Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Kizmet311
  • 2 Post By Kizmet311
  • 3 Post By Farawayhills

Thread: David Nail "Fighter" Era

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars

David Nail "Fighter" Era

David has announced that his new album, "Fighter" will be released July 15th. I'm assuming "Night's on Fire" will be considered the lead single, even though it was released months ago.

Also, he has released some new cover songs that can be streamed on his website,Spotify, Apple Music, and Google, an EP called "Uncovered". It doesn't appear that you can buy it, though, which disappoints me.

The tracklist is:

In the Ghetto
    Can't Feel My Face
    In the Air Tonight
    Send My Love (To Your New Lover)
    Looking for a Good Time (Acoustic)

Anyway, I love David. He is my favorite male artist, so I am very excited that his new album finally has a release date!
    rainbow1 likes this.

Junior Carrie Follower
    He is my favorite male artist as well. Amazing vocalist. Can't wait for the album but until then I am enjoying this EP.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Curr View Post
    He is my favorite male artist as well. Amazing vocalist. Can't wait for the album but until then I am enjoying this EP.
    I love hearing David cover other songs. He used to cover Pumped Up Kicks in concert, so he obviously enjoys some music outside the country genre. In fact, I heard him sing that when he was touring with Gavin DeGraw. It's probably a fitting song since he loves his Jordans so much, haha. My favorite cover is definitely "Someone Like You" though. I adore that 1979 sing/EP, even though it is only 3 songs. David sounds amazing with nothing but him and a piano. I am just disappointed that we can't buy Uncovered. I want it so bad.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Album review for "Fighter". Comes out this Friday!

Album Review: David Nail's 'Fighter' Sounds Like Nashville

Album Review: David Nail’s ‘Fighter’

CHUCK DAUPHIN • JULY 11, 2016 - 9:24 AM

Photo courtesy MCA Nashville

There are few words that can be used to describe the talent of David Nail. When you hear him on a record – or better yet, see him live – you come away with a deep appreciation for his vocal talent. Simply put, one could make the argument that he’s not one of us. On a ballad, his vocals soar into the stratosphere, and on the up-tempo songs, he takes the ordinary lyric and arrangement, and transfers it into a tour de force.
    On his fourth album for MCA, the Missouri native continues to develop his craft. There’s a mix of both styles on the album, with “Good At Tonight” and lead-off single “Night’s On Fire” showcasing the groove side of what Nail does so exceedingly well. Seriously, I don’t know if there is any style of music that the singer can’t master. He’s simply that good.
    ADVERTISING

As usual, the slower material here serves as the “money” performances. And, when it comes to this, Nail can yell “Bank” all over the place. “Home” is a very emotional ode to a place that he is very familiar with, and he knocks it out of the ball park with a vocal where he reels it in from a restraint point of view – but only to dazzle with his commanding warmth as a vocalist. The presence of Lori McKenna also adds to the power of the cut. He also stands toe to toe with Vince Gill (who delivers a jaw dropping guitar intro) on the brooding and intense “I Won’t Let You Go.”
    Photo courtesy MCA Nashville

He also gives the listener a look inside at one of the biggest changes of his life over the past few years – fatherhood – with the sweetly sentimental “Babies,” which will stand as a highlight of the disc among any fan who is a parent. And, as the album cruises to its’ apex, Nail saves the best for the last.
    “Got Me Gone” brings back the grooving side of Nail to the nth degree, with his voice cutting the through the arrangement as light as a feather – yet still as potent as can be. He collaborates with Bear Rinehart and Bo Rinehart of Needtobreathe on the masterpiece “Old Man’s Symphony,” and in perhaps the highlight of the album, he dazzles with the highly underrated Logan Brill on the seductive “Champagne Promise.” Gorgeous and stunning are two words you could use to describe their collaborative effort……and you still wouldn’t be doing it justice. It might be a little too heavy – or adult – for Country Radio, but it’s a true gem in every sense of the word.
    So, David Nail has done it again. With Fighter, he delivers another sterling example of why industry insiders consider him to be one of the most effective vocalists in town. While radio has been behind him, giving him several hits over the years – hopefully this disc will jump him to the head of the class. After all, it’s a place that he deserves to be!

Farawayhills and hjj like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I haven't heard it yet, but will try to check it out.

The collaboration with Logan Brill particularly caught my attention. She's signed with Carnival Records, who have some of the most interesting new artists being introduced to the Mainstream - the label is bucking the current trend towards Pop influence by supporting more Roots-leaning artists. Logan's style incorporates more Blues and Americana influence. Her second album, out last year, also included a collaboration with David Nail, so in that sense he's "returning the favour" by singing with her on his new release.

This is the song from Logan's recent album - it's more of a featured background vocal from David than a full duet, but it illustrates her style well

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    I haven't heard it yet, but will try to check it out.

The collaboration with Logan Brill particularly caught my attention. She's signed with Carnival Records, who have some of the most interesting new artists being introduced to the Mainstream - the label is bucking the current trend towards Pop influence by supporting more Roots-leaning artists. Logan's style incorporates more Blues and Americana influence. Her second album, out last year, also included a collaboration with David Nail, so in that sense he's "returning the favour" by singing with her on his new release.

This is the song from Logan's recent album - it's more of a featured background vocal from David than a full duet, but it illustrates her style well

Thanks, I'll have to listen to that! David's album isn't out until Friday, but I'm sure it will be on Spotify or the other streaming services.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I thought you might interested in this review, by Lisa on the USACountryUK site:

ALBUM REVIEW: DAVID NAIL - FIGHTER - USACOUNTRYUK
    rainbow1, hjj and Kizmet311 like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    I thought you might interested in this review, by Lisa on the USACountryUK site:

ALBUM REVIEW: DAVID NAIL - FIGHTER - USACOUNTRYUK
    Thank you so much. I LOVE this review. I listened to the album a few times while continuing to unpack my new house this weekend and I just love it even more with every listen. Home and I Won't Let You Go are just masterpieces and I love how they feature the piano and guitar solos, respectively. Lori and Vince both sound amazing with David. Other favorites of mine are Champagne Promise and Ease Your Pain. Fighter and Babies are both great songs and I just love how personal David has gotten on this album. Between the hard times in his relationship with his wife, his struggle with depression, and their struggle with infertility, you can just feel his emotion when he sings - he just pours it all out in his songs. I don't think his music is trendsetting or groundbreaking, but I don't think there is anyone in country music that connects to a song so well as David. I really hope country radio supports him beyond just his lead single. I really think he could have a hit with Got Me Gone - it is so sultry and a little different from David. I read that he said his wife's reaction to it was like nothing he had ever seen from her before when he played her a song and that his co-writers thought maybe they were pushing the boundary with how sultry/sexy the song is, but hey, if Conway can do it with "You've Never Been this far Before", Got Me Gone is pretty tame in comparison, lol. I will have to find a time to write a song by song review while listening, but it is hard to find the time between work and family. I need to see if there is any info out there on backing vocals for some of the songs. I can't remember which one, but at least one song had some beautiful backing vocals from a female. He has used Sarah Buxton and Aubrie Sellers in the past, so I was wondering if it was one of them again. I ordered my copy digitally so I'll have to see if I can find the liner credits.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Here is another review of Fighter that I just found while looking for liner notes/credits.

ToC Critic?s Pick: David Nail, ?Fighter?

You won’t find much fluff on David Nail’s Fighter album. In fact, lack of levity is about all a country fan can complain about on the singer’s personal fourth studio album.
    Brothers Osborne join Nail for “Good at Tonight,” a rocker that represents the best of the uptempo. It’s a waterfall of ballads after that, with lyrics that require focus to full appreciate. Find the meat of the album at the middle: “Home,” “I Won’t Let Go,” “Fighter” and “Babies” are personal notes to his hometown, wife, wife and kids, respectively. Here Nail strips naked to show his scars and vulnerabilities. At times it’s voyeuristic. But mostly one can identify his stories in his or her own life.
    “Babies” is the album’s centerpiece. During this song he recounts he and wife Catherine’s struggle to conceive and how his life has changed since becoming a father to twins. The Vince Gill collaboration (“I Won’t Let You Go”) is equally personal, but more approachable. In some ways, the singer uses his voice like Gill does the guitar. Both are patient, expressive and artistic.
    A melodic one-night stand song called “Champagne Promise” is the album’s unicorn — a break before “Old Man’s Symphony,” a ballad written to his father. No single will represent the depth and inward nature of Fighter, as the most vulnerable songs are those he’s very hesitant to perform live. The deep cuts rule on this much-anticipated project.
    Key Tracks: “Good at Tonight,” “Home,” “Babies,” “Champagne Promise”
    Did You Know?: Lori McKenna and Needtobreathe also join Nail on this project.

Read More: ToC Critic’s Pick: David Nail, ‘Fighter’ | ToC Critic?s Pick: David Nail, ?Fighter?

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    For anyone interested, I checked the personnel section for Fighter on Wikipedia and it does list Sarah Buxton for background vocals. She sounded so good with him on Let it Rain and some other songs on "The Sound of a Million Dreams", so I am glad she was able to do BGV for this album. She sounds perfect with David. Aubrie sounds good with him too, but I guess she has her own album to worry about now!

•