Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Farawayhills

Thread: Guy Clark, RIP

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar

Guy Clark, RIP

Following the recent passing of Merle Haggard, the genre is shaken again today by news of the death, at 74, of another of its much loved "elder statesmen", Guy Clark.

Widely regarded as the doyen of Texas songwriters, his gentle, wry, folk-inspired commentaries on life were hugely influential on many of today's singer-songwriters, on both sides of the Atlantic.

Within the last few years, a two disc tribute album by various artists won Album of the Year at the AMAs, and his own last album won the Grammy for Best Folk Album. Despite recent illness, and the loss of his wife and artistic collaborator, Susanna, he could be heard playing on a track on an album by the band Hard Working Americans, released only days ago.

This video shows one of several collaborations he recorded with Emmylou a few years ago

These are a few of the tributes I saw today on Twitter

EliYoungBand Verified account ‏@EliYoungBand 4h4 hours ago Rest in peace, Guy Clark. Thanks for all the years of great songwriting & setting an example of how to perfect a craft. You will be missed

recklesskelly Verified account ‏@recklesskelly 5h5 hours ago We lost one of the greatest songwriters of all time today. He will be remembered & missed. Rest in peace, Guy Clark.

Ray Wylie Hubbard Verified account ‏@raywylie 6h6 hours ago Texas, USA
    bodhisattva's are enlightened beings and archetypes of perfect practice to be emulated. i was fortunate enough to know one named Guy Clark.

Brad Paisley Verified account ‏@BradPaisley 6h6 hours ago Oh Lord, just heard Guy Clark passed away. He was a huge influence on me, and an amazing writer. God bless his soul. What a life.

Jason Isbell Verified account ‏@JasonIsbell 9h9 hours ago
    He was the king of Texas songwriters, and a huge influence on anybody out there trying to do it the right way. We'll miss Guy Clark.

OfficialMaryGauthier Verified account ‏@marygauthier_ 13h13 hours ago RIP to the master, whose acoustic guitar +words made magic. His songs made weathered Texas cowboys cry. #GuyClark

Kelly Willis Verified account ‏@KellyWRobison 13h13 hours ago It's hard to find the words to honor a poet. I'll be listening to his words today. Guy Clark, Rest in Peace.

allison moorer ‏@1allisonmoorer 13h13 hours ago
    Guy Clark always talked to me no matter who I was standing by when we'd see each other. He was a rare combination of gentleman and master.

rosanne cash Verified account ‏@rosannecash 13h13 hours ago Guy Clark: 1941-2016. Travel safe, old friend. I would not be the songwriter I am if I hadn't sat at your table and learned from a master.

Will Hoge Verified account ‏@WillHoge 13h13 hours ago sad to hear of the passing of Guy Clark. A real life legend. Dear Music Row.....write a good song today in his honor.

And one of my favourite instagram tributes, from Spencer Cullum (who played steel on Miranda & Carrie's "Somethin Bad"):
    " spencercullumjrRest in peace to one of the greatest songwriters of all time. I always loved that he never sang about being tough or being macho, it was always about beautifully told story telling, love and home grown tomatoes 🍅 RIP Guy Clark"

RIP Guy Clark
    Prayers for his family.

Concert Stars
    Rest In Peace, Guy Clark.

•