Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By prettylittlemustang
  • 1 Post By Kizmet311
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills

Thread: Cam, 'Untamed' (Debut Album)

Huge Carrie Follower

Cam, 'Untamed' (Debut Album)

Cam's debut album Untamed comes out this Friday (Dec. 11), and it's streaming now on Entertainment Weekly.

Over 11 tracks, Ochs meshes old-school country storytelling (a result of a grandfather who was a Patsy Cline devotee) with gorgeous harmonies (a nod to her high school obsession with the Indigo Girls), and an unapologetic commitment to her craft (which she credits to being inspired by St. Vincentís handiwork, but weíre willing to bet itís a trait she comes by all her own).
    Cam's Untamed: Stream a first-listen of her debut album on EW | EW.com

My thoughts: A pretty strong album with some great lyrics and some complex production. I'm hoping first-week sales are decent.
    Suellen and gocountrymusic like this.

Huge Carrie Follower CarrieUDomination's Avatar
    I love the album! I can't believe some critics are slamming it, I think it's a whole lot of fun, and Cam has a great voice. My favorites at the moment are Untamed, Hungover on Heartache, Burning House, My Mistake (my favorite), Runaway Train, and Half Broke Heart.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I have listened to the album a couple of times through Amazon Prime. I think it is really good. I also love Untamed and Runaway Train. Runaway Train might be my favorites (except for Burning House, of course!).

Also, I know that I am probably reading way too much into this, because Cam and Carrie appear to be friendly with one another (or maybe that is just because they are professional acquaintances and label mates). But, Country Ain't Pretty (may not be the exact title) sure seems like a slam towards someone like Carrie. Perhaps if it didn't talk about having multiple hits on the radio or soy lattes (since Carrie is vegan) or even a comment about legs, it wouldn't have struck me that way, but it sure feels like a bit of a dig at someone like Carrie.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Lyrics for Country Ain't Never Been Pretty.

Her high heels on the red carpet
    Her perfect hair blowing in the wind
    With her designer jeans and fake eyelashes
    Crooning "thanks, y'all!" to the crowd between the flashes

She may be singing 'bout the country
    And putting out the hits
    But those boots sure never stepped in horse****
    So thank God she lives in the city
    Cause country ain't never been pretty

You hear the rooster crow at the crack of dawn
    And you've already been at it for hours
    You're thankful there's no cameras, cause you make an awful face
    That first sit in the cold tractor seat just can't be done with grace

'Stead of hairspray and curls, you've got hay and dirt
    Slammed your unpainted nails in a barn door
    But it's alright to look kind of ****ty

It's as simple as it seems
    Who needs brand-name jeans?
    Your man's hands are gonna cover the label anyways

Country ain't never been pretty, and that's alright
    Cause if your head's on straight, your hair will be fine
    You might not get it at first, but you'll come around
    And see, your legs look great with both feet on the ground
    All right
    Please stop me if you get it already
    Country ain't never been pretty

You can spend eight hours at the gym every day
    But then who would bail the hay?
    You can iron your shirt and polish your boots
    But then you may as well go put on a suit

The glitter and glamor, the fortune and fame
    The sugar-free soy vanilla lattes
    Leave all that to the folks in the city

It's easier than you think
    Just buy a round of drinks
    Beer goggles are cheaper than Gucci glasses anyway

Country ain't never been pretty, and that's alright
    Cause if your head's on straight, your hair will be fine
    You might not get it at first, but you'll come around
    And see, your legs look great with both feet on the ground
    All right
    Please stop me if you get it already
    If you've heard anything I've said in this ditty
    I'll say it plain; I'm not trying to be witty
    Country ain't never been pretty

Junior Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    I have listened to the album a couple of times through Amazon Prime. I think it is really good. I also love Untamed and Runaway Train. Runaway Train might be my favorites (except for Burning House, of course!).

Also, I know that I am probably reading way too much into this, because Cam and Carrie appear to be friendly with one another (or maybe that is just because they are professional acquaintances and label mates). But, Country Ain't Pretty (may not be the exact title) sure seems like a slam towards someone like Carrie. Perhaps if it didn't talk about having multiple hits on the radio or soy lattes (since Carrie is vegan) or even a comment about legs, it wouldn't have struck me that way, but it sure feels like a bit of a dig at someone like Carrie.
    I read the lyrics you posted and I don't think it's a dig at Carrie. Carrie grew up on a farm and has always had her roots planted in the country life. Carrie has also said she does her own washing and cooking when on tour just like she does at home.

With the vegan reference, I think Cam is talking about those types of people who only drink soy latte's as a fad, something to make them look and appear cool rather then those who drink it because they are actually vegan.

If this song was about anyone, then the first person that comes into my mind is Taylor Swift not Carrie. I know Taylor has gone pop now but still it could be a reference to her, Cam's had some of these songs for a while now so it could have been written before 1989 came out.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I haven't heard the album yet - I'll try to give a fuller comment when I have.

Going solely by the lyrics that Kizmet posted, I'm not too keen on that song - the theme seems a bit cliched, and the implied clash between a "down home" image and a more sophisticated one is actually a bit artificial, because thousands of women (both in music, and in everyday life) prove that it's very possible to have elements of both.

I don't think it's a jab at Carrie. I actually think we sometimes worry too much on that score. Generalizing beyond this particular song, I have noticed a few times before, on this board, that when somebody finds a general disparaging reference to personalities who appear to focus on a glamorous or stagy image, with the implication that this suggests a lack of deeper commitment to their music, that it leads to a discussion that it might be an attack on Carrie. But what puzzles me is why we should be tempted to see such descriptions as a reference to Carrie at all. Do we really see Carrie as half fitting into that mould, so that it's necessary to assume it will be thought to apply to her?

I guess we all see her in a slightly different light - I've never seen her primarily as a celebrity, a sophisticate, a glamour model, a starlet or a "diva". She is extraordinarily talented - but her once-in-a-generation quality comes from her talent, her hard working professionalism, and her personality. Beyond that, she's always struck me as a "down home" girl, with a pleasing sense of realism, and an underlying normality. Although I've never met anyone with her voice and empathy with the content and structure of a song - I feel I've met many people who remind me of Carrie in other ways. It's that basic sense of ordinariness which makes it hard for me to see Carrie in the way some of the contrasting images are suggested in generalized comments. When those images are painted - it isn't Carrie that comes to my mind.

Carrie comes from a thoroughly Country background - and I think that's reflected in many of her attitudes, and in the life style her interviews and many of her "off duty" photos suggest. Country doesn't mean "corn-ball" - it's a much more complex and varied set of influences and values that shape people's life. People grow from and broaden those influences, but they are part of the bedrock that shaped their early years.

Loretta played a big part in planning her tribute album, sending hand written notes to the artists chosen. When she saw Carrie as worthy to sing "When you're looking at me, you're looking at Country", I think she got that right.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    I love that, Faraway!! ^

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I listen to untamed, thought it was ok. It did not make me want to listen to again tho. I will give it another shot to see if it draws me in more the 2nd time around.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    I haven't heard the album yet - I'll try to give a fuller comment when I have.

Going solely by the lyrics that Kizmet posted, I'm not too keen on that song - the theme seems a bit cliched, and the implied clash between a "down home" image and a more sophisticated one is actually a bit artificial, because thousands of women (both in music, and in everyday life) prove that it's very possible to have elements of both.

I don't think it's a jab at Carrie. I actually think we sometimes worry too much on that score. Generalizing beyond this particular song, I have noticed a few times before, on this board, that when somebody finds a general disparaging reference to personalities who appear to focus on a glamorous or stagy image, with the implication that this suggests a lack of deeper commitment to their music, that it leads to a discussion that it might be an attack on Carrie. But what puzzles me is why we should be tempted to see such descriptions as a reference to Carrie at all. Do we really see Carrie as half fitting into that mould, so that it's necessary to assume it will be thought to apply to her?

I guess we all see her in a slightly different light - I've never seen her primarily as a celebrity, a sophisticate, a glamour model, a starlet or a "diva". She is extraordinarily talented - but her once-in-a-generation quality comes from her talent, her hard working professionalism, and her personality. Beyond that, she's always struck me as a "down home" girl, with a pleasing sense of realism, and an underlying normality. Although I've never met anyone with her voice and empathy with the content and structure of a song - I feel I've met many people who remind me of Carrie in other ways. It's that basic sense of ordinariness which makes it hard for me to see Carrie in the way some of the contrasting images are suggested in generalized comments. When those images are painted - it isn't Carrie that comes to my mind.

Carrie comes from a thoroughly Country background - and I think that's reflected in many of her attitudes, and in the life style her interviews and many of her "off duty" photos suggest. Country doesn't mean "corn-ball" - it's a much more complex and varied set of influences and values that shape people's life. People grow from and broaden those influences, but they are part of the bedrock that shaped their early years.

Loretta played a big part in planning her tribute album, sending hand written notes to the artists chosen. When she saw Carrie as worthy to sing "When you're looking at me, you're looking at Country", I think she got that right.
    I think that as fans and people who take the time to "get to know" who Carrie really is, we know that she is as down home as it gets. She did grow up on a cattle farm in a one stoplight town in Oklahoma. Her upbringing is probably as country and small town as it gets. However, she is also a sorority girl, shy and quiet (often interpreted as being a snob or rude), competed in pageants, and started her career on the biggest "pop" talent show in America at the time. These are just the things that a lot of people see on the surface. Carrie has also been criticized for being too pop and not country enough with sale/airplay success and not as much critical acclaim, her legs are often her most praised physical asset, she is a known vegan (which is completely contrary to her country upbringing), and we all know she can glam it up as well as the biggest Hollywood stars on the red carpet. I'm just kind of going by how Carrie may be seen on the surface, by the general public and I think to a lot of people she is that power ballad singer who is beautiful and glamorous. Cam probably didn't have Carrie in mind specifically when she wrote the song (if she wrote it), but she definitely seems to have had that type of stereotypical image in mind of artists like Carrie, Faith, Shania, Taylor, etc. Cam's song is the one that seems to me to be saying you can't be both country and "pretty", when we all know that Carrie is very much both, although she often isn't given credit for being both. I know that there are people out there that know just how down to earth, humble, and "normal" Carrie is, but sometimes I think the general knowledge of her is very much in tune with Cam's song that she isn't country enough because she's vegan and too "glamorous".

•