and Country Music bloggers think so highly of her - though it's also likely to bewilder or annoy many radio fans, since most of the artists it mentions have minimal, or no impact at all on Mainstream radio.
    Miranda Lambert once again dominates our Country Music Critics? Poll
    That paradox suggests one of the biggest divisions in Country Music today - the division between those who rate artists primarily in terms of their commercial impact, and those who rate them primarily in terms of the perceived ethos of their music. That division, though, may explain why artists like Miranda have less need of radio support. In my opinion, her possible absence from radio would certainly be a loss to the medium itself, but wouldn't necessarily change other aspects of the impact she makes on the genre.

Thanks for that extensive lesson, Faraway! Truly appreciate you adding to our knowledge all the time.
    Farawayhills likes this.

Miranda posted this picture after the Manchester bombing, with the message "Sending prayers and light":

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAiZXsTWsAEJ--s.jpg

And Gwen posted her own beautiful solo performance of "Dear Old Sun", which they co-wrote for the album, with Terri Jo Box, with the message

"My sweet friend @mirandalambert recorded this song we cowrote w tjtunes. Sending light to #Manchester"

They are due to appear for a concert at the O2 Apollo in Manchester in mid August (along with a planned meet and greet for fan club members)

Inevitably, some discussion has arisen generally around the question of whether tours should go ahead. One band I noticed cancelled a concert in Northampton (which is miles away, in the Midlands), citing sensitivity to the Manchester tragedy as the reason. But Brent Cobb went ahead with a date in Manchester itself the day after the bombing, after posting this message:

"Dear Manchester,
    After much consideration, we've decided tonight's show at The Deaf Institute will go on.
    While we do not want to be insensitive to your tragedy, we also refuse to let terrorism win.
    Our hearts break for your loss and we will be there with you tonight to mourn and help heal.
    With love and many prayers,
    Brent"

I noticed one Miranda fan asking her not to go the UK at all (and got two or three "likes" for the message) When queried on Twitter, she replied something like "Blessings - but not my idol!"
    I'd be very surprised though if that were to be a widespread reaction. I'm pretty sure that most people over here would agree with the sentiment in Brent Cobb's message above - and I should think that Miranda's and Gwen's messages imply that they expect to go ahead.
    Smokyiiis and lizcarlo like this.

I listened to The Weight of These Wings properly for the first time since its release (hadn't been able to do that yet) and I'm still discovering so much as I keep listening to it.

One thing that I particularly felt while listening to Six Degrees of Separation, Bad Boy, Covered Wagon and somewhat on Smoking Jacket (this song I find quite interesting; there's something about it that stands out, although it hasn't really grown on me yet) are that they sound a lot like something Sheryl Crow would sing. Incidentally, I've also come across some videos of Miranda and Sheryl Crow singing together, and I can see that they both admire each other. I wonder if Miranda was really influenced by Sheryl Crow while making this album.

•  
    Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast