Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
Like Tree901Likes

Thread: Miranda Lambert - The Weight Of These Wings

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    We Should Be Friends has definitely grown on me, as have the rest of the songs I didn't care for at first (like Pink Sunglasses). Sometimes it just takes me a few listens to get used to the new sounds and then I end up liking them after all. The more I listen to the album, the more I love it.
    DazzledByCarrie likes this.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    We Should Be Friends has definitely grown on me, as have the rest of the songs I didn't care for at first (like Pink Sunglasses). Sometimes it just takes me a few listens to get used to the new sounds and then I end up liking them after all. The more I listen to the album, the more I love it.
    I love pink sunglasses, I have from the very beginning. But highway vagabond, we should be friends have not.

I don't care for We Should Be Friends. I have tried to like it but end up turning it off to another song. I hope we don't get the worst songs with the best remains unexposed.

Junior Carrie Follower DazzledByCarrie's Avatar
    I started off only liking about half the album. Some of my least favorites became favorites (like Smoking Jacket), but two of them still just do nothing for me: You Wouldn't Know Me and Tin Man. And Tin Man is supposed to be one of the best on the album, but I just can't get into it.

The Opry have posted a short clip of Keith Urban performing part of "Vice", backstage

Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    As it was, it took her seven singles to break into the Mainstream radio top ten, and, to date, she's only had three Billboard number ones.
    I've done a quick calculation, based on her 23 Mainstream singles before the present one - and they have had an average peak Billboard airplay chart position of 14.5 (for comparison Carrie's 23 Country radio singles had an average peak position of 1.4). So Miranda cannot ever really be considered a radio favourite (and this sometimes shows a marked contrast to her critical approval - e.g "Dead Flowers" stands as one of her all-time best-reviewed singles, but barely cracked the radio top 40)
    Faraway, I'm curious to know what made Dead Flowers really stand out? Was it the lyrical composition or the musical arrangement?

Quote Originally Posted by Momin View Post
    Faraway, I'm curious to know what made Dead Flowers really stand out? Was it the lyrical composition or the musical arrangement?
    You can probably get the flavour of the critical reaction from the quotes used in Wikipedia:

Slant: "The track gives her plenty of material to work with and just as many reasons to be optimistic about the quality of that upcoming record. Offering a surfeit of dense, loaded phrases and sharply drawn images, the song hits with devastating accuracy because of how well Lambert sustains its central conceit."

Roughstock: "The lyrics are smart, the melody is moody and the vocal performance is just stunning. This is the kind of song Miranda's always had in her and while I love her rock 'tude, "Dead Flowers" shows us a softer, more tuneful side of Miranda Lambert that wasn't ever really shown to radio fans before."

Frequency: "may be the best song Miranda has ever done. From the lyrics to the vocal delivery to the production, everything is just gorgeous."

I'd say that the steady dominant beat in the verse narrative is somewhat reminiscent of the Rolling Stones' early '70s song, which had the same title (that was one of the Stones' Country songs, written as a result of Gram Parsons' influence on Keith Richards - both songs are laments, but the Stones' is a more morbid reflection on the failed life of a man, whose absent lover considers herself as Queen of the Underground, with references to drugs and laying flowers on the grave. Miranda's is woven around the theme of a woman trapped in a failing marriage, and the imagery is more associated with everyday objects - which, I would say, makes it more relatable and psychologically intimate)

The steady beat of the verses is overlaid by passages involving a variety of more melodic instruments, and it gives way to a sudden outburst in the chorus - but I would say that Miranda's vocal is one of the most memorable features of the song. The verse passages show a sense of melancholy and boredom with the meaningless persistence of the everyday objects, that neither partner seems able to really relate to - and this contrasts effectively with the surging frustration she shows in the power choruses.

There's effective descriptive scene painting in the lyric, and the chorus contains what I consider one of her strongest insights:
    "He ain't feelin' anythin'
    My love, my hurt or the sting of this rain
    I'm livin' in a hurricane
    All he can say is, "Man, ain't it such a nice day?"

This song (the first single from "Revolution") followed "More Like Her" (the last single from "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend") - both Miranda solo writes - and, although they weren't strong chart performers, these are two I'd consider to be among her best work. It was followed by "White Liar" - which I would regard as more clearly focused on market appeal. WL reached #2 on Billboard (and #1 on Mediabase), but my personal feeling is that the other two show the aspects of Miranda's work that I most admire.

Found this boxscore for Miranda (with FGL leading the list of hot tours roundup. Blech. Lol.)

7 MIRANDA LAMBERT
    $901,829
    March 11-19
    BOK Center, Tulsa, Okla. (1/0)
    Van Andel Arena, Grand Rapids, Mich. (1/0)
    19,445 (20,743)

Florida Georgia Line?s Dig Your Roots Tour Carries On, Leads Hot Tours Roundup | Billboard
    rainbow1 and Suellen like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    ^ was just coming to post those.They almost never release her numbers
    lolita55 likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    ^ was just coming to post those.They almost never release her numbers
    They probably released them because they were good. Although with over 19,000 tickets sold I figured the gross amount would be higher.
    maddkat likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan Carrieroxmysox2011's Avatar
    Has We Should Be Friends peaked?

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieroxmysox2011 View Post
    I checked the Mediabase daily chart and it's at 29 today. It says the peak was at 25. Not sure if that is a true peak and it's done or if it just got passed up.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    Found this boxscore for Miranda (with FGL leading the list of hot tours roundup. Blech. Lol.)

7 MIRANDA LAMBERT
    $901,829
    March 11-19
    BOK Center, Tulsa, Okla. (1/0)
    Van Andel Arena, Grand Rapids, Mich. (1/0)
    19,445 (20,743)

Florida Georgia Line?s Dig Your Roots Tour Carries On, Leads Hot Tours Roundup | Billboard
    Is this for one or two concerts?

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Suellen View Post
    Is this for one or two concerts?
    She was in Tulsa for one night on March 11. She had 5 shows between March 11th and 19th, so I wonder if it could possibly be for all 5? That would be about 4,000 people per show, which might be about right depending on her openers. She used to have a mid-level male that would help draw in tickets on past tours, but I'm not sure she has that this time.
    Suellen likes this.
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Her openers on March 11/12 were Aubrie Sellers and Brandy Clark, so they wouldn't really draw much. For the 17-19, it was Old Dominion and Aubrie Sellers. OD might be a little bit of a draw as they've had a couple recent hits.
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieroxmysox2011 View Post
    Pretty much. Blake will pass her tomorrow.Again today it had a negative update (-39/-.266).SN could finally be done with it if she's singing the new single on the ACMs

Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    She was in Tulsa for one night on March 11. She had 5 shows between March 11th and 19th, so I wonder if it could possibly be for all 5? That would be about 4,000 people per show, which might be about right depending on her openers. She used to have a mid-level male that would help draw in tickets on past tours, but I'm not sure she has that this time.
    Billboard boxscores shows it's for just the two dates listed Tulsa & Grand Rapids

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Ok, looked at the Boxscore myself. It appears they listed two shows and whoever posted it above just combined the numbers. They released the Boxscores for the March 11th and March 19th shows, but I guess not the ones in between?
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    She's seems to do pretty good as far as ticket sells go, but I wonder how well she would sell without the megaticket.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Guess it depends on what you call pretty good. She's notorious for not listing all of her shows so you can't get a good sense about how well she's really doing. Windmills always said that was a strong indication that the shows weren't doing that well. And as you pointed out, she has the benefit of the megaticket. Which again highly skews her numbers.
    lolita55 and DazzledByCarrie like this.

Concert Stars
    What's her next single?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

•  
    Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast