Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By kiwicountry
  • 1 Post By pklongbeach

Thread: Sam Hunt - sophomore album

Junior Carrie Follower

Sam Hunt - sophomore album

Okay so I know he's only started writing for his new album and some people on here don't think he's very country but I am already excited about what he's got in store for album number two!! I don't think it's too early to start this thread (well perhaps it is but don't care).

So what would you guys like to see on his new album? More country feeling music?

I personally think his next album will be a step up from Montevello but will probably not stray too far from the sound he created - when your first album is such a hit, the second should be an extension of that, but subtlety pushes the boundaries to where you want to head to next on your third album. Switching your sound up completely on a second album can run the risk of alienating the fans you made from the first album.

You need people to buy into your brand and what it is you are selling. This is why what Taylor did was so smart and well thought out. Her second album hinted at a pop sound but was still country enough to be country. Her third album turned the notch up on the pop and then her fourth was really straddling the line. This way she was able to cross over into that pop arena and build up that fan base so that when she went complete pop with 1989 and lost some country fans (she would have lost a couple, not much but a few) she made up for it because she already had all the pop fans following her. It was a great game plan and it worked. She is now one of the biggest pop stars out. Also she release her music internationally to countries like mine with a different version of her singles i.e. we got pop sounding songs released here to our radio and America got a country version. That was also very smart, because in those countries where country music is not that popular she was able to create a fan base. Say what you like about her music but she knows business!

So will be interesting to see where Sam takes his brand on his next album.

Huge Carrie Follower CarrieUDomination's Avatar
    I hope to see more songs like Take Your Time, Break Up in a Small Town, Single for the Summer, and Ex to See. Those are very probably his most pop-sounding songs but I love them, and I hope he continues in that direction.

Concert Stars
    the only thing that he's run into is that Montevallo he was on a mission and had direct inspiration on all the songs for that album since it was about an ex girlfriend, where as with that over and his success where it's at, he needs to bring in more inspirations from other parts of his life that he has now and I'm sure he will bring in his family values into his songs and being from the south and all that. I do see him still using that talk-sing technique that he brought in Take Your Time and Break Up in a Small Town for his next album cause he does it so effortlessly and easy and it is what makes him different and unique.

I'm sure he will know what will be right for this next album and what to stay away from, he's very smart and intelligent and will know what each song will bring and what kind of sound each song will have and he is a perfectionist and will fix something until it's absolutely perfect. He's said before that the song Come Over that Kenny Chesney sang and made famous, even when that song had hit #1 and all that Sam still wondered about making part of the song better. He's crazy LOL. But that's what I love about him. He won't do anything unless he knows it's absolutely ready and perfect. I can see him possibly bringing in more ballad type songs, he's said before he loves writing ballads more than anything else so it wouldn't surprise me if he tries and gets more ballads for the next album. Of course he loves the upbeat songs he's done especially for concerts since they hype the crowd but he loves his ballads. I would like to maybe see him possibly do some collabs with some other country artists or duets cause that would be awesome, and knowing how amazing his voice and Carrie's voice blended together so well in Heartbeat, I wouldn't mind a full duet with them two cause that would make my heart fly LOL!

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I think Sam has an excellent voice and I loved his harmony with Carrie on Heartbeat. I was the one that recognized his voice first on the song (as far as CF goes). I think some of his songs are catchy, especially Leave the Night On and Take Your Time is a pretty ballad. I don't mind too much the pop and R&B influences in country music - I think Keith Urban and Rascal Flatts, along with Carrie have always pushed the pop/contemporary boundaries of country music. The main problem I have is with artists that start out country and use it as a stepping stone to build an audience so they can go pop. I never had a problem with Taylor's music, but always had a problem with her chasing the pop audience and remixing to pop. I'm not going to say that it isn't a smart business move - it was obviously incredibly smart for her, but I hate that type of career building. Now that Taylor is pop, where she probably always wanted to be, I love 1989 and I wish her all the success in the world. At this moment, I don't have a huge problem with Sam and like some of his songs, although I don't feel his voice or style is very country at all, much more so than the three artists I mentioned already. There is very little country character in his music, but if he truly wants to be a country artist and doesn't chase pop airplay, then I won't complain about him. However, if he starts chasing pop airplay and the pop audience, then I will wish him well and hope he exits the genre much more quickly than Taylor did since it took her until her fifth album to get out of the country genre. I just don't appreciate artists that use country as a stepping stone to pop fame. If he wants to stay in country, but push the boundaries, fine.

Junior Carrie Follower
    I want to see more ballads as well because he does have a lovely singing voice & it would be nice to see him showcase that side of his music a bit more. Speakers is one of my favourite songs of his as well as Come Over. A proper duet would be awesome & if it's with Carrie that's even better cause their voices did mesh well! I read he has writers block at the moment so let's hope some time off will allow him to get inspired ��
    Audra likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwicountry View Post
    I want to see more ballads as well because he does have a lovely singing voice & it would be nice to see him showcase that side of his music a bit more. Speakers is one of my favourite songs of his as well as Come Over. A proper duet would be awesome & if it's with Carrie that's even better cause their voices did mesh well! I read he has writers block at the moment so let's hope some time off will allow him to get inspired 🙂
    god, Speakers is AMAZING. I love the song and his voice in it is just so soothing. And yeah he's having writers block right now since he has to kinda figure out what to grab his inspiration from to create new songs, and I'm sure being home and having a well deserved vacation will help him get inspired again.

Junior Carrie Follower
    I just heard body like a back road.. i'm sorry for the language but what the actual eff? this song is literal ****? it has an uncle kracker sound to it, but wow I did not expect whatever that atrocity was.

Also, I know this isn't relevant to Carrie. I just don't know where else to post this and had to say it.

I don't have much to say other than I really like Take Your Time! Yeah he isn't country lol, but I do enjoy his music so much more than say..... FGL, Luke Bryan, Jason Aldean etc.

Concert Stars
    I think Sam is honest enough with the sound he likes and promotes that he will continue to do the same and continue to have the same success. He is going to get tons of support so he does not have to worry about it getting air play. As for public interest, it seems to continue to go strong so I see no real concern there either.

I think its going to be big. Probably not huge, and likely will not get critical support or award success. But I think what he wants is for people to respond to his music and to have real authentic public support. And that is what he will get. Just like with the first one.

(I personally wish he would get more critical and award support. I see no difference between what he does and any other solo male artist. I mean, we really can't sit here and support TFighter and complain about Sam not being "country", I mean come on........ He makes music people like and it has great success. why should he not get critical support for that. That is exactly what TSwift did and she got TONS of industry support...........why?)
    lolita55 likes this.

•