Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Dixie Chicks

Dixie Chicks

Are any of you going to their concert?
    Last edited by maddkat; 09-28-2017 at 08:48 AM. Reason: changed title

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I would love to go. I think they are coming to Louisville. However, I am probably tapped out on money spent on concerts this year with Carrie twice and Adele. If my hubby would go with me, I would consider it, but it's not likely.

I'm glad they're back on tour because everyone was wishing for them to make a comeback.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    If any of you are going to the North American dates, they have an interesting roster of support acts. Two will usually appear in rotation, from this list, at the various concerts

Augustana,
    The Heavy,
    Anderson East,
    Vintage Trouble and Elle King,
    Josh Herbert
    Smooth Hound Smith

In choosing these artists, they seem to have followed two aims - fostering rising talent, and mixing the musical influences (with a general leaning to the Alternative wing)

I posted a video of one of Anderson East's songs earlier, when he accompanied Miranda to the ACMs. Today, I'd also like to draw attention to Smooth Hound Smith, who are a duo, consisting of Zack Smith and Caitlin Doyle.

Their participation on the tour probably stems from their connection with Natalie, who is a fan, and has already sung backing vocals on two tracks on the duo's album. This is a video of Zack and Caitlin performing on Music City Roots a few months ago:

Last edited by Farawayhills; 06-03-2016 at 06:06 AM.
    teesharky likes this.

Concert Stars
    Cool thank you! I am going to see the show in a week or too in NY. Very excited!

Cool - the support acts for the MSG date will be The Heavy, and Josh Herbert.

The Heavy are an English band, with a modern progressive Rock sound. I remember them doing a cover of the Bluegrass/Rockabily classic "Doin' My Time", (originally by Jimmie Skinner, with well-known 1950s versions by Flatt and Scruggs, and Johnny Cash)

Josh Herbert is from Pittsburg. His career has been helped by Emily and her husband - she co-wrote some of his debut EP. This is an example of his work

I can't say much about the Chicks themselves - This is their biggest tour since the hiatus, and they are still a big influence on many today's artists. But as far as we know, there is still no sign of any new trio music. The sisters and Natalie have each released independent work separately - but the signs have been that they have not found it easy to find a common musical direction. If there are any indications of new slants in the way they perform their well-known hits, or any different cover songs in the set list, that may give clues to whether any new development is possible.

I hope those going enjoy the concerts.
    teesharky and Momin like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    I would love to go. I think they are coming to Louisville. However, I am probably tapped out on money spent on concerts this year with Carrie twice and Adele. If my hubby would go with me, I would consider it, but it's not likely.
    If you do manage to make the Louisville concert, Kizmet, the support act will be Elle King, who is probably the best known of this list by quite a margin. Her debut release was co-produced by Carrie's friend, Chris de Stefano, she's since had theme songs for a film and a TV series, and she had two nominations at the last Grammys. Her song "Exs and Ohs" became only the second song in twenty years by a solo female to top Billboard's Alternative chart; it also crossed over to Adult Pop, gaining a second number one there. She plays banjo - which may have attracted her to Emily - and has a strong Alternative Rock vibe

Carrie Guru
    Going to see them in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it.

An interview in Austin just before the tour started, and published in the Oakland Press, acknowledges the creative tensions in the trio. This confirms what many of us had long believed, based on various indications, but which has never been publicly discussed by the Chicks in such detail. This is the key passage from the article suggesting reasons why new trio music has not appeared (and still seems unlikely to).

"Emotional wear and tear certainly influenced the Chicks’ subsequent hiatus. So did personal relationships and family issues. Less acknowledged, however, is musical ambitions that grew apart on both sides — made clear when Robison and Maguire started their rootsy band Court Yard Hounds, while Maines released a rock-leaning solo album, “Mother,” in 2013, recorded with Ben Harper.
    “I always liked what the three of us had and the sound that we made, but country music was not what was the most honest to me,” Maines said. “As great as that sound is, there are rules to that sound. You’ve got to pick songs that can have a banjo or a fiddle, and I wanted everything a little more open.”

However, the Chicks never kowtowed to those perceived rules.

“Our creative decisions weren’t dictated by a radio format or this or that; they were dictated by our instrumentation and three-part harmony, so it felt good creatively,” Maines said.

Robison recalled that she and Maguire, 46, spent “a year of trying to convince Natalie to get in the studio; she didn’t want to, and we had to respect that.” Launching Court Yard Hounds, meanwhile, helped push Maines toward making her own album.

“I’m glad they were doing that because I felt like everyone was waiting for me, and I felt a lot of pressure,” Maines said. “I know they have such a need to do music, and I didn’t like feeling responsible for taking that away from them. And then I could do (a solo album) without feeling like I was cheating on Emily and Martie.”

It made Maines “more willing to play Dixie Chicks shows,” according to Maguire. And as the DCX MMXVI World Tour hits the U.S. there’s still a question of whether the Chicks will record again. Robison and Maguire clearly hope so, but Maguire noted, “We realized a long time ago we couldn’t push (Maines) too hard.” And Maines isn’t sure the three would share much common ground right now.

“I’m sure they’d rather I do a Dixie Chicks record ... but I think it’s hard for me to imagine making a country record,” Maines says. “I think ‘Taking The Long Way’ is as far outside of country as (Robison and Maguire) would be comfortable going. That’s my favorite of our records, but I don’t know that they would say the same.

“But I try not to project, and never say never. So who knows? I guess anything could happen.”

Dixie Chicks fly the coop, return to the road
    Momin and Curr like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    If you do manage to make the Louisville concert, Kizmet, the support act will be Elle King, who is probably the best known of this list by quite a margin. Her debut release was co-produced by Carrie's friend, Chris de Stefano, she's since had theme songs for a film and a TV series, and she had two nominations at the last Grammys. Her song "Exs and Ohs" became only the second song in twenty years by a solo female to top Billboard's Alternative chart; it also crossed over to Adult Pop, gaining a second number one there. She plays banjo - which may have attracted her to Emily - and has a strong Alternative Rock vibe
    I do like Elle King - at least the one song you mentioned! She is also featured on "Different for Girls" on Dierks's new album, although I haven't listened to it yet. As much as it would be cool to see the Dixie Chicks, Dolly is coming to Danville in August and if I'm going to spend more money on concerts, I think I want to see a legend instead! Which reminds me, I think the Dolly tickets went on sale this morning...(goes to see if any are left).

Concert Stars
    I'm going to see them in September! So excited! I saw Shania last year, going to see the Chicks and now all that's left is Garth for the best of the '90s!
    Momin likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by twaintrain View Post
    I'm going to see them in September! So excited! I saw Shania last year, going to see the Chicks and now all that's left is Garth for the best of the '90s!
    Well, of those three, I've only seen Garth! I doubt I'll be making it to see Dixie Chicks. I also will not be making it to see Dolly in Danville, KY. Freaking tickets START at $175. It would be a once in a lifetime show, I'm sure, but I'm not paying that much.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    Well, of those three, I've only seen Garth! I doubt I'll be making it to see Dixie Chicks. I also will not be making it to see Dolly in Danville, KY. Freaking tickets START at $175. It would be a once in a lifetime show, I'm sure, but I'm not paying that much.
    I'm dying to see Garth! I would have already but I was going out of town when he came close to me. I would also love to see Dolly but I already have three more concerts this year, so I don't think I will.

I do hope that the Chicks are able to find common ground to make new music because even the Court Yard Hounds went in the alternative, rock direction, and it was more than they did on Taking The Long Way Around. So I Natalie is able to find a way to come back as a Chick, although it's perfectly understandable if she doesn't.

Does anyone have an idea about how Long Time Gone and Landslide were able to chart so high on the Hot 100? Those were bluegrass songs and they never chart on the Hot 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Momin View Post
    Does anyone have an idea about how Long Time Gone and Landslide were able to chart so high on the Hot 100? Those were bluegrass songs and they never chart on the Hot 100.
    I'm not a chart expert - but I should think "Landslide" charted because it was a Stevie Nicks cover, and the original would be well known to the General Music audience (and a DJ favourite). Also, a remix was issued for that market (I think the only time this was done for a Chicks recording)

I don't know of a specific reason for "Long Time Gone" charting. It is a very Country-focused song, written by Darrell Scott (well known on Roots radio - but not widely known outside that market.) However, it is a very cleverly constructed song, which combines an attack on Mainstream radio with a lament for the passing of an older rural way of life, with a sarcastic warning that it ain't coming back again. (The latter is interpreted as a criticism of songs that try to mask their lack of Roots music with a veneer of rural stereotypes) This theme may have appealed to the Rock audience.
    It may also have been helped by a video, which was sympathetic to Mexican immigration (a longstanding point of conflict, in several songs, between Texan Outlaw musicians, and the more conservative and controversy-averse Mainstream industry - Miranda Lambert, for example, is also currently skirting possible election year controversy in her concert covers of "Willin'", an older song which also refers sympathetically to immigrants crossing the border surreptitiously)
    The bottom line is that "Long Time Gone" can be seen as an unorthodox, rebellious song - and this may have appealed to General Music fans and DJs who wouldn't normally bother with Country or Bluegrass - but that is only a tentative suggestion.
    Momin likes this.

This intrigued me - it may be just a coincidence, but on the tour, the Chicks finish "Better Way" (a Ben Harper cover) with a drum routine which reminded me of part of Carrie's ACM "Church Bells" performance. It's not an exact match, of course, but I enjoyed the fact that two artists I like were using a rather similar motif. The central figure (Natalie) pounds the drum front on, while the two sisters come in from the sides, somewhat reminiscent of the two figures who stood either side of Carrie.

Momin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    Cool - the support acts for the MSG date will be The Heavy, and Josh Herbert.

The Heavy are an English band, with a modern progressive Rock sound. I remember them doing a cover of the Bluegrass/Rockabily classic "Doin' My Time", (originally by Jimmie Skinner, with well-known 1950s versions by Flatt and Scruggs, and Johnny Cash)

Josh Herbert is from Pittsburg. His career has been helped by Emily and her husband - she co-wrote some of his debut EP. This is an example of his work

I can't say much about the Chicks themselves - This is their biggest tour since the hiatus, and they are still a big influence on many today's artists. But as far as we know, there is still no sign of any new trio music. The sisters and Natalie have each released independent work separately - but the signs have been that they have not found it easy to find a common musical direction. If there are any indications of new slants in the way they perform their well-known hits, or any different cover songs in the set list, that may give clues to whether any new development is possible.

I hope those going enjoy the concerts.
    According to my own tastes, I like his other songs better. But I do see why the Chicks picked him.

The official YouTube channel for the Chicks has been uploading some of their performances from the tour (there's an entire DVD of the tour as well; those of you who want it can get your hands on it now).

I like seeing new videos by them even if they are of their previous songs. Gives me a feeling of them still being around. I do, however, prefer some of their studio versions over their live ones like for "Long Time Gone". The version they do on the tour also has drums. Personally, the very acousticness of the album version is a gem for me.

One thing about their vocals though which has been noted by some people on YouTube as well in the comments: Natalie's voice seems off, perhaps because of being auto-tuned. I do agree with one of the comments that I prefer her natural voice over this one; that was more raw and powerful. However, another comment says that she has had some vocal problems in recent years and to avoid any bad vocals, they have used auto-tune. I don't know how factual this is though.

I asked Donna to rename this thread to simply 'Dixie Chicks' so that we could discuss them in more detail. I'll post something tomorrow that I had in mind.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast